Mask Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone compared Oceanic Shadow with Atomic Frameless (also if both fit, or only one of them)?.

What are the differences in the FOV?

And about X-vision and atomic, could you quantify the difference in FOV (degrees) or at least try to describe it?

I find black skirt masks easier to see out of, if Im dong shallow OW dives the light coming in around the skirt is annoying, think sun coming in the side window when driving, for me that is anyway. You say you are looking at mid size masks so Ill assume you have a smaller than average face, I had many problems trying to find a mask that fitted properly and didnt leak and eventually ended up buying an apollo Bio-Metal mask, mid size, small internal volume, metal frame with a black skirt, for me its a great mask, I tried a mares X-vision Mid liquid skin on land seemed like a good fit in the ocean it leaked something wicked. Good luck

Unfortunately, I don't think you can know until you dive it. I've had masks that seemed to fit great and then leaked annoyingly in the water. But, just so I'll have something positive to say, I've found that its important to not tighten the straps too tight. Not only is this less comfortable, but it makes leaks worse instead of better. I've suggested this to others on occasion and it has been helpful. It seems counterintuitive, but it does seem to work.

I agree with Inotec about lose straps. That definitely helps, however there are some of us out there that just cannot find a fitting mask. If I had a dollar for every mask I tried on and money back for the mask I bought, I would have a mask made just for me.

Has anyone compared Oceanic Shadow with Atomic Frameless (also if both fit, or only one of them)?.

What are the differences in the FOV?

And about X-vision and atomic, could you quantify the difference in FOV (degrees) or at least try to describe it?

I tried the Shadow and Atomic Frameless side by side. The Atomic has a little better FOV, but I didn't spend a lot of time comparing because the Shadow didn't fit as well.

The Atomic has better FOV vertically and horizonatlly than the Mares X, mostly because the lens is a little closer to the eyes. The one piece lens gets rid of the nose obstruction, and you hardly notice anything in the middle. And the goofy notch in the Mares outer upper corners is noticeable compared to the Atomic.

Both the Mares and Atomic passed the suction test. I ended up keeping the Mares Liquid Skin because I have never set a mask on my face that fit like this. The dry fit is absolutely perfect. I can only hope it will be that way wet.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I tried the Shadow and Atomic Frameless side by side. The Atomic has a little better FOV, but I didn't spend a lot of time comparing because the Shadow didn't fit as well.

The Atomic has better FOV vertically and horizonatlly than the Mares X, mostly because the lens is a little closer to the eyes. The one piece lens gets rid of the nose obstruction, and you hardly notice anything in the middle. And the goofy notch in the Mares outer upper corners is noticeable compared to the Atomic.

Both the Mares and Atomic passed the suction test. I ended up keeping the Mares Liquid Skin because I have never set a mask on my face that fit like this. The dry fit is absolutely perfect. I can only hope it will be that way wet.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Yes fit first, FOV second.

Because my Shadow fits, now I'm almost certain Atomic won't, so probably for backup mask I will get another Shadow.

Because Atomic is so recomened I was wondering if I lose that much.

Hi Belmont-
Could you explain why you like black/clear skirts for different environments? I don't dive enough to justify buying two $80 masks. I'll have a backup by keeping my old one around. One thing I don't like about the Liquid Skin is most of the skirt isn't clear, it's a bright blue that is somewhat translucent, so light entering the skirt is tinted blue. If I'd known that, I would have ordered a different color. Mares doesn't make the mid skirt in black, so since my wetsuit & fins are blue this was the natural choice. The blue tint is a little distracting, but I hope it won't be noticeable during a dive. Everything is blue enough without adding some.
-Brad

My first mask was all clear. I soon purchased a mask with a black skirt and have been happily diving a black mask every since. However I see a fair number of experienced technical divers wearing clear mask. Is there a scientific advantage to this or is this just old school?

This information I listed below may have been listed in the tech tips on the Dive Rite web site. I don’t remember where I found this. However, this sure makes a strong argument for black skirts in any environment.

Clear skirts on masks are popular because they minimize the claustrophobic feeling some people get when they wear a mask. Nevertheless, clear skirts and even colored frames actually interfere with vision. Extraneous light entering through the clear skirt makes it more difficult for the eye to focus and causes reflections that obscure vision. Demonstrate this by looking out a window from a lighted room at twilight. You will see better by cupping your hands around your eyes as you press your face to the window. Brightly colored glossy accent frames can also cause annoying color halos around the lenses. For these reasons, knowledgeable divers seeking the best possible vision prefer masks with solid black skirts and frames.

The mask chooses the diver.

Very Zen, but also very accurate. Atomic Frameless Mid for about a year. Just got a ScubaPro Spectra (also black skirt :eyebrow:) So far in pool sessions it's as dry as anything. I'll have to see how it is in the big pond. Maybe another mask has chosen....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom