Question Kubi Fitted Dry Cuff system with Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Wants2divemore

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm ordering a Seaskin Nova drysuit with the Kubi Fitted Dry Cuff system and the Supplement for Siflex (Silicon) seals with Sitech/Kubi Docking systems. I understand that you can use the Kubi system with regular neoprene wetsuit gloves for when you don't want to use the drysuit gloves.

Am I correct that the suit side would then have a simple silicone wrist seal attached to it? If so, how do I order extra silicone wrist seals for using neoprene gloves in case the original gets a tear? I can't find anything on the Seaskin or Kubi websites.

Yes, the suit side can take a silicone seal or a latex seal. There is a slot in one of the aluminum rings, and a large O-ring will trap the seal inside the slot. I like the SiFlex silicone seals that came installed on my drysuit. SeaSkin used to carry both the black and the blue color of SiFlex's seal in the Replacement and Repair Parts section of the website. But you're right, I don't currently see them there.

Maybe they are out of stock, or maybe they are having issues with the website. I'd recommend giving them a call to ask about it. If that doesn't work out, you can purchase them from another vendor, they're pretty cheap -- I want to say SeaSkin had them for $10-20 a pair.

Edit to add: I don't find that diving with a wet glove is any easier than diving with a dryglove, by the way. For a long time I dived without any wrist seal at all, and just relied on the dryglove seal. For the types of diving I do, a dryglove leak is not life-threatening; cold-water tech divers really do need the seal redundancy, but I don't.

I don't find that diving with a wet glove is any easier than diving with a dryglove, by the way.
If anything I think it's easier and warmer.
For a long time I dived without any wrist seal at all, and just relied on the dryglove seal. For the types of diving I do, a dryglove leak is not life-threatening; cold-water tech divers really do need the seal redundancy, but I don't.
In theory this is true, but reality is the same thing can happen to your suit and you'd be in the same situation, and we don't have "seals" for the suit. I dive very cold water without the complete seal. I'm very hard on my gloves and the most that I've ever gotten has been a pin hole. The Showa 720's that I use would need to really be abused to get a "tear", I just don't see it happening. And if it did then it would have happened to whatever part of the suit "that" happened to.

It would be and has been annoying (the pin holes), but never "life threatening". Maybe I would feel differently if it was a crazy amount of deco... or maybe I would just be a little more careful. I'd venture to say my gloves hold up better then wet gloves and they're a heck of a lot cheaper too.

I'm ordering a Seaskin Nova drysuit with the Kubi Fitted Dry Cuff system and the Supplement for Siflex (Silicon) seals with Sitech/Kubi Docking systems. I understand that you can use the Kubi system with regular neoprene wetsuit gloves for when you don't want to use the drysuit gloves.

Am I correct that the suit side would then have a simple silicone wrist seal attached to it? If so, how do I order extra silicone wrist seals for using neoprene gloves in case the original gets a tear? I can't find anything on the Seaskin or Kubi websites.

You can add or remove the wrist seal from kubi rings at any time you want. It is a simple 5 minute job the first time and under 2 once you've done it a time or two. Here is the process that I have pictures of. I dive without wrist seals because I like the ease of getting in and out. If I flood the sleeve from a cut glove then I'm just going to surface and be done for the day.

Edit: order spare neck seals now as well. Good to have 2-3 on hand either for you or a buddy. I tore my first one when taking it off from hanging (I've now gotten rid of the hook on my strap).

20230311_141557.jpg
20230311_143208.jpg
20230311_143244.jpg
20230311_143248.jpg
20230311_143257.jpg

So I think I may have learned something new today. Are you saying that you can completely remove the silicone wrist seal and still use the suit.. interesting.

With mine there still has to be something in there, so it's a set of damaged seals. They've been working great for going on 3 years.

So what do you do when your Kubi's pop off underwater? I bet that size 36mm ain't no 36 anymore🤣🤣:poke:

With mine there still has to be something in there, so it's a set of damaged seals. They've been working great for going on 3 years.
The kubi suit side is permanently affixed to the suit when Seaskin builds the suit. The second (smaller) suit ring holds the wrist seal and is the connecting point for the glove side. The wrist seal is fully replaceable and not part of the ring system for dry gloves. The dry glove ring then slides into the smaller suit ring and is held in place by friction from the o-ring. I have neo covers on my suit that prevent the rings from separating without first pulling them back or serious fụckery.

Edit: I added some description to the pics in my above post. The first set of pics is all of the inner ring that holds the wrist seal and mates with the glove side ring.

The kubi suit side is permanently affixed to the suit when Seaskin builds the suit. The second (smaller) suit ring holds the wrist seal and is the connecting point for the glove side. The wrist seal is fully replaceable and not part of the ring system for dry gloves. The dry glove ring then slides into the smaller suit ring and is held in place by friction from the o-ring. I have neo covers on my suit that prevent the rings from separating without first pulling them back or serious fụckery.

Edit: I added some description to the pics in my above post. The first set of pics is all of the inner ring that holds the wrist seal and mates with the glove side ring.
Ok.. I know I'm dense. Do you need to have a silicone seal installed in order to use the system, or can you take that completely out and it still seals?

Ok.. I know I'm dense. Do you need to have a silicone seal installed in order to use the system, or can you take that completely out and it still seals?
Inner ring does not need the wrist seal, that is a user choice. Glove ring goes into inner ring. Inner ring is held in place with the small black o-ring and seals with the fat red one.
My pretty suit
20231025_155544.jpg

Inner ring inside suit ring
20231025_155615.jpg

Inner ring showing no wrist seal installed
20231025_155732.jpg

Glove side
20231025_155454.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom