Mares Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info, I just ordered the springs from McMaster-Carr and I'm going to go pick up the rest of the stuff at the Hardware store and try and take on this little project.:D

Hey, I thought metal on metal was a no-no? ;-)

Still trying to find SS wire. Found steel wire at the HW store used to hold up insulation for $8/box of 100. Thought I had it made, then started worrying about rust. So the piece sitting in the coke bottle submerged in water isn't doing so well. But, I found this Zinc spray made by CRC which "galvanizes" the steel. That piece, in a seperate bottle, is doing really well (even has a bend in it to test for rust if the stuff flakes off).

Anyway, I'm using 30# wire-ties to keep mine on the fin. Need to find a better solution before JJ sees the setup. Worst case is I get nicked for using wire-ties.

I ended up drilling holes through the peg. Also found some 3/8" nylon tubing that fit through the spring loops (used a heat gun to heat up the loop, and it melted away the nylon at the contact point. Helps to keep the spring from sliding on the nylon). Sort of resolves the metal on metal issue.

I couldn't find SS wire anywhere I looked and didn't want to pay for a whole spool of it from McMaster Carr... I went with the galvanized stuff from Brown's Hardware in Falls Church, VA and have about 10-15 dives on it so far with no rusting or other problems.

I guess I will keep my eyes on it and see what JJ says...

Stainless S-hooks worked fine for me. A dozen dives and rock solid. The setup O-Ring made looks great but before you use non-stainless hardware I'd look at the S-hooks or some other method of attachment. Wire ties are definately out.

Tom

I found #24 cave line at the West Marine just inside the beltway on route 1 in Alexandria. I bet they have SS wire too...

West Marine
601 South Patrick Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
PHONE: (703) 549-7020

Yeah, I know wire-ties are a no-no. But worked well for me in a jam this weekend. 4 dives, no problems. Was a little worried though.

I'll have to make it out to West Marine. I've been looking all over for cave line.

I built a "jig" out of a piece of wood and four screws to help bend the steel wire. Works well, sacrificed a few of my insulation hangers to test. I guess a vise could have worked too. Ready for the real thing now. :wink:

Ken

Originally posted by WreckWriter
Stainless S-hooks worked fine for me. A dozen dives and rock solid. The setup O-Ring made looks great but before you use non-stainless hardware I'd look at the S-hooks or some other method of attachment. Wire ties are definately out.

Tom
Would you happen to have a picture of how you rigged it with S-hooks? I'm interested in this idea. I just got my SS-springs from McMaster-Carr today but haven't decided on which method use to attach them to the fins yet.

Well, I made my DIY string straps last Thursday and got a chance to try them out on a couple dives yesterday. They worked great and putting on and removing the fins is so much easier than the rubber straps/ABS buckle system. Also I think these are going to be much more durable over the long run than the rubber straps. :)

Originally posted by GP

Would you happen to have a picture of how you rigged it with S-hooks? I'm interested in this idea. I just got my SS-springs from McMaster-Carr today but haven't decided on which method use to attach them to the fins yet.

I'm sorry, I don't. Basically just put one end of the s-hook around the post on the fin, squeeze tight, put loop on end of spring through other end of s-hook, squeeze tight.

I didn't build my own spring though, I used commericial Manta brand spring straps and just removed their attachment hardware and substituted the s-hooks. The springs already had a real solid loop on each end.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom