Luggage Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, a $20 tip to the skycap can go a long way. My friend is in the process of moving to Florida and is moving his stuff one business trip at a time. On the last trip he wanted to get his set of double 130's, bands, and manifold down there via luggage. The limit was two bags at 50 lbs per bag and his weighed in at 64 lbs and 92 lbs but went right on when he tipped the skycap $20.

ymmv, good luck.

Did you check with the postal service for shipping rates?

Time to evaluate what you truly "need" and what you can live without. The type of diving is going to dictate a lot of what you can do without. Personally when I need to ditch weight I take a lot of stuff out of my first aid and save-a-dive kits. Instead of SMB and spools I just carry a small cheapo safety sausage, a whistle and a signal mirror.

How many pairs of shoes are you guys taking? The maximum you need is a pair of closed shoes and a pair of lightweight sandals. Wear the closed shoes and put the sandals in the bag--no taking shoes for every outfit!
Put toiletries in small containers, there is no reason to take the whole big heavy bottle just take what you need. There are products out there that are designed for kids and can be used as both shampoo and body wash--one bottle for everything! Skip the electric razor (heavy) and get a good razor with a blade (lots of nice ones out there) if you don't want to use a disposable.

There are a lot of things you can skip packing especially on a dive trip. You don't need a bunch of clothes, odds are you'll only wear half of what you originally intend to take--if that much. Leave that extra stuff at home to begin with and use the extra room for dive gear. My clothes for a Caribbean destination literally fit in 2 one-gallon zip lock bags.
Ber :lilbunny:

I would be totally lost. And shipping by postal service or any other means would be more expensive than just paying the extra fees, probably. 44# total per person including carry-on?! How absurd! I could do 144# maybe.

How close are you to the airport? I'd drive out there for a face-to-face chit-chat with the station manager.

What's next, weighing passengers...? :D

It may seem absurd, but fact is it's a charter flight and you can't necessarily expect them to have the same rules about luggage as regular airlines. Some charters also have less space between rows, it's all part of the tradeoff for usually lower prices - even lower in this case, since it sounds like it was a special deal on the charter itself because of the main booking taking extra space with golf gear. Caveat Emptor.

Well I'll Caveat the travel agents Emptor if she dosen't find a solution PDQ.

Hopefully this isn't entirely a case of "if it's too good to be true........."

Thanks,
Pete

DandyDon:
What's next, weighing passengers...? :D
Sometimes small (8 seat Cessna's for example) charter planes do. Those charters can get interesting, you have to balance the plane just right. I almost had to ride in the baggage compartment going from Grand Turk to Provo :06: Luckily the pilot decided to let me sit in the co-pilots seat as long as I agreed not to touch any controls and I had to hold his paperwork.
Ber :lilbunny:

Wait! did you say it was a primarly golf trip for the other flight patrons? Well why not bring your own golf bag :idea3: loaded with your dive gear. LOL

I would also say, it is only fair to restrict all the passengers to the same limits.

Peter_C:
Wait! did you say it was a primarly golf trip for the other flight patrons? Well why not bring your own golf bag :idea3: loaded with your dive gear. LOL

I would also say, it is only fair to restrict all the passengers to the same limits.

Good idea except we got the "preferred" rate.

The latest is we get to check one bag, 30 LB max, and can have a standard carryon item, the weight limit of which they can't seem to say just yet,

We are having words.

My non-diving siblings are also besides themselves, just for wardrobe. They don't understand why we don't just rent everything for diving!

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom