Fixing Issues with my drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems I got Rolock 3s not rolock 90s. They have the red glove capture rings. There definitely isn’t space for the fluffy liner to fit it seems. I’ll try giving that company a call. How do I insulate my hand in an unlined glove?
Wear a fleece glove liner. You just have to size the glove appropriately.

Ok, looks like the gloves are SHOWA 490s with a latex bottle seal glued on. I already attached the rolock 3s and can’t get them off. I’ll attach pics below. I’ll try to get a set of the 720s and replace them. Thanks!!

Glove:
View attachment 839422
inside of the glove. ignore the fact that it looks mildly explicit lol
View attachment 839423

There is nothing wrong with diving your setup as you have it except with the latex cuff of the gloves, as you noted, are too long.

The latex cuffs are typically used as a pullover type glove. I recommend that when you receive whatever you get as a replacement, that you remove your latex cuffed gloves carefully because these will make for a good backup set that you can use to quickly save-a-dive if your new gloves are ever compromised...juststretch the latex cuff over the cuff rings installed on your suit and then splash....then during your surface interval you can take the 5 to 10 minutes to swap out a new pair of gloves on your glove rings.

If you decide that you like the SHOWA 720 gloves, once you settle on the size you prefer, you can purchase them fairly inexpensively on amazon and ebay...though I am still on the original pair that SHOWA sent me a handful of years ago.

-Z

I already attached the rolock 3s and can’t get them off.
I've got a suggestion. First, watch this video on adjusting glove length. This works great for fine tuning my 90s. Yes, I know you'd like to remove them completely. So first, take some silicone grease (did your kit come with a little tub of it like mine did?). Put a nice ring of silcon grease on the outside of the glove, right next to the glove side of the ring. Pull that glove material into the locking ring, following the instructions in this video, work it all the way around so that greased up glove surface is now fully inside the ring. Repeat the process on the other side of the ring, working that silicone lubed glove back the other way, as if you want to make the glove longer.

Now everything should be relatively lubed up and you should be able to start working the glove out like this next video. Since you have those latex seals at the end I don't think you are going to be able to pull the glove all the way off like in this vid, so maybe get it started, and then reach inside the glove and see if you can start pushing out one side of the red ring so that it gets a bit of an angle and then the gentle tugging of removing the glove will pull the red ring out as well.

It seems I got Rolock 3s not rolock 90s. They have the red glove capture rings. There definitely isn’t space for the fluffy liner to fit it seems.

The red capture ring is what differentiates the Rolock 3 from the Rolock 1 and Rolock 2....the red capture ring is designed to be used with gloves like the SHOWA 660, 495, 720, and other gloves without an attached insulating lining.

The blue capture ring of the Rolock 1 is meant to be used with size small and medium SHOWA 490 gloves with that glued in fuzzy acrylic liner. The black capture ring of the Rolock 2 is meant to be used with size large and medium SHOWA 490 gloves.

Other than the different color/diamter capture ring, as described above, there is no difference between the Rolock 1, 2, and 3.

The difference between the Rolock 1, 2, and 3, and the Rolock 90 is that the later is designed to integrate with the cuff rings of the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist ring system.

How do I insulate my hand in an unlined glove?

I typically dive with Dakine Storm liner gloves, unless the water is uber cold...then I use a pair of the yellow fuzzy acrylic liner gloves from a set of SHOWA 495 gloves.

-Z

The red capture ring is what differentiates the Rolock 3 from the Rolock 1 and Rolock 2....the red capture ring is designed to be used with gloves like the SHOWA 660, 495, 720, and other gloves without an attached insulating lining.

The blue capture ring of the Rolock 1 is meant to be used with size small and medium SHOWA 490 gloves with that glued in fuzzy acrylic liner. The black capture ring of the Rolock 2 is meant to be used with size large and medium SHOWA 490 gloves.

Other than the different color/diamter capture ring, as described above, there is no difference between the Rolock 1, 2, and 3.

The difference between the Rolock 1, 2, and 3, and the Rolock 90 is that the later is designed to integrate with the cuff rings of the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist ring system.

I typically dive with Dakine Storm liner gloves, unless the water is uber cold...then I use a pair of the yellow fuzzy acrylic liner gloves from a set of SHOWA 495 gloves.

-Z
Ahhh ok that makes sense. Will the extra length likely be an issue or should it be fine for a few practice dives?

I've got a suggestion. First, watch this video on adjusting glove length. This works great for fine tuning my 90s. Yes, I know you'd like to remove them completely. So first, take some silicone grease (did your kit come with a little tub of it like mine did?). Put a nice ring of silcon grease on the outside of the glove, right next to the glove side of the ring. Pull that glove material into the locking ring, following the instructions in this video, work it all the way around so that greased up glove surface is now fully inside the ring. Repeat the process on the other side of the ring, working that silicone lubed glove back the other way, as if you want to make the glove longer.

Now everything should be relatively lubed up and you should be able to start working the glove out like this next video. Since you have those latex seals at the end I don't think you are going to be able to pull the glove all the way off like in this vid, so maybe get it started, and then reach inside the glove and see if you can start pushing out one side of the red ring so that it gets a bit of an angle and then the gentle tugging of removing the glove will pull the red ring out as well.

Oh excellent!! Thank you!

Ahhh ok that makes sense. Will the extra length likely be an issue or should it be fine for a few practice dives?
I keep my gloves long for a few reasons. One, it removes any chance of me reaching beyond the length of my sleeve and potentially popping a ring off. Two, the "extra" isn't enough to balloon the glove off my hand since my thick liners prevent that and the my 660s are lined so even my thin liners grab it. I got mine even and leave it at that. They might be a little longer than pictured here, I think I pulled them out to reduce the amount of glove on my ring.

20240124_164743.jpg
20240124_164518.jpg

Back
Top Bottom