Islamorada Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We decided to pack up the family and spend a couple of days in Islamorada diving and roaming around on the water. We were planning on boating on Saturday and kayaking on Sunday. I got in touch with long time friend Brad Lange of Islamorada Watersports and Sevensports about renting a boat. We hit the Eagle, Alligator Reef Lighthouse, Conch Reef, Hen and Chickens Reef, Indian Key, shooting a lot of images along the way.

6%20Pelican_IMG_6791.jpg

Whale Harbor home of the Islamorada Watersports Company in Islamorada, FL.

Brad set us up with a great 21 ft. Carolina skiff (above) rated for up to 16 passengers. I figured with three of us including an active 2 year old baby girl (BG) and my eight month pregnant wife we should be well set up. Brad has a nice selection of open fishermen, pontoon boats, a ton of wave runners as well in rental from several locations on the island. You can find out more on his website but he offers water fun out the wazoo via:

Boat Rentals and Charters
Private Fishing Charters on the Genesis
Snorkling, Waverunners Rentals / Tours
Kiteboarding Lessons and Camps
Wakeboarding Lessons and Camps
StandUp Paddleboarding Rentals / Tours
Kayak Rentals and Tours

8%20guys%20IMG_4795_pe.jpg

Brad Lange and crew by our able vessel

Whale Harbor the location of Islamorada Watersports Company and kite beach in Islamorada at Mile Marker 84 just over the bridge.

10%20dock%20VR%20.jpg

More rental vessels by the fuel dock. Brad can have boats delivered to local docks upon request. He has operations throughout the island.

20%20%20eagle%20marineventure.ca.jpg

For the first stop of the day I decided to go free diving on the Eagle, an artificial reef sunk in 110 ft. of water to the south.

725_314.jpg

It was easy to get around and find far flung spots from long and lat coordinates using my iPhone and a great ap, Navionics. It allows easy navigation and consumes little power too. It is a good idea to keep a weather eye out for shallows and carry a paper chart too. So many vessels have struck in these waters after all, from small craft to large ships going back centuries.

21%20%20GOPR4243%20ri.jpg

I was scooter free diving on the wreck. Unfortunately visibility was pretty low at around 30 to 40 ft.. It is a lot easier to drop on these things when you can see them from the surface. Helps the quality of the photography too, still you take what you can get. The SCUBA diving is great on all these sites as well, no need to free dive them if you are so inclined. Don't attempt scooter free diving without proper free diving training, skill development and procedures.

22%20hull%20GOPR3415.jpg

Passing through the break in the hull caused by a hurricane as shown in the figure above. There was a nice sized goliath grouper hanging around in the gap. The vessel although sunk as an artificial reef, ended up on its side.

24%20737565%20raila%20dan%20www.shipspotting.com.jpg

The Eagle was originally known as the "Raila Dan" and several other names over the years. She is shown here years back in slightly cooler waters than the Keys.

28%20hold%20GOPR4241-1.jpg

Having a look inside one of the holds forward of the forward of the forecastle.

30%20GOPR3413.jpeg

Moving further in, I see what looks like a blast hole through the hull large enough for me to fit through. So I head for it through a school of fish.

(snip)

Now we run south to anchor off the Alligator Reef Lighthouse. The lighthouse has marked shallows for the Florida Reef Tract four miles offshore to shipping since 1873. The light is 136 ft. high in sand covered rocky shallows.

185561_10150235759583199_6476949_n.jpg

A shot from the kite at last year's Pryde Group Americas dealer meeting in Islamorada. More from that excellent event at: First look at Cabrinha 2012 Gear - Islamorada, FL - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

It contains an accommodation section for the lighthouse crew prior to 1963 when the light was automated. Who is up for weathering a Cat 5 hurricane in white iron sardine box of this baby?

40%20Lighthouse%20water_pe.jpg

Anchoring up near the lighthouse, momma and baby go into to cool off.

Continued at:

Islamorada Adventure! - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Cool pictures: nice background photo on the Eagle too. That is one of my favorite dive sites: I've been lucky enough that each time I've dove it, there has been minimal current.

Now is that you guys free diving inside the wreck??? I'm not big on going inside a wreck on scuba, I can't imagine doing it while free diving!!!!

Last edited:
Thnx for sharing. Are sure it is rated for 16 passengers and not six?. Freediving the Eagle wow!!!

It was my first time on the Eagle. I usually hit more northerly wrecks, the Spiegel, Duane, Washington, etc.. There wasn't much current but viz. was pretty low unfortunately. It was good to finally hit it.

That hold is wide open fortunately and you can see easy exit with the exterior light. If not, I usually don't go in free diving. Like everything else we do there are risks, it pays to learn about them, train adequately and use good procedures to try to better manage them.

Cool pictures: nice background photo on the Eagle too. That is one of my favorite dive sites: I've been lucky enough that each time I've dove it, there has been minimal current.

Now is that you guys free diving inside the wreck??? I'm not big on going inside a wreck on scuba, I can't imagine doing it while free diving!!!!

---------- Post Merged at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:34 PM ----------

You are welcome and thanks for your input. I'm not a fan of overloading boats but apparently this one has quite a payload capacity. The 20 ft. model is rated for 16 passengers, I would guess not divers however! http://gulfmarineinc.com/carolina-skiff-boats.htm

Thnx for sharing. Are sure it is rated for 16 passengers and not six?. Freediving the Eagle wow!!!

Sure made *my* palms sweaty. :D

Kevin

Great pics. Love the first one of the Pelican with the kite in the background

Awesome pics. I was actually there that day, I think. We rented the Angler in the "More rental vessels by the fuel dock." pictures. Do you have that picture available somewhere? I'd love to show it to my friends. We are putting together a slideshow of that trip.

Thanks!

420161_10151025153088199_2047112448_n.jpg

We're flying at almost 3000 ft. over the Florida Reef Tract, four miles offshore and approaching Alligator Lighthouse.

Here's another idea for your next trip to South Florida or the Keys, take a tandem flight with Paradise Hang Gliding. Like Sevensports, it is located in Whale Harbor right by Kite Beach in Islamorada, FL.

539261_10151021971798199_677444843_n.jpg

Boat tow hang gliding, you are pulled up to 1500 to 2500 ft., drop the tow line, you get fly around on your first flight with the instructor and then land on the water. The glider is reloaded and ready to fly again in minutes. Almost anyone can do this and the scenery is insane. If it is too choppy on the Florida Straits side, no worries, just go to Florida Bay and vice versa. I was able to fly both areas and snorkel the lighthouse with them recently.

1%20cotton%20key%20GOPR0899_pe.jpg

Flying towards Whale Harbor over Cotton Key in Florida Bay.

284841_10151017180988199_1250223399_n.jpg

I used to do boat tow hang gliding almost 20 years ago in Miami, it's a blast. They have a special Groupon promotion going for a couple of days that is worth jumping on if you're interested. I did!

a3%20pair.jpg

They even do a package with snorkeling at the lighthouse or on reefs too. You can see some underwater shots in the post above this one.

293256_10150991222253199_2075577364_n.jpg

More photos and details at the website for Paradise Hang Gliding and

HERE

Last edited:
Where do vote for the post of the year? When ever anyone asks where is the top diving destination in Florida, look no further than your post.

The keys are a one-of-a-kind tropical paradise. Outstanding!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom