• DUI

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Seaskin

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Something else ...

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of places use fusion as rental suits and get sold at decent prices without a lot of wear. Been thinking about that, as sizing is easier than a regular suit.

On the layering guide of Fourth Element they never use more than 3 layers, but then again they only use their own stuff that looks really flexible. Maybe thinsulate wouldn't be so flexible?

When I was asking everybody about their drysuits yesterday one guy was diving a 200gr thinsulate from Santi and he wasn't cold in 10C water, he says that he uses it in temperatures down to 7C. Any colder and he puts on 400gr thinsulate. After hearing that I was kinda sure that 250gr + artics would be enough for me. But now I'm doubting about the flexibility :D (Will it ever stop) I think that if the the artics are flixible then there wouldn't be much difference when wearing it with the thinsulate, it would just be a thicker thus a bit less flexible?

In Decathlon (a sports store over here) they sell merino wool clothing in various thickness’s at attractive prices. A 190gr shirt with long sleeves is 29.95 € and 250gr is 44.95 €, they only have leggings in 100gr for 29.95 €. Could this be better than the Tech underwear from Seaskin?

The Fourth Element undergarments are close-fitting but flexible - maneuverability is, I guess, a function of the number of undergarments as well as how roomy the suit is (the same number of undergarments in a tighter-fitting suit will feel tighter). In an ideal world you try a new drysuit on while wearing the heaviest undergarment combination you'll be using in the coldest of dives you envisage doing.

Merino base layers are the best there is in terms of warmth/wicking/odour - in my opinion, 100gr. Is too thin for cold water diving.

For all it's worth, out of all the divers you encounter in the inland dive sites (quarries) in the UK (where water temperatures range from 18C in September to 4C in Feb), more than 50% are wearing Fourth Element Arctics/Halo3Ds with/without a merino base layer.

Are they diving with just the artics in 4C water or do they switch to the Halo 3D when the water is to cold? From what I have read (and having 0 experience [emoji6]) I understood that the Arctics are not made for that.

I guess that would depend on the amount of bioprene they are carrying :)

In Jan/Feb Halos are prevalent but Arctics are also used, especially under thick neoprene drysuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have some bioprene, but not so much that it would equal to a neoprene drysuit ;-)

In some discussion about undersuits people forget to mention if they have neoprene or shell drysuit. So sometimes it seems like 200gr is enough for anything :p

Someone pointed my to the drysuits from Artic (website is in Spanish, here is the Google Translate version in English). I have never heard of this brand before and it's difficult to find anything about them on the internet. When I tried searching in Spanish I got some hits, but most of the information when lost in (Google) translation.

The suits they sell are MTM, look beter than the suits from Seaskin and they over a larger choice of colors. The suits have Cordura reinforcements (Seaskin has reinforcements in Polyurethane). They also have the option to get Si Tech Antares wirst rings installed + Si Tech Neck Tite (I would have liked the more flexible Quick Neck system). They come with a metal zipper and zipper plastic protector zip. Seaskin started offering the option for a plastic dry zip from YKK today (I think I would still prefer metal) When I pick the options I want they are in almost exactly the same price range as a similar Seaskin.

The suits are sold by a shop in the Netherlands that is about a 2 hour drive from where I life. They sells 3 versions: Artic 320 BS, 450 BS and 450 EX. These suits look similar, but the main differences are that the 320 BS uses Protex Trilaminate and the 450's use Ferguson 450 Trilaminate (don't know the difference, but I guess the Ferguson 450 Trilaminate is better :)), the 320 BS and the 450 BS have the same amount of Condura reinforcements and the 450 EX has the most.

27050.jpg

Has anybody ever seen one of these suits in real life. Does anybody here have one? If they are any good I might consider one, but because I can not find any references of them I would still go for Seaskin at this time.

Hi Dimitri,

This is Kathy Long with DUI. I came across your post. Happy you are looking at the DUI Flx Extreme. BTW we just released a new 'My Drysuit' app through the Apple iTunes Store. It's a fun, interactive app that let's you design your DUI drysuit. In case you want to give it a try.

The DUI Flx Extreme does come standard with choice of ZipSeals, boots, warm neck collar and zipper guard. You can request Si-Tech valves over the Apek's valves - currently this is no additional cost. It also comes standard with Cordura overlay kneepads and the internal waist cord and crotch strap. DUI guarantees the fit on all Special Production drysuits and we have a 7 year warranty on the seams.

We do a fun feature weekly on our website call DUI Owner of the Week. We also post this on the DUI Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/DUI.Diver . Our current DOG of the Week (dry suit) is shown wearing his DUI TLS350SP drysuit which he purchased 26 years ago. He happens to be our #1179 DOTW - that's pretty impressive. If you look at the thread on FB James replied regarding his DUI drysuit he purchased in 1994.

Drysuit diving is awesome and I wish you well in your new diving adventures!

Regards,

Kathy

love my dui, i have the tls350 with th heavy overlays and its super durable plus it still drys pretty fast. i pretty much just stick to 200g undergarments, but i run very very warm and wear my 3mm wetsuit down to 60F (for recreational).couldn't be happier with the fit and the warmth from diving dry. i did get the custom fit as i have a weird shaped body but no problem reaching my values.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom