March in Cozumel 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Eagle Rays-
I only have five more sleeps until I get to Cozumel. Please wait for me.
Thank you-
Susan

I'll do my best to let them know.

I've got at least two more for La Choza tonight. I'll check with Prop Joe and see if he and his gang want to come too. We'd mentioned it Friday but not made any firm plans. Should post mid afternoon.
So +2 and maybe 3-5 more. Standby

Last edited:
It's my understanding that the local government does not allow cabs at the airport, so...

When you exit Customs in Cozumel, you are bombarded by hoards of scammers pretending to be "transportation" representatives. Most are trying to redirect you to someone who will promise and possibly deliver private transport... directly to a condo property where you will be forced to watch a video on the wonders of owning a timeshare.

Take out as many of them as you can with your dive bag and head straight for the shuttle ticket booth (across the foyer and to your right as you exit Customs.)

With your shuttle ticket in hand, head for the door. You may actually have to take out your snorkel and swing it like a bat at this point to part the sea of parasitic scammers.

Once outside, you should be safe from the timeshare vermin only to find yourself at the mercy of a actual shuttle loading technician who will cram your expensive dive gear into the small luggage space in the back of a shuttle that is scheduled to stop at 7 other hotels in Cozumel and Cancun before arriving at your hotel.

I've actually considered walking off the airport grounds (about 300 yards) with my gear to catch a cab across the street but I'm afraid someone would actually tackle me for trying to avoid the official government sanctioned shuttle.

If you know a better way, please post your secret!

Doc, I ALWAYS walk off property and catch a cab. Never had a problem. I refuse to give in.

t- 5 days and here I am laying on my arse sick! have a few more days to kick this bug so i can dive!!!!!! at least i got it before my dive trip and not in the middle of it.

It's my understanding that the local government does not allow cabs at the airport, so...

When you exit Customs in Cozumel, you are bombarded by hoards of scammers pretending to be "transportation" representatives. Most are trying to redirect you to someone who will promise and possibly deliver private transport... directly to a condo property where you will be forced to watch a video on the wonders of owning a timeshare.

Take out as many of them as you can with your dive bag and head straight for the shuttle ticket booth (across the foyer and to your right as you exit Customs.)

With your shuttle ticket in hand, head for the door. You may actually have to take out your snorkel and swing it like a bat at this point to part the sea of parasitic scammers.

Once outside, you should be safe from the timeshare vermin only to find yourself at the mercy of a actual shuttle loading technician who will cram your expensive dive gear into the small luggage space in the back of a shuttle that is scheduled to stop at 7 other hotels in Cozumel and Cancun before arriving at your hotel.

I've actually considered walking off the airport grounds (about 300 yards) with my gear to catch a cab across the street but I'm afraid someone would actually tackle me for trying to avoid the official government sanctioned shuttle.

If you know a better way, please post your secret!
Too funny! (But true!!!) It's always a bit sad to watch first-timers come through the doors and get mobbed. I know on one hand these people need to make a living, but on the other, they probably lose more opportunities being so aggressive. They even try to side-track you if you already have a rental car reservation. Ours was pre-paid and they tried to give us money to switch to their 'deal.'

As for the shuttles, in a weird way we've always enjoyed the ride in the overstuffed van meeting a few people on the way to the hotel. It's kind of the initial right of passage to start your vacation ....:glad:

I'm with you, Kat. Always last stop on the ride and get everyone's story and plans. If I want to bag-drag, I can fly into CUN.

We had a ScubaBoard boat today. Only one guy wasn't on here. Too funny.

Had my first lionfish today at surface interval. Aristeo took two out of Devil's Throat and another outside of it. Back on the boat I told him he needed to cook one for me. He said he'd check to see if they'd cook it at Mr. Sancho's.
Sure enough they did. I don't think the guys were going to eat it at first, but I jumped right on mine! It was grouper-like. Very tasty.
Can't let the girl show them up, so almost everyone - staff and divers - had some and agreed it was more than edible.

He got another at San Francisco - trimmed the fins and popped it into a catch bag. Looked to me as though that fish was going to be dinner.
I'd love to help these guys start eating them so they'll become a regular on the local table!!

Norte is in. Port closed while we were submerged.
Looks like East side diving tomorrow!!
WooHOO!!!

We had a ScubaBoard boat today. Only one guy wasn't on here. Too funny.

Had my first lionfish today at surface interval. Aristeo took two out of Devil's Throat and another outside of it. Back on the boat I told him he needed to cook one for me. He said he'd check to see if they'd cook it at Mr. Sancho's.
Sure enough they did. I don't think the guys were going to eat it at first, but I jumped right on mine! It was grouper-like. Very tasty.
Can't let the girl show them up, so almost everyone - staff and divers - had some and agreed it was more than edible.

Norte is in. Port closed while we were submerged.
Looks like East side diving tomorrow!!
WooHOO!!!

It is great getting to know you, I enjoyed our diving today, and so enjoyed our Lion Fish snack. Here we come East Side! Oh, and now I am not just a lurker.

Cheers,
-Tim

I got in on the lionfish today. Just a bite, good with lemon! Delicious! Who knew? I'll go to La Choza around 6 45 tonight, to set up a table. The Norte is KICKING it up. Pretty impressive. Going to the East Side tomorrow. Way cool.

Back
Top Bottom