Mask Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi bradsab,

My 2 cents: Keep them both. The bubbles exiting your temples should not concern you, that's just how the Atomics mask is. You can actually see a bubble stream from my temples if you look closely at my avatar picture on the left :D
Unfortunately, I lost my Atomics, and I lost another mask shortly after that. That is why I recommend keeping both. In my opinion, one should have a backup mask, always. Even if you're way less prone to losing things, it is good to have something to fall back on. With my Atomics, for example, I am still not convinced that I really lost it. I was on a boat on a lake, with no wave action or anything that could have knocked the mask overboard, but one moment I sat it down and next thing I know it was gone. The only issue I had with the Atomics was that after two or three dives, the nose pocket would press into my nostril area, causing minor discomfort. That is the only reason why I have not replaced it - otherwise, I still think it is one of the finest pieces of equipment I've ever owned.

What is it about the black skirt that turns you on?

Matching heels?

lol

Seriously... I'm curious... I just haven't developed a fondness for the darker colors.

Practical reasons - if you do photography, you will find that the black skirt blocks out stray light coming in through the clear skirt that otherwise makes it hard to see what's on the dimly lit camera screen. If you don't do photography, it is six one way or half a dozen the other, or however that saying goes, I can never remember it.

Ron-
I bought the masks from LP, but they say if you get them wet, they can't be returned. Thought about doing that anyway, and cleaning them up good, but there were some tags that couldn't have been reattached to look the same.
The quick pool dip was spent mostly checking other gear, so I'm hoping for better results when there's more time. If the Liquid Skin leaks in Bonaire, I'll be looking for an Atomic dealer there. If the Frameless leaks it'll be back to square one...

I have a Atomic sub-frame and I love it. It's built like a tank and is very comfy. I have found that Atomics are finicky about how tight the strap is and how it's positioned on the back of your head. They like to be tightened just enough to hold in on and have the strap pulling as straight as possible. Like "Pterandon" said it will tend to stream a small stream of bubbles from the top, but if you fine tune the strap it'll stop. I also have a Mares X-Vision and it's so-so. My vote would be for Atomic

Ron-
I bought the masks from LP, but they say if you get them wet, they can't be returned.

Thanks, that is good to know! I was under the impression that you could try it and return it from LP.

I had the same problem as well my cressi penta (pretty) leaked at least a little in pool/OW check-outs then on/off in the riviera maya, then at 80ft in Cozumel the thing started pouring in. Keep in mind this mask was only a few months old. Went back to my LDS and tried another penta (new) and this was sucked to my face, whereas my "old" one would no longer do so. So... After cozumel I tried my wife's Oceanmaster (~6-8? years old) and the next two dives were perfectly dry.
Makes me wonder if some masks don't get hideously worse as their plastic gets aged/stressed.
-It WAS nice to feel the mask suck to my face at depth, though. My old one would always feel like it was about to float off my face.--Try diving when you're holding your mask on the whole time with BOTH hands.. LOL

Just returned from Bonaire. The Liquid Skin is a keeper. It leaked like crazy at first, but I found if I kept my upper lip back on the mouthpiece, it would stay completely dry. After a few dives, it became natural. Thanks for all your replies!

OK, I've tried several masks, and I'm down to two. The Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin and the Atomic Frameless. Both are midsized models. Both fit much better than my old mask. The Mares fits me perfectly, like it was made for my face, but I absolutely love the view out the Atomic.

Buy the one that fits the best.

The field of vision sucks when it's 1/2 full of water, or you've washed out the defog because it needed clearing every 30 seconds since you started the dive, so that's really not an issue.

Terry

(I would say ST's, but they won't mail Atomic),

Ron I ordered the mini shadow and the medium fit Atomic frameless from ST (scubatoys) they sent me both masks to try I chose the Atomic over the mini shadow it seemed to push up underneath my nose so I sent it back.....I haven't tried the Atomic in the water after reading this thread I am hoping is doesn't leak...it felt very good when I tried it on and past the suction test etc...

ST doesn't post the prices on it's website but did quote me a price via email....

I have the Mares Liquid skin as well. And it leaks. I was told that with time it will get better. The mask will take the shape of my face. I just bought the Mares Essence Liquid skin and it is the same problem. The scubapro spectra 2 is a better fit for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom