Fixing Issues with my drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck(ed)Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all!

I just recently got a drysuit since I’ll be diving as a job this summer and I also want to get into tec diving. My drysuit just arrived yesterday (I got a seaskin nova) and I have a few minor issues I want to see if I can fix.

Issue 1: I ordered lined dry gloves and they fit fine but when I attached them to the dry glove system, it became apparent that they are way too long in the wrist section. There was a latex seal glued to the glove and the lining goes right to the edge of the lining. Would I have to cut some of the lining out and attach the cuff to the actual glove?

Issue 2: I didn’t realize that a double zipper for the front zip isn’t standard on their product so my suit only has one zipper. I’m not sure how big of an issue this would be but all the other drysuit i have seen have a double zipper. How hard would it be for me to attach one myself or is it likely a shop would be able to do that for me?

I don’t believe I have time to send it back so that seaskin can fix it but if that’s my best option is can probably find time.

Thanks!!

The outer over-zipper cover (called the "main body dry zip cover" by Seaskin) is just a protective cover for the actual zipper that seals your drysuit and in some folks' minds, enhances the aesthetics of the suit. This was an approximately $22 option when building out your suit on their website, 3rd page of the buildout options under the heading: "Zip and pee valve options".

The cover is not essential and your suit will probably be fine without it, but if you feel you really must have it, and if sending your suit back to Seaskin is not an option, then contact DRIS (diverightinscuba.com) to see if this is something they can do for you. They are located in Illinois and are one of the leading drysuit repair and customization shops in the US.

Please post a picture or two of your drygloves so folks have a better understanding of your concern. Also please indicate which dryglove "system" you have or post pictures of that as well.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the world of diving in comfort and warmth (relatively speaking).

-Z

The outer over-zipper cover (called the "main body dry zip cover" by Seaskin) is just a protective cover for the actual zipper that seals your drysuit and in some folks' minds, enhances the aesthetics of the suit. This was an approximately $22 option when building out your suit on their website, 3rd page of the buildout options under the heading: "Zip and pee valve options".

The cover is not essential and your suit will probably be fine without it, but if you feel you really must have it, and if sending your suit back to Seaskin is not an option, then contact DRIS (diverightinscuba.com) to see if this is something they can do for you. They are located in Illinois and are one of the leading drysuit repair and customization shops in the US.

Please post a picture or two of your drygloves so folks have a better understanding of your concern. Also please indicate which dryglove "system" you have or post pictures of that as well.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the world of diving in comfort and warmth (relatively speaking).

-Z
Thank you!! That’s good to know. I’ll post a pic of the gloves when I get home. I got the rolock 90 dry glove system and already attached the gloves.

Thank you!! That’s good to know. I’ll post a pic of the gloves when I get home. I got the rolock 90 dry glove system and already attached the gloves.

I dive the Rolock 90 system with SHOWA 720 gloves. Give SHOWA a call, 1-800-241-0323...they will send you free sample pairs of gloves to try. You can request different model gloves in different sizes to figure out what suits your purpose and fits you best. You can browse their site at Protective gloves (PPE) for medical and industry use · SHOWA Gloves.

Popular gloves for diving are:
720 - uninsulated nitrile glove ***(I highly recommend this glove)
660 - uninsulated PVC glove
495 - PVC glove with removable insulating acrylic underglove
490 - PVC glove with non-removable insulating acrylic lining ***(I don't recommend this glove)

Once you have replacement gloves, removing your gloves from the Rolock 90 rings and reinstalling the replacements is simple to do and will serve as practice so that should you ever need to replace your gloves at a divesite, you will be prepared regarding how to do it.

Still, post those pictures when you have a chance, so we can better understand what your concern is.

Cheers,
-Z

Issue 1: I ordered lined dry gloves and they fit fine but when I attached them to the dry glove system, it became apparent that they are way too long in the wrist section. There was a latex seal glued to the glove and the lining goes right to the edge of the lining. Would I have to cut some of the lining out and attach the cuff to the actual glove?
Do you have the blue or black glove-capture rings with your Rolock 90 system? I ask because the answer will affect your options.

Based on what you wrote, I'm guessing you have the blue rings (these have a slightly larger diameter than the black rings). It sounds like you placed a glove-capture inner ring on an unlined cuff and then snapped the inner ring into place, capturing the glove's unlined portion and none of its fluffy layer. If this is so, then you probably need to buy a set of unlined gloves (the post by Zef is very helpful for this) and use those.

(If you get unlined gloves, you'll also want to buy a separate set of liners; I like the 4th Element Xerotherm, but that's a side note.)

If you have the black glove-capture rings (these have a smaller diameter than the blue rings), then you placed the glove-capture ring over part of the dryglove's fluffy lining and then snapped it into place, capturing the fluffy layer. If this is the case, then you can simply pop out the glove, move the ring further up toward your hand, and then reinstall the glove.

Alternatively, if you have the blue rings but really want to use the lined gloves you bought, I just came into possession of some black rings (thanks, @lexvil!) that I can pass along for the price of postage. If you want to do this, please PM me.

I dive the Rolock 90 system with SHOWA 720 gloves. Give SHOWA a call, 1-800-241-0323...they will send you free sample pairs of gloves to try. You can request different model gloves in different sizes to figure out what suits your purpose and fits you best. You can browse their site at Protective gloves (PPE) for medical and industry use · SHOWA Gloves.

490 - PVC glove with non-removable insulating acrylic lining ***(I don't recommend this glove)
Thanks for the informative and helpful post, @Zef.

I've tried using Showa's online sample-request page, but it always fails. I'll try giving them a phone call.

I just spoke with Mandy from Showa customer service, and she said that the Request a sample button on their website isn't working. The only way to request a sample is to call then the customer service agent will give you their email for you to send your request to.

Based on advice from Scubaboard I got samples of the 660 and 720. I like the 720s much better. I also just received the Xerotherms and seem a great match. Hopefully, they will be warm enough.

Do you have the blue or black glove-capture rings with your Rolock 90 system? I ask because the answer will affect your options.

Based on what you wrote, I'm guessing you have the blue rings (these have a slightly larger diameter than the black rings). It sounds like you placed a glove-capture inner ring on an unlined cuff and then snapped the inner ring into place, capturing the glove's unlined portion and none of its fluffy layer. If this is so, then you probably need to buy a set of unlined gloves (the post by Zef is very helpful for this) and use those.

(If you get unlined gloves, you'll also want to buy a separate set of liners; I like the 4th Element Xerotherm, but that's a side note.)

If you have the black glove-capture rings (these have a smaller diameter than the blue rings), then you placed the glove-capture ring over part of the dryglove's fluffy lining and then snapped it into place, capturing the fluffy layer. If this is the case, then you can simply pop out the glove, move the ring further up toward your hand, and then reinstall the glove.

Alternatively, if you have the blue rings but really want to use the lined gloves you bought, I just came into possession of some black rings (thanks, @lexvil!) that I can pass along for the price of postage. If you want to do this, please PM me.
It seems I got Rolock 3s not rolock 90s. They have the red glove capture rings. There definitely isn’t space for the fluffy liner to fit it seems. I’ll try giving that company a call. How do I insulate my hand in an unlined glove?

Once you have replacement gloves, removing your gloves from the Rolock 90 rings and reinstalling the replacements is simple to do and will serve as practice so that should you ever need to replace your gloves at a divesite, you will be prepared regarding how to do it.

Still, post those pictures when you have a chance, so we can better understand what your concern is.

Cheers,
-Z
Ok, looks like the gloves are SHOWA 490s with a latex bottle seal glued on. I already attached the rolock 3s and can’t get them off. I’ll attach pics below. I’ll try to get a set of the 720s and replace them. Thanks!!

Glove:
IMG_3557.jpeg

inside of the glove. ignore the fact that it looks mildly explicit lol
IMG_3558.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom