Man fired from diving job after seen holding protected species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would he still have been fired if it had been a lionfish?

Doubt it but I'd love to see video of this idiot trying to grab a lionfish with his bare hands for more photo ops and tips from his dive party. That would be some stellar video! How about he try picking a bouquet of fire coral for the lady divers in the party while he's at it?

There is something important in this thread. People saw something wrong, and they said something. As a result, something good happened.

Many years ago, when diving in Cozumel, we were preparing for a dive. Two of the divers in our boat first put on their gloves. I looked at them and at the DM, who looked at them and did not say anything. Then they clipped their collection bags onto their hips. I looked at the DM, who was looking at them. I finally said, "I guess you guys don't know that you aren't allowed to collect anything in the marine park." "You aren't?" one of them responded. "And you aren't supposed to wear gloves, either," I said. They looked at the DM, who said very quietly, "He's right." "Sorry," they said, and they took it all off. No problem.

The next year, I was diving in Grand Cayman, and two divers were pulling on their gloves. The DM looked at them and said, "$500 fine for wearing gloves in Grand Cayman." "They obviously thought she was kidding, laughed, and continued to pull on the gloves. Her voice grew stern. "$500 fine! Take them off!" The gloves were off in seconds.

In the first case, the DM was clearly not going to say a word until I did, but the divers were absolutely ready to comply with the rules once they knew them. In the second case, the DM spoke firmly from the start, and the divers quickly complied.

It just takes a willingness to speak up.

That gets dicey. Innocent until proven guilty. Publishing names of dive shops and instructors who have not been convicted is the sort of thing that can be considered libel and can put the poster and forum administrator in legal hot water.
Are you an attorney?

There is something important in this thread. People saw something wrong, and they said something. As a result, something good happened.

Many years ago, when diving in Cozumel, we were preparing for a dive. Two of the divers in our boat first put on their gloves. I looked at them and at the DM, who looked at them and did not say anything. Then they clipped their collection bags onto their hips. I looked at the DM, who was looking at them. I finally said, "I guess you guys don't know that you aren't allowed to collect anything in the marine park." "You aren't?" one of them responded. "And you aren't supposed to wear gloves, either," I said. They looked at the DM, who said very quietly, "He's right." "Sorry," they said, and they took it all off. No problem.

The next year, I was diving in Grand Cayman, and two divers were pulling on their gloves. The DM looked at them and said, "$500 fine for wearing gloves in Grand Cayman." "They obviously thought she was kidding, laughed, and continued to pull on the gloves. Her voice grew stern. "$500 fine! Take them off!" The gloves were off in seconds.

In the first case, the DM was clearly not going to say a word until I did, but the divers were absolutely ready to comply with the rules once they knew them. In the second case, the DM spoke firmly from the start, and the divers quickly complied.

Nice examples for all. As divers, we are responsible for assisting in the education of newer divers who may not know better but are willing to comply with regulations.

I feel that it is SO important for the dive community to get together and support ANOAAT Cozumel. They are already beginning to make a difference, but can't do it without Cozumel divers doing their part to educate, observe and report issues such as this one with the splendid toadfish. When enforcement is executed, we will begin to see that the incidents will decrease and finally stop.

Can someone tell me what ANOAAT stands for?

Asociación de Operadores Actividades Aquaticas de Turismo
*(An) in Spanish refers to assoc hence the “N” in the acronym

In English it would be Association of Aquatic Sports tour operators

Would he still have been fired if it had been a lionfish?
Speaking of lionfish, I have observed DM's and other divers shooting lionfish. Is it legal in the park?

Cheers -

I've seen that from time to time - seems DM wants to say something but is reluctant to confront people. I figure once someone else speaks up, they're now in a situation where they're maybe pissing off a customer if they say something, but also if they don't, so at that point it becomes an easier choice. Or maybe it's just strength in numbers, always nice to be backed up.

Back
Top Bottom