Anthony's Key Resort August 2015 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice report...very detailed with very useful information. I stayed at AKR after doing my DM training on Utila for a month. This report was spot on...

Just to add a few things on AKR.

Shore dives - what Ralph said. The attendant will give you guidance. Straight out about 100 yards or less there will be a big rope in waist deep water, you'll follow that out through cuts in the reef to the sand in 60 feet depth. Same way back in. Mark that point or remember it well. If you miss it the reef is very shallow and jagged and you'll have a hard time climbing over it to get back to shore. However, this was one of the dive sites I found least interesting.

Taxi - if you walk a short ways to the main road a taxi will take you to West End or Coxen Hole for $5 total, not each person. Unless it's dark. Then the price doubles. But ask the driver first and be prepared to bargain. Otherwise you might as well book from the front desk and know your rate.

Nitrox - I think it was $8 per tank and the weekly rate was simply $8 x max number of dives. No real discount. I guess the benefit is it covers shore dive tanks too. We only used it on the deeper dives and wrecks. MOD for 32% at 1.4 is 111'.

. . .
Shore diving is on the south side of the key and you have to drag your gear over there. They have a cart that is helpful. Air tanks and weights are already at the tiny shack as well as an attendant. If you bought the week long Nitrox option you can have it delivered over there ahead of your diving; it is included. Shore diving was open from 3:00 pm until ? A couple of people from our group did a night shore dive. We did not use the shore dive option as 19 dives in 6 days was enough. . . .

I just noticed this part about shore diving, and especially a night shore dive. My wife and I were informed that shore diving is not allowed after sunset. And the shack doesn't open until 3:00 pm, as you said. When we were there (mid-late November), by the time our boat returned to the dock each day there were only a couple of hours of daylight left. So as far as we could see, the only way to do any shore diving would be to either skip the afternoon boat dive or rush over to the shore diving shack with all our gear from the boat as soon as it docked. We really wished they had allowed shore diving before breakfast or later in the evening. If one does no shore diving, then three dives a day plus a night dive twice a week is all you get. It's this kind of scheduling that made us resolve to give CocoView a try next time.

Just returned from 2 weeks at AKR and echo the observations in this very excellent report. We dove with Marvin and Sherwin and both were excellent. We stayed in a key deluxe,very nice.Unfortunately, I caught a bug and couldn't dive for 4 days. Wonderful medical facility on site. The doc prescribed cipro, Imodium and a nausea med and I was good to go.

UNFORTUNATELY, we will never go back to the Bay Islands because of the BUGS. This wS our fourth trip (coco view,fantasy island and Laguna beach) and we vowed not to go back, but the AKR 2 for one was too inviting. We brought deet products,cactus juice and were still eaten up. I think hanging wetsuits on the deck may have been the culprit Everything about AKR is great except the bugs

Last edited:
Just returned from 2 weeks at AKR and echo the observations in this very excellent report. We dove with Marvin and Sherwin and both were excellent. We stayed in a key deluxe,very nice.Unfortunately, I caught a bug and couldn't dive for 4 days. Wonderful medical facility on site. The doc prescribed cipro, Imodium and a nausea med and I was good to go.

UNFORTUNATELY, we will never go back to the Bay Islands because of the BUGS. This wS our fourth trip (coco view,fantasy island and Laguna beach) and we vowed not to go back, but the AKR 2 for one was too inviting. We brought deet products,cactus juice and were still eaten up. I think hanging wetsuits on the deck may have been the culprit Everything about AKR is great except the bugs

the bugs.... we were warned at CCV that they love salt water. We were told to shower immediately after getting out of water, dry off, and spray on the cactus juice. Wash out the wetsuits immediately also, as the sand fleas jump on them. My hubby and I only got a few bites (in 2 trips) by following this religiously. A few others at the resort did not follow the rule and got eaten up, some people more than others. Mosquitos... we used deet spray on our legs after our last dive of day or at dusk, when they are out. Never got a bite.
It is a tropical jungle, so you have to take the bad with the good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom