Mares Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Scuba446
Does one nede to cut them to length when making these or do the 'stock' spring's fit just fine at their length from McMaster-Carr?
I didn't have to cut anything off mine, I just bent 2 coils out and attached. I am using XL-Quattro's and my shoe size is 11.

I am going to need to cut about 1" off my springs and reform the 'loop' end.

How is this best accomplished to keep it looking like the factory loops w/o frigging it all up and making it look chessy?

Originally posted by Scuba446
I am going to need to cut about 1" off my springs and reform the 'loop' end.

How is this best accomplished to keep it looking like the factory loops w/o frigging it all up and making it look chessy?
You really don't need to "reform the loop". All you need to do is trim and then when you bend the spring make sure you bend it off with two coils at the end and there you go...you now have two "loops" at the end.

Hey, We just got our springs today from McMaster-Carr. Sweet. We accidently ordered 2 pkgs of 3ea = 6. We only need 4 between us and will sell the other 2 to anyone wo would like them.

Anyone interested e-mail me for details.

They cost like $14.50 per 3 + S&H.

Make us an offer and add like $3.00 for USPS Priority One S&H.

Off to finish our project!

I got the McMaster-Carr springs a few days ago, and put what looks like a great pair of spring straps on my Mares Plana Avantis.

Thanks for all the great ideas... I wound up using the SS S-hooks and shrink tubing, and will be trying them out tonight on a Cape Ann night dive.

The Mares have a ridge on the attachment posts that I cut away with a razor knife (see photo).

I bought stainless S-hooks from Home Depot that have the nomenclature: 177 X 2 1/8 Stainless. They were just the right size for fitting over the larger diameter post head without having to spread the S hook (see photo).

I used a bench vise to squeeze the S-hooks closed.

The Mares have a ridge on the attachment posts that I cut away with a razor knife (see photo).

But, I filed it away. With that there, the SS seemed like it could slip off.

I couldn't find any SS S hooks, so I bought 3/16" SS shackles.
These worked out great.

I used a round file to remove the side rib from the post on my Volos.
I spread the shackle open to fit over the post, then squeezed it tight with a pair of vise grips. It's snug, but rotates freely.
The screw shaft was inserted through one side of the shackle, the spring loop, and nylon cord and threaded inot the far side of the shackle. I used a thread die to incread the thread on the shaft, so the screw would extend thru the shanckl about 3/16".

Once I has happy with it, I place the extending screw into a vise and pinched (squashed) the threads so the could not come apart.

I forgot to post a follow up... these things are great! If anyone is considering making spring straps, stop thinking about it and get busy putting them together!

MSilvia once bubbled...
I got the McMaster-Carr springs a few days ago, and put what looks like a great pair of spring straps on my Mares Plana Avantis.

Thanks for all the great ideas... I wound up using the SS S-hooks and shrink tubing, and will be trying them out tonight on a Cape Ann night dive.

Back
Top Bottom