Mares Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't worry too much about the time. Especially if you aren't working with stainless steel wire and decide to use S-Hooks or something similar instead. I'd say you could do a set of fins in 30 minutes or less. Bending the wire is a little tough on the hands. Having said that, if I knew what size S-Hook to get I would have gone that route instead but the stainless steel wire is plenty strong and isn't really that difficult to rig up.

total cost for 3 pairs (needed 2 packs of springs for 2 pairs) is approx. 50.00 (32.80 for 6 springs shipped, 12.00 for s-hooks, 3-4.00 for tubing/heatshrink).

=> about 16.67 each pair.

works out good for us... 2 pairs with 2 spare springs.

the s-hook idea is not mine...there's a post in here somewhere about using them. They were easy to work with... 1 squeeze with pliers to close on the fin, one squeeze to close around spring.
Hardest part was bending two loops of the spring ... took about 50 minutes to make the first one... then about 15 minutes for each of the others.

I do see the heatshrink not lasting too long... I think I'll try the underground splice heatshrink if I have to replace any. That stuff is pretty heavy duty. Had some stuff we used when I was in the navy to splice UW cables called "Raychem"... that would be perfect.

So far I haven't seen any great ways to connect to the Jet or Rocket fins unless one makes some type of Delrin or rubber blocks, etc.

Of all the methods on:

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Scuba - DIR\spring-strap.htm

...I still have not seen a system that looks nice w/o a lot of fuss. I must say, your Mares are alot easier to make the final connection to, and still look nice and neat.

There MUST be a better way to connect to the Jets w/o having a whole shop of tools and gear ti make rubber, Nylon or Delrin blocks and stuff...

I just made a set for my SP split fins after reading through this post. The buckle is different on my jets, but they both have the same basic hole in the fin to mount the strap buckle to. The splits have a pin that I knocked out with a punch & hammer where I'll have to cut the buckles on my jets.

It took all of maybe 30 minutes to do. I found some D-rings at the local Ace hardware. Just open the D-ring with 2 sets of pliers, put the spring loop on and squeeze it shut.

It was very cheap to make. $1.40 for the D-rings, $3.98 for the springs and $0.66 for 2' of tubing.

ScubaPro DIY spring strap kit

VERY nice - thanks!

What is the rule of thumb for proper LENGTH of springs?

???

I think the McMasterCarr springs are 11" and the FifthD straps are 12"...

Does one nede to cut them to length when making these or do the 'stock' spring's fit just fine at their length from McMaster-Carr?

Mine were too tight and hurt my foot, but then I bent the loop out a little more and they were ok. I recently switched to jetfins and ordered the 12" spring straps from FifthD. I think those will fit too since the attachment point is a little longer.

Originally posted by Scuba446
Does one nede to cut them to length when making these or do the 'stock' spring's fit just fine at their length from McMaster-Carr?

I cut about 1 in. off the mcmaster spring to fit my size 9 1/2 foot with a thin boot. Could probably cut another 1/4 -1/2 in. off. I cut about 1 3/4 to fit my wifes size 7. could probably go another 1/4 -1/2 but didn't have her drysuit boots to make the final cut.

Back
Top Bottom