Mares Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Innovation. Good idea!

Currently, the ss wire and ss s-hooks are the only approved ways of making them. I would redo them properly or not dive with them at all (option #1)...

:wink:

Got a picture? Where did you find any shackles with small enough axles to go thru a typical hole of a pin, such as the Scubapro Jets? I haven't been able to find them..

I found the shackle in the chain/rope department of Canadian Tire. They were short two, so I looked around and found some more at a local farm/hardware store.

The axle doesn't go through a hole in the fin on Mares fins.
A 3/16 inch shackle is just the right size to wrap around the molded plastic posts on the side of the fins.

You have to remove the axle (threaded shaft),
Spring the shackle open (two pairs of vise grips works).
Place the U part around the post on the fin, then crimp or squeeze the 'U" closed so it's snug on the post, but will rotate smoothly.

I don't have a picture, but I'll try to get one.

Mike D

:blfish:

I can't get a photo this week so I've created a simple drawing of the fin boot section with the post on it. n The drawing shows the pieces separate (exploded view) and assembled together.

I know a picture is worth 1000 words.
I hope this explaines how it goes together.

Mike D
:blfish

Nice drawing Mike! Really good idea too, using the shackle. I bet it was a whole lot less of a PITA than the S-hooks I used.

The only thing I would add is that you might want to use Loktite to ensure that the shackle bolt doesn't come out rather than permenently squishing it.

Tom

Thanks for the compliment, but don't use loctite.

In my previous posts I described how the threads are locked.
Pinch the the threaded end in a vise after assembly , so it's now an interferance fit. This locks the threads nicely.

Loctite cures by givving off a small amount of water.
It will break down underwater.

Mike D

mddolson once bubbled...
Thanks for the compliment, but don't use loctite.

In my previous posts I described how the threads are locked.
Pinch the the threaded end in a vise after assembly , so it's now an interferance fit. This locks the threads nicely.

Loctite cures by givving off a small amount of water.
It will break down underwater.

Mike D

Really? OK, I didn't know that Loktite would break down. I was looking for a way to make it semi-permanent rather than fully.

Tom

WreckWriter

You can use your wife's /girl friend's nail polish.
You have to use acitone to get that stuff off.
(acitone is the solvent in nail polish remover)

I found I could crush the threaded loops in a small vise so they were tight , but they could still be removed in nessessary.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom