Mares warranty service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Should I be paying for labor on a Mares reg that I bought a month ago?

Or is this revenge for buying it off the internet?

Apparently it's something with the seat in the first stage.

Any thoughts?

Alex

abitton,

Please help me understand your post:

1) You purchased a Mares regulator from an online retailer (Shop A).
2) There was an issue with the HP seat (there's probably some IP creep, and it's probably starting too freeflow).
3) You took your regulator to a local dive shop to have it looked at (Shop B).
4) Shop B probably quoted you the standard rate to overhaul the first stage + price of parts.
5) You are having a problem understanding why Shop B will not overhaul the reg you purchased at Shop A on their dime.

Am I misunderstanding something?

I may be wrong, but it seems to me the question is, after only a month, shouldn't it be covered under the manufacturers warranty - and if it is covered on warranty, shouldn't any authorized dealer perform that warranty service without charging the customer independent of where you bought it?

Mares doesn't reimburse dive shops for labor fees. Just parts.

It would be wrong to expect a local dive shop to have to absorb the time and costs of servicing a regulator that the online retailer obviously did not properly bench test in the first place. Abitton purchased his reg online to save a few bucks (there's nothing wrong with that). And, the online retailer just shipped a regulator in stock without testing it to save a few bucks. Why should the LDS that gained absolutely nothing in this transaction get stuck picking up the bill?

The right thing to do in this case would be to contact the online retailer, and have them repair or replace the regulator. It will be an inconvenience, and it will take a little extra time, but these are the types benefits that you give up when purchasing online.

Abitton,
You ask if you should have to pay for labor on a reg that you purchased a month ago. I'm not sure...probably not. But, I hope you realize that someone has to. I think the online retailer should do the right thing and take care of you (not the LDS).

That's exactly it.

Does the warranty cover labor as well as parts?

I'm definitely not asking the guy to do the work for free. I'm assuming that Mares would compensate him for the warranty work. Other than that, I'm more than willing to pay for whatever maintenance is necessary and is not covered under the warranty.

Driznik:
I may be wrong, but it seems to me the question is, after only a month, shouldn't it be covered under the manufacturers warranty - and if it is covered on warranty, shouldn't any authorized dealer perform that warranty service without charging the customer independent of where you bought it?

I fully agree with you.

However, let me give you an example:

I buy a car at dealership X. It's under the manufacturer's warranty, and breaks down. I then go to dealership Y to get it fixed. The manufacturer foots the bill.

I will not be out of pocket...

I do know that for regular maintenance, Mares does cover parts but not labor as long as the regs are serviced annually by an authorized center.

But in the case of a warranty repair? Doesn't make sense to me.

ifukuda:
Mares doesn't reimburse dive shops for labor fees. Just parts.

It would be wrong to expect a local dive shop to have to absorb the time and costs of servicing a regulator that the online retailer obviously did not properly bench test in the first place. Abitton purchased his reg online to save a few bucks (there's nothing wrong with that). And, the online retailer just shipped a regulator in stock without testing it to save a few bucks. Why should the LDS that gained absolutely nothing in this transaction get stuck picking up the bill?

The right thing to do in this case would be to contact the online retailer, and have them repair or replace the regulator. It will be an inconvenience, and it will take a little extra time, but these are the types benefits that you give up when purchasing online.

Abitton,
You ask if you should have to pay for labor on a reg that you purchased a month ago. I'm not sure...probably not. But, I hope you realize that someone has to. I think the online retailer should do the right thing and take care of you (not the LDS).

Wow. So if there is a warranty problem with a Mares reg in the first month, Mares will only cover the parts - not labour?

I had naively expected that it would be like buying a laptop or a DVD player. Something goes wrong, ship it off to the manufacturer, they fix it and send it back.

Driznik:
Wow. So if there is a warranty problem with a Mares reg in the first month, Mares will only cover the parts - not labour?

I had naively expected that it would be like buying a laptop or a DVD player. Something goes wrong, ship it off to the manufacturer, they fix it and send it back.

You can ship it to Mares to be fixed as I have done this or you can pay for labor at a LDS. I will never ship again. Takes too long and it's a pain....

I got confirmation: the 2 -year Mares warranty only covers parts.

Labour is up to you, or at the discretion of the shop that you bought from.

Alex

You have not given much details.

If the reg was purchased new about a month ago and on one of the first few dives you discover that it is not functioning properly, you have a defective product that is not operating correctly. It may only take a simple adjustment but a new product should perform correctly like a new product. Mares warrants their products against materials and workmanship last time I checked. You can ask, request, demand, a replacement or repair at no cost to you from the dealer who sold it to you, an authorized dealer or contact and send it to the Mares service center, who should at least come through for you. Unfortunately much is made about purchasing from authorized dealers for their service/warranty advantages, but in practice you can not rely on all authorized dealers to provide such service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom