Mask Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradsab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, I've tried several masks, and I'm down to two. The Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin and the Atomic Frameless. Both are midsized models. Both fit much better than my old mask. The Mares fits me perfectly, like it was made for my face, but I absolutely love the view out the Atomic. I don't think it would be possible to get a better fit than I'm getting with the Mares. Period. But the Atomic... WOW! The field of view is better horizontally and vertically. Plus, the lens is closer to my eyes, and between that and the one-piece lens it makes the nose almost unnoticeable. I bought both with the understanding I'd return one of them. If I get them wet, I can't return them, so I'm left with dry fitting them. I'm certain the Atomic will seal better than my old mask, but... what would you do? Go for the even better comfort/fit of the Mares X, or the better view of the Atomic Frameless? I would buy the Atomic in a heartbeat, but when I strap it on, and exhale through the nose, the air exits at the temples. When I do this with the Mares, the air exits under the nose, so it would seem to be much better for clearing. Your opinions, please!

For me, the only important issue is if it leaks. If after a mask is tried and it does not leak, then you should weight the other factors. On balance, a mask that does not leak is 95% of the equation. My lovely bride has gone through 6 masks. All leak and we are still looking.

First of all hello! I wish I was closer to you both, you would be welcome to try my masks if it would help to eliminate bad choices. I have just started diving an Atomic frameless and it is a great mask. Probably my favorite so far. I have become a little more descriminatory in my mask choices. By far for me the Atomic offers the greatest field of view and clears so easy. Idealy it would be great to try both. I made my choice based on ; fit, size, compactability, field of view, construction. I hate to admit it I bought the framless for a spare pocket mask. As I trained with it, I fell in love! I can see so much more! The ease of clearing is what really sealed the deal for me personaly. I have been on a few bad mask dives and they can be not pleasent. The best advice I could give pick the mask that fits you well, low volume easy-clearing, and train with it. Go through all of the mask skills till its habit! Then decide if it is a keeper. It sucks to make a bad choice but it's better to try and fail than not try at all. There are some really cool, great masks out there and one that will be perfect for you. Any dive buddies with masks, ask to give them a try. I see you are in Ill. if you dive Gilboa Quarry in Ohio P.M. me, you can give my mask a try sometime. Good luck and have fun. Just thinking about masks makes me excited to visit my local dive shop. Cam G Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Definitely go with the better fit. You'll be kicking yourself if the other one leaks.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. As much as I like the Atomic Frameless, I'm leaning toward the Mares X Liquid Skin. I wish I could try these in water before sending one back. I don't think either one will leak, at least not like my old one. What I like about the Mares is when I exhale through my nose, the air exits under my nose, not at the temples like the Atomic. I think this will give me absolutely brainless clearing. With the Atomic, I have to tweak it with my hand to get the air to exit the bottom. Man, I wish I'd never tried on the Atomic; the view is almost the same as without a mask. Wish I could transplant the Liquid Skin skirt onto the Frameless lens, then I'd have the perfect mask. Oh, and I'd use the Atomic strap & buckles, too; they're a lot better. And I really like the black skirt. Shoot, I'm talking myself into the Atomic...

Desided to replace my old mask with a new Mares Liquid Skin because I really liked the way it fit and felt. I am not quite as happy after a week of diving with it in Bonaire. One problem - leaks. The mask would leak at the beginning of every dive, but would be OK at the end of the dive. I never had this problem with my old mask. By the end of the week it was getting better. I still like the way it feels and will continue to dive with it, hoping the leak issue resolves itself as it appeared to be doing.

Keep both of them, one black and one clear for different environments.

Hi Belmont-
Could you explain why you like black/clear skirts for different environments? I don't dive enough to justify buying two $80 masks. I'll have a backup by keeping my old one around. One thing I don't like about the Liquid Skin is most of the skirt isn't clear, it's a bright blue that is somewhat translucent, so light entering the skirt is tinted blue. If I'd known that, I would have ordered a different color. Mares doesn't make the mid skirt in black, so since my wetsuit & fins are blue this was the natural choice. The blue tint is a little distracting, but I hope it won't be noticeable during a dive. Everything is blue enough without adding some.
-Brad

I presume you tried the suction test on both masks?
Placing it in position without the strap then inhaling and seeing if it stays there with a good seal.
If you have and the both work Id go with the atomic frameless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom