Maltese court convicts dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerning the drysuit bit, does this mean that there is an implication that a dive buddy must check/verify and insist that their buddy is drysuit certified before they dive with them with a drysuit? Where does this end?

Concerning the drysuit bit, does this mean that there is an implication that a dive buddy must check/verify and insist that their buddy is drysuit certified before they dive with them with a drysuit? Where does this end?
And that regs are serviced, tank/s in hydro, medical valid.......

Exactly!

.... yes, it's not MY responsibility to ensure I have proper certifications, skills, am in a proper medical state, have proper equipment, follow safety protocols, rescue myself, etc. NONE of that is MY responsibility. Oh, but it is my responsibility to ensure all of the above for my dive-buddy.

It’s worth reading the Maltese diving regulations.
And diving's supposed to be a fun thing.

The utterly disgraceful way that the Maltese Government behaved over the Steve Martin affair, compounded with BSAC's desertion of a long-term member leaves one completely lost for words.

Malta served an international arrest warrant to Steve in the UK, accusing him of attempted murder -- an utter fiction on their part as they appeared to make the law up as they went along. Steve was ankle tagged like a criminal, reporting to the police 3 times a week and was under curfew. This was to be challenged in the High Court but Malta dropped this the day before his extradition hearing.

Now we hear of this rather perverse case with made-up requirements...

And diving's supposed to be a fun thing.

The utterly disgraceful way that the Maltese Government behaved over the Steve Martin affair, compounded with BSAC's desertion of a long-term member leaves one completely lost for words.

Malta served an international arrest warrant to Steve in the UK, accusing him of attempted murder -- an utter fiction on their part as they appeared to make the law up as they went along. Steve was ankle tagged like a criminal, reporting to the police 3 times a week and was under curfew. This was to be challenged in the High Court but Malta dropped this the day before his extradition hearing.

Now we hear of this rather perverse case with made-up requirements...
At first I thought that was Steve Martian of Sidemounting.com, but this is another guy with the same name.

I have to imagine he's never going back to Malta again, even if he wasn't at legal risk. That also makes the UK legal system look absolutely terrible, and deservedly so. I'll bite my tongue on a few other cases where the UK legal system looks terrible in order to remain on topic.

Here's another article, where the author summarizes and translates the judgement to English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom