Maltese court convicts dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miyaru

Technical instructor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
A Maltese court has convicted a dive buddy for the death of a diver...... makes you wonder if solo diving is legally the safest way to go....

Diving buddy found guilty of AFM soldier's death in 2020 Gozo tragedy

And an opinion article about the case:
A dangerous precedent for divers

Court verdict​

By putting more stock in the buddy system than in self-reliance, the court has not only declared a man guilty of involuntarily causing his friend’s death. It has also created a dangerous precedent whereby any diver can be found liable for the death or injury of their buddy if they fail to act in such a manner that to the court’s satisfaction is in line with the duties of a buddy.

This may very well pull the breaks on diving in Malta, a very popular dive and training destination in EU, in a very serious negative way. This is terrible.

That is very disturbing. I cannot imagine ever going to Malta to dive.

Wow. I don't what more her dive buddy could have done. She had numerous opportunities to end the dive but chose to go on. I guess you have to 100% guarantee your partner's safety to dive in Malta.

I'm no lawyer but it sounds like Maltese law is a bit different than the US or Canada....at least I hope it is.

The bar for criminal negligence is much lower in Europe. Remember the Concorde crash? The metal strip that punctured the tire came from a Continental DC-10, a French court convicted the American mechanic of involuntary manslaughter over it giving him a suspended 2 year sentence and a fine. A higher court overturned it, but the fact that it even went forward shows the differences in the legal standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom