looking for dive buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not part of your original plan, but if you guys change your minds I'll be diving West Palm Friday and then I'm taking students to Weeki Wachee (www.weekiwachee.com) Saturday. There you have to be with an instructor -- it's a little out of the way for you, but where else can you dive in an underwater theater and maybe even see mermaids!!!

Just thought I would give you a little more info. I live in Deltona which is just around the corner of Deland. I dived at Alexander Springs today. The park is very nice, but watch out for the giant horse flies. They have a nasty bite. As far as the dive goes, it's not really that exciting. It's only 24 ft. max. The spring basin is like a big bowl with a couple of small caverns to peep into. You might see some interesting fish around the edges near the vegetation: bass, carp, bream, tilapia, mudfish and possibly some snapper turtles and softshell turtles.

Blue Springs is a more challenging dive. It is a cavern dive straight down with some cool little ledges to help you work your way down. You can get down to about 65 feet with an OW cert. and then you hit a warning sign that tells you not to go any deeper unless you are cave certified. Dive lights are not allowed if you are not cave certified and you have to dive there with a buddy. There is a fairly strong upflow that you have to kick against to get down. Some people think they need extra weight but all I do is give a little kick. You have to enter a little way down from the spring opening. I suggest carrying your fins and wading so you won't burn your air fighting the current. Overall, I think Blue Springs is the more exciting dive and it's closer.

The only problem is that I don't know of any scuba shops nearby. I get my fills in Sanford.

Hope this helps. :D
D.

Would Sanford be the closest to me, as far as dive shops? I have to pick up some new boots and snorkel. I'd also like to rent a couple of tanks for the time I'm there.

I would say Daytona would be closer for you. Sanford is close to where I work so it is more convenient for me. There may even be a shop in Deland, I just don't know offhand. I'm relatively new to the sport myself. Also, someone on this site may know of one.

Have fun! :D

nobody else wants to do blue springs with us?
it'll be my first dive there. I'm looking forward to it.
going back to west palm sounds like fun. I just hate the drive back to orlando after the dives. I'm normally wiped out. plus the vis was pretty lousy last weekend.

If your doing Blue Springs on Friday then I'm in. Can't do it Saturday cause I'll be doing another dive out in Weeki Wachee. If you could just let me know for sure so I can take the day off. Also, how early are you planning on going? Thanks!

rotorboy:
If your doing Blue Springs on Friday then I'm in. Can't do it Saturday cause I'll be doing another dive out in Weeki Wachee. If you could just let me know for sure so I can take the day off. Also, how early are you planning on going? Thanks!
I'm free friday and saturday this week.
I work monday and wednesday (intern) and have classes tuesday and thursday. the rest of the time I'm free. so friday is fine for me.
any time you guys wanna head out I'm available.

robw22:
Would Sanford be the closest to me, as far as dive shops? I have to pick up some new boots and snorkel. I'd also like to rent a couple of tanks for the time I'm there.
there aren't many (any?) dive shops in sanford. there was one but I believe it recently went out of business.
I'm in lake mary (just up the road from sanford) and there are several shops here. but like someone said daytona may be closer to you

No dive shops left in the Deland area anymore. The last time I drove through Sanford the dive shop on 17-92 appeared to be open, but that was a while ago. I am thinking that Lake Mary might be a little further than Daytona, but not by much.

FL DVLover, I was at Alexander yesterday, but I wasn't diving, just introducing my son to snorkeling. Which group were you with?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom