Man murdered during robbery attempt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanisleboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just read the following newspaper report. As I am in the process of booking a dive trip for my family to Roatan, I would appreciate more information on the matter. Is this an isolated incident, or is crime on the rise on the Island?

Canadian who moved to Honduras to help kids with AIDS shot in robbery attempt

(CP) – 2 hours ago

SASKATOON — A Saskatchewan man who travelled to Honduras to help with a charity that fights AIDS in children has been fatally shot by two masked gunmen.

A statement on the website of The Jayne Morgan Project says Dallas Martens was trying to protect his wife, Krissy, from a robbery attempt when he was shot.

The website says the couple moved to Roatan, an island off the coast of Honduras, in order to adopt a baby they met while volunteering with the organization.

An April update on the website by Krissy Martens told of a trip the couple took to work with the charity over Christmas.

She described bringing presents from family and friends in Saskatchewan and how Dallas dressed up as Santa to hand them out to children.

She also said the couple planned to live in the area for a year starting in July so they could adopt the baby, named Will.

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Really would need more information before remarking about this specific incident.. :no: We really don't know where he was, and what actually happened.

Regardless ... there are good parts of any town, and bad parts of any town, especially when you are looking at third world countries where many residents live in true poverty. When you go on vacation to such countries it is important to be realistic.

I wouldn't think 1 incident would be any more indicative of an increase in crime in Roatan than any place else in the world. While I wouldn't say you are absolutely safe in Roatan, I wouldn't say you are absolutely safe in __________(insert location) either. If safety is your concern, to maximize it maybe you should book a AI resort. Some of them are gated and will add to the feeling of safety for you and your family.

:popcorn:

Looks like a crime of opportunity--interrupted a robbery in progress. According to the news report:

"The couple had stopped their car and gotten out to view a house they were considering buying when two hooded gunmen ran out from the side of the home and grabbed Krissy, said Makowecki. "

Wrong place, wrong time.

I dress up as Santa on Roatan quite often, nobody has taken a shot at me.

People get killed all the time, even in Saskatoon or Vancouver Island. This was "fun" and exciting, it involved a local Canadian, so it made the news. How many Canadians get croaked in Seattle every day~ but you never hear about that, do you? To your question? Crime pretty much everywhere is on the rise.

Crime is the same everywhere. Random crime is not the norm. People that have an association with a bad guy, no matter how slight- then you have the magic ingredient. "Friends" kill Friends.

Go to Roatan, involve yourself in local politics, local issues, live in a "locals" or remote area, get to know people... all sorts of people.

Or... Go to Roatan, stay within the tourist population, have a nice vacation. Go home with a woven cloth hammock.

As dmoore19 said, AI resorts offer you the most isolation. Of the major players, there are some substantially more secure resorts and many that are less so.

Property crime? At one AI, you can leave cameras, dive computers and watches lying about all week, at some others- they have had regular thefts from the rooms.

Crime perpetrated upon visitors who arrive for a week of fun in the sun is virtually unknown on Roatan.

We really don't know where he was, and what actually happened.
West Bay area

I wouldn't think 1 incident would be any more indicative of an increase in crime in Roatan than any place else in the world.
at least the fourth North American this year

Welcome to SCUBABoard. Nice first post.

:anonymous2:

It is so easy to post statistics that can sound frightening.

According to the Honduran newspaper "Tiempo", the attack occurred in an area called "Cayo Fito" at 10:30 pm after the couple had dinner in the West End.

The paper quoted a friend of the couple:

"La isla entera está conmocionada. Muchas personas consideran este un lugar peligroso para vivir, pero la realidad es que la mayor parte de asesinatos aquí implican a traficantes de droga o discusiones personales. Ellos estaban simplemente en el lugar incorrecto en el momento inoportuno. Dallas era uno de los hombres más dulces, más amables que yo conocía", añadió Karina Elrod.

Loosely translated:

"The island is shocked. Many people consider this a dangerous place to live put the reality is that the major part of murders here can be blamed on drug trafficking or personal "discussions" (beefs). There were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Dallas was one of sweetest, friendliest men that I knew"

Roatan is a very poor island. There are places that are true ghettos and other places that just have poor people trying to get ahead. This is no different than any other place on earth. There are good people and there are bad people. The vast majority of people are terrific, friendly and helpful. I know there have been problems on Roatan but there are problems in every nook and cranny of the world including the US and Canada.

I would keep an eye and ear open regarding current political problems but I would not worry about individual personal attacks at all. I've walked the streets in many areas of Roatan that most people never visit and I've never felt afraid. Things happen everywhere and we can't stop living because some whacho does something to a tourist once in a blue moon. This is a rare event and should not be cause for alarm at this time. If anyone is really worried about this type of thing, stick to your resort and enjoy your visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom