Looking for BP/w (Single and later Doubles)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Kitzy

Kitzy

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for BP/w as I want to switch over from Jacket

My kit is... Rather complicated (For what it is), I use a massive 41 ah 14.4 volt battery with has a canister light attached to it, alongside a voltage regulator that converts the 14.4 volt to 12 volt for my heating:
My kit is heavy, incredibly heavy... 52kg, with a 10l 300 bar (This is everything)

Part of the reason I want to eventually switch to doubles, in theory I should be able to get more air for minimal increase in weight (9.5kg as of current is lead, I dive dry)

As for what exactly I am looking for inside of a BP/w, something that could work with a single but also a double, something that would support such a large battery and the voltage regulator (Ideally being able to clip the battery on easily and being able to keep the voltage regulator on the BP/w).

My budget in theory is limitless, that being said I'm a sucker for value for money and much rather not spend 200 euro's for a 1% increase in comfort.

I am rather new to BP/w so my apologies if I left out vital information, always open to questions/suggestions and thanks in advance for such!

Wish I had someone nearby that knew these things very well that could help me with it, dive with me, see how it is in the water, etc.
Aren't there several Dutch divers on here? I know there's a thread... Looks like you already found it.

If you'll allow me to go off topic for a bit... What the hell is wrong with the current generation if a long-legged 6'1" 24-year-old female diver can't find a dozen male and a couple of female divers falling all over themselves to help out? Of course, most of them wouldn't have a clue, but still...

Aren't there several Dutch divers on here? I know there's a thread... Looks like you already found it.

If you'll allow me to go off topic for a bit... What the hell is wrong with the current generation if a long-legged 6'1" 24-year-old female diver can't find a dozen male and a couple of female divers falling all over themselves to help out? Of course, most of them wouldn't have a clue, but still...
Nah not a female, still a male :p (A man with a womans body, not a woman with a mans body)

Don't worry though, not the first to mistake me xD.

And there are, but I'm really slow with kitting up, don't have a car, etc.

So, that doesn't help xD

Nah not a female, still a male :p (A man with a womans body, not a woman with a mans body)

Don't worry though, not the first to mistake me xD.
Not that it matters, but I don't think I've got it yet. Can I just go by the avatar? :)

And there are, but I'm really slow with kitting up, don't have a car, etc.

So, that doesn't help xD
Kitting up gets faster with repetition. You can always practice at home. A checklist is not a bad idea at least until it becomes automatic. Next is arriving at the divesite with as much set up as possible and everything organized.

Not sure about the car. Can't you use Greenwheels or something? (first google result, I don't actually have any idea how well car sharing works in your locale)

Thanks for the suggestion but it seems I really outta stay clear of hybrids based on the advice given here, so unless a couple of people come forward and say this really is the solution that is rather what I outta do atm
Hybrids are a poor option. My first bp/w configuration included one. It's too big for single tank, so you have lots of drag and you don't get nearly as much lift as you should with doubles because the tanks squeeze the bladder a bit too much. Just buy a couple different wings and swap them out as needed. A few wingnuts (actually I think it's a book-nut or something) to remove/replace the wing from the plate.

I really like my deluxe harness especially if I'm diving in just a bathing suit or rashguard. It's more comfortable and more convenient to don/doff. I don't use a backplate pad.

Something to look for in a wing is a zipper so you can replace the bladder. Diverite includes this feature in many (all?) of their wings. They're not the only brand that does. That way when you develop a leak for whatever reason it's 2 minutes and 100 usd - or whatever the crazy 2022 pricetag is on them.

Changing my configuration with relative ease was a big part of why I got my first bp/w. In fact, it's the ONLY thing I purchased when I first started diving that I still use.

but I'm really slow with kitting up,
Maybe you do this already,
but Bp/w, tank, regs are all assembled and aired up before I leave,

All I have to do, is suit up, put on my computer and mask, get my bp/w on,
Grab my spool and lift bag and clip on, grab my gloves and fins, I am ready to go..

But I am always try to condense my gear and make it simpler

Not that it matters, but I don't think I've got it yet. Can I just go by the avatar? :)

Kitting up gets faster with repetition. You can always practice at home. A checklist is not a bad idea at least until it becomes automatic. Next is arriving at the divesite with as much set up as possible and everything organized.

Not sure about the car. Can't you use Greenwheels or something? (first google result, I don't actually have any idea how well car sharing works in your locale)
Do what is most comfy to you, I do not mind.

As it stands I ask most of my buddies to pick me up if it's further then the local dive place, and even then I pray they can :p
Just to reference, I am 6'2 (6'1.7 to be exact) and also have short torso and long legs, regular size plates works just fine.
That's reassuring

Hybrids are a poor option. My first bp/w configuration included one. It's too big for single tank, so you have lots of drag and you don't get nearly as much lift as you should with doubles because the tanks squeeze the bladder a bit too much. Just buy a couple different wings and swap them out as needed. A few wingnuts (actually I think it's a book-nut or something) to remove/replace the wing from the plate.

I really like my deluxe harness especially if I'm diving in just a bathing suit or rashguard. It's more comfortable and more convenient to don/doff. I don't use a backplate pad.

Something to look for in a wing is a zipper so you can replace the bladder. Diverite includes this feature in many (all?) of their wings. They're not the only brand that does. That way when you develop a leak for whatever reason it's 2 minutes and 100 usd - or whatever the crazy 2022 pricetag is on them.

Changing my configuration with relative ease was a big part of why I got my first bp/w. In fact, it's the ONLY thing I purchased when I first started diving that I still use.
Yeah hybrid is off the table and thanks for the feedback on the zipper part, yeah prices are no joke atm.
Maybe you do this already,
but Bp/w, tank, regs are all assembled and aired up before I leave,

All I have to do, is suit up, put on my computer and mask, get my bp/w on,
Grab my spool and lift bag and clip on, grab my gloves and fins, I am ready to go..

But I am always try to condense my gear and make it simpler
If I had a car I would, as it stands i'd have to go to the dive center and grab my cylinder before going back home again, the place I live at doesn't allow high pressured objects such as cylinders.

Something ******** about explosion hazards, i'd really outta have just not asked and done it anyways... Still tempted to this day just to keep it at my place anyways, but if the person who goes about the building ever found out... Not sure if i'd be kicked out.

I plan on doing steel with mid sized lead pockets (6.5-7kg total, dive center said due to the size each pocket can fit 4kg and not just 3kg)
I'm not sure what kind of weight-system you're looking at. I use something like this with my sidemount BCD

Mine is the "Hollis SMS100 Weight Plate" which is about $80 on ebay at the moment, but the $45 Chinese one should work fine.

You don't need "deluxe harnesses". The buckles are nice day-1, but once you're adjusted, you'll maybe only make a couple small adjustments that don't take long on a normal harness. You can add shoulder-pads to any harnesses using these or something like it:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom