• DUI

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Seaskin

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Something else ...

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshift, good to hear that about the Seaskin. My girlfriend and I both have some cuts on the knees of your wetsuits from diving in Zeeland in the Netherlands, there are a lot of oysters there and those things are really sharp. We do our bests to avoid them, but there is always a chance of hitting one by accidnent. Do you think the default reinforcement will be tough enough.

So it will be best to get the socks one size larger?

What kind of undersuit do you use when diving over there in Finland? I would guess it can get really cold there outside the summer?

Well, I don't know, I try not to use my knees when diving :)
I don't remember how the foot size is given, but I remember first I had boots and they were large, so swapped for neoprene socks and they are tight. OK with thin under socks, but I have thick ones and would prefer larger neoprene socks. They also have (or used to have) a sticky tape inside that doesn't make it easy to slide the feet in. In that regard, the DUI is nicer. But I'd say go for lager size if getting socks. The boots will also take care of the extra material.
When I got it I was in the UK and used a NorthernDiver undersuit. Now I have a Halo3D. I think their 250g suit is not enough for cold water. And if getting a think undersuit, notice that Seaskin has an option for that, they'll make the suit a bit larger.

Well, I don't know, I try not to use my knees when diving :)

Well, that's what we are "trying" to do :wink: It almost only happens when we need to get on our knees to do something for a course or when entering/exiting, but most of the times we try to avoid it.

That's a really good tip about the socks, thanks!

That's also what I was thinking about the 250 gr thinsulate suit. To combat this I was thinking of combining it with the Tech baselayer from Seaskin (I guess this is just high wicking thermal underwear) + Fourth Element Arctic undergarements. If needed I can also add my sharkskin. My hope is that everything together is warm enough for the coldest dives I want to do +-4C and that I can combine layers so that I'm not to hot in the warmest water we can get here +-22C.

I have a seaskin and have been been diving it for over 4 years now. I've had one or two leaks, but they were small and easily patched with a bit of aquaseal. I replaced the wrist and neck seals myself last year. I bought all the bits I needed direct from seaskin myself. I wouldn't bother with the kubi drygloves. If you want to save some money, go for the KWTT system. dead easy to install and take out, but I just keep mine in.

That KWTT looks nice! How is it installed? Similar to the SiTech where there is a ring inside the latex seal pushing against a ring outside, fixing it and then the glove locks in? Their pdf link is broken...

That KWTT looks nice! How is it installed? Similar to the SiTech where there is a ring inside the latex seal pushing against a ring outside, fixing it and then the glove locks in? Their pdf link is broken...

Internal ring inside the seal with an oring on the outside of the seal to secure it. then the outer ring clips onto the oring and the gloves clip onto outer ring. it sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. I'll see if i can get some pics of it and post them up tomorrow or tuesday. for the price, you can't go wrong really

That's also what I was thinking about the 250 gr thinsulate suit. To combat this I was thinking of combining it with the Tech baselayer from Seaskin (I guess this is just high wicking thermal underwear) + Fourth Element Arctic undergarements. If needed I can also add my sharkskin. My hope is that everything together is warm enough for the coldest dives I want to do +-4C and that I can combine layers so that I'm not to hot in the warmest water we can get here +-22C.

Exposure protection is a personal thing and a balance must be struck between warmth and maneuverability - I've tried diving in water of 4C in Arctics and was very cold, however using 3 layers of undergarments might restrict mobility. I use a Halo 3D with a merino base layer when temperatures go to single digits, Arctics with the same base layer for water 10-16C, remove the base layer for temperatures 17-22C and use just the base layer (or wetsuits) for anything warmer. I think that dry gloves is a prerequisite in order to dive in water below 10C for longer than 30-40 mins.

Internal ring inside the seal with an oring on the outside of the seal to secure it. then the outer ring clips onto the oring and the gloves clip onto outer ring. it sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. I'll see if i can get some pics of it and post them up tomorrow or tuesday. for the price, you can't go wrong really

I think I understand. Sounds similar to the SiTech. I have fixed rings on mine, but have seen people using the other system and have seen it leaking, so was wondering if that KWTT was better. It does look smaller and with a nice o-ring.

I think I understand. Sounds similar to the SiTech. I have fixed rings on mine, but have seen people using the other system and have seen it leaking, so was wondering if that KWTT was better. It does look smaller and with a nice o-ring.

I've only had about 3 leaks with mine. Once, I punctured the glove, and the other times I had a bit of glove caught in the o-ring. Out of 200 or so dives, I don't think 3 leaks is bad going

I have a seaskin and have been been diving it for over 4 years now. I've had one or two leaks, but they were small and easily patched with a bit of aquaseal.

Is one or two leaks good or bad? I would say that none would be the best, but if you use it a lot over a period of 4 years I guess you're going to get some wear and tear somewhere?

I don't know about the KWTT gloves, they look to be just as good than the Si Tech ones and really good value. I think I'm going to go for the Antares system from Si Tech. When I went diving yesterday evening someone there had a Santi suit with the Antares system and she was really happy with it, she never had any leaks in the two years she has it and goes diving 3 times a week. I had a good look at it and it doesn't look to bulky and the plastic looks really tough. The whole thing looks really well made.

Exposure protection is a personal thing and a balance must be struck between warmth and maneuverability - I've tried diving in water of 4C in Arctics and was very cold, however using 3 layers of undergarments might restrict mobility. I use a Halo 3D with a merino base layer when temperatures go to single digits, Arctics with the same base layer for water 10-16C, remove the base layer for temperatures 17-22C and use just the base layer (or wetsuits) for anything warmer. I think that dry gloves is a prerequisite in order to dive in water below 10C for longer than 30-40 mins.

On the layering guide of Fourth Element they never use more than 3 layers, but then again they only use their own stuff that looks really flexible. Maybe thinsulate wouldn't be so flexible?

When I was asking everybody about their drysuits yesterday one guy was diving a 200gr thinsulate from Santi and he wasn't cold in 10C water, he says that he uses it in temperatures down to 7C. Any colder and he puts on 400gr thinsulate. After hearing that I was kinda sure that 250gr + artics would be enough for me. But now I'm doubting about the flexibility :D (Will it ever stop) I think that if the the artics are flixible then there wouldn't be much difference when wearing it with the thinsulate, it would just be a thicker thus a bit less flexible?

In Decathlon (a sports store over here) they sell merino wool clothing in various thickness’s at attractive prices. A 190gr shirt with long sleeves is 29.95 € and 250gr is 44.95 €, they only have leggings in 100gr for 29.95 €. Could this be better than the Tech underwear from Seaskin?

I looked at the Whites drysuit and I think it is a really interesting looking drysuit and a really original system, but I don't think it will be right for me. The inner bag and the way you get in it just looks a bit strange. They are also not that much cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom