Man fired from diving job after seen holding protected species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This photo infuriates me! I am glad the marine park implemented action against this diver. I wonder who the dive op was that allowed such atrocious behavior, not by one but two( the other diver petting a splendid toadfish) divers.

Last edited:
This photo infuriates me! I am glad the marine park implemented action against this diver. I wonder who the dive op was that allowed such atrocious behavior, not by one but two( the other dive petting a splendid toadfish) divers.

The person "petting" the toadfish is most likely a tourist staying at an AI - she has a bracelet on her wrist.

So this diver was from Playa del Carmen...but this happened in Cozumel? Are dive guides crossing the pond to lead dives now?

The person "petting" the toadfish is most likely a tourist staying at an AI - she has a bracelet on her wrist.
Actually I think the bracelet is the one issued by the marine park.

We (ANOAAT Cozumel) actually investigated and contacted the diver as well as reported to the marine park. The marine park ultimately made the contact to the shop he was working for in Playa. Not only did he not have a Marine Park credential to be leading dives in the park, he was working illegally. He is French and actually justified his behavior - and this is a quote directly from the offender in a facebook message with one of our ANOAAT members:

Q: Hi Marqui. There is a photo circulating of you holding a Splendid Toadfish on Paradise reef in Cozumel. Touching or holding marine life is strictly prohibited.

A: " I understand and respect your concern, I’m into animal welfare myself and I admit that in the photo it looks like I’m holding the fish, which I’m not, it just swims through and around and eventually it’ll go back to its hole. It actually enjoys being tickled so it’s said and so jt seems, like a dog or a cat..., certain species here are so accustomed to seeing people that they often approach us and kind of hang around and interact for some time. Like the angel fishes eating our bubbles, and turtles coming up sometimes. I seriously will never tease, feed, eat or hunt any, no way."

Q: Do you have a marine park credential? Do you know that it is prohibited in the marine park to touch or handle the marine life even if you think they like it?

A: No, I don’t have a park credential because I don’t work there, nor am I leading any dives at all and yes, I know you need one to work there. And yes, I know that’s it’s prohibited even though they come at you..."

But he WAS working for a shop in Playa who crossed for the day to dive - and he WAS fired - his answers weren't truthful and he still justifies his behavior!

@Dogbowl - yes, they are and it's becoming a problem. One we will be addressing as ANOAAT

You seem surprised that a dishonest person who was caught with their hand in the cookie jar with their hand wrapped around a cookie would say "I wasn't reaching for a cookie!".

People commit crimes and lie to try to get out of trouble all the time. If they didn't we wouldn't need courts, and witness testimony, and evidence and judges and jurys.

Life would be so much simpler.
I'm not surprised AT ALL - I knew he was was working illegally based on his Facebook profile even before we confirmed who his employer was. I was simply pointing out that although he said he wasn't working, that was a blatant lie - he was attempting to cover his hiney - but we were several steps ahead of him.

I'm not surprised AT ALL - I knew he was was working illegally based on his Facebook profile even before we confirmed who his employer was. I was simply pointing out that although he said he wasn't working, that was a blatant lie - he was covering his hiney.

I’d like to know what shop this was so I don’t have to inadvertently give them my business. And the DM...

That would be the first Splendid in 15 years of diving Coz I've ever seen that willingly swims out of its hole into a diver's hand and sits their wanting to be petted. Looks to me like he's squeezing it like a tube of toothpaste so some touron can pet it. Maybe that practice scored him better tips?

The above being said, I've been diving with a DM who "coaxed" one out of its hole by reaching in behind it, ushering it out and then covering the hole so it couldn't get back in. That was about 15 years ago though on one of our first trips to Coz... Haven't seen that done since.

Furthermore, who wants to dive with some French DM in Mexico in the first place? I want LOCAL, knowledgeable DM's leading my dives.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom