Looking for BP/w (Single and later Doubles)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Kitzy

Kitzy

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for BP/w as I want to switch over from Jacket

My kit is... Rather complicated (For what it is), I use a massive 41 ah 14.4 volt battery with has a canister light attached to it, alongside a voltage regulator that converts the 14.4 volt to 12 volt for my heating:
My kit is heavy, incredibly heavy... 52kg, with a 10l 300 bar (This is everything)

Part of the reason I want to eventually switch to doubles, in theory I should be able to get more air for minimal increase in weight (9.5kg as of current is lead, I dive dry)

As for what exactly I am looking for inside of a BP/w, something that could work with a single but also a double, something that would support such a large battery and the voltage regulator (Ideally being able to clip the battery on easily and being able to keep the voltage regulator on the BP/w).

My budget in theory is limitless, that being said I'm a sucker for value for money and much rather not spend 200 euro's for a 1% increase in comfort.

I am rather new to BP/w so my apologies if I left out vital information, always open to questions/suggestions and thanks in advance for such!

I am looking for BP/w as I want to switch over from Jacket

My kit is... Rather complicated (For what it is), I use a massive 41 ah 14.4 volt battery with has a canister light attached to it, alongside a voltage regulator that converts the 14.4 volt to 12 volt for my heating:
My kit is heavy, incredibly heavy... 52kg, with a 10l 300 bar (This is everything)

Part of the reason I want to eventually switch to doubles, in theory I should be able to get more air for minimal increase in weight (9.5kg as of current is lead, I dive dry)

As for what exactly I am looking for inside of a BP/w, something that could work with a single but also a double, something that would support such a large battery and the voltage regulator (Ideally being able to clip the battery on easily and being able to keep the voltage regulator on the BP/w).

My budget in theory is limitless, that being said I'm a sucker for value for money and much rather not spend 200 euro's for a 1% increase in comfort.

I am rather new to BP/w so my apologies if I left out vital information, always open to questions/suggestions and thanks in advance for such!
Holy crap that's a lot of weight. But then again I have no idea what's on my back in a set of doubles... maybe it's that much, Idk.

The BP itself would switch between singles / doubles. So all the adjustments stay with the plate, you just change wings. There is more "tweaking" to get the bp and harness dialed in, but once there its such a sweet feeling.

The sky is the limit for how and where you want to clip things off.. most of us go fore a more simple approach, less bulk, but you really can build your setup to suit you.

(P.S. - you can load pictures directly to Scubaboard, you don't have to host them on other sites)

Just to get this thread kicked off (plenty of people know more about BP+W than me), the vast majority of BPs should work just fine with most wings, harnesses, singles, and doubles.

But if you're working with an "unlimited" budget, look into the Freedom Plate.

Unfortunately, they're rarely produced anymore. So maybe you can convince someone to part with theirs for the right price on the used market. Disclaimer that I haven't used one myself, and am a sidemount diver, but I've been drooling over the idea of getting one even though I have no need for one. Although who knows, maybe it's great for sidemount.

To upload photos into a post, use the ATTACH FILES button on the left when doing a new post.

Holy crap that's a lot of weight. But then again I have no idea what's on my back in a set of doubles... maybe it's that much, Idk.

The BP itself would switch between singles / doubles. So all the adjustments stay with the plate, you just change wings. There is more "tweaking" to get the bp and harness dialed in, but once there its such a sweet feeling.

The sky is the limit for how and where you want to clip things off.. most of us go fore a more simple approach, less bulk, but you really can build your setup to suit you.

(P.S. - you can load pictures directly to Scubaboard, you don't have to host them on other sites)
Thanks for the tip on the uploading of the pictures.

I don't dive doubles, that is the thing, my entire kit is 52kg with just a single. 😅

I am just not sure how I would even start attaching all these things/what BP/w might work best, hence asking

Just to get this thread kicked off (plenty of people know more about BP+W than me), the vast majority of BPs should work just fine with most wings, harnesses, singles, and doubles.

But if you're working with an "unlimited" budget, look into the Freedom Plate.

Unfortunately, they're rarely produced anymore. So maybe you can convince someone to part with theirs for the right price on the used market. Disclaimer that I haven't used one myself, and am a sidemount diver, but I've been drooling over the idea of getting one even though I have no need for one. Although who knows, maybe it's great for sidemount.
What's up with the freedom plate/what makes it so special?

I'd rather not wait 2 years before getting into BP/w, so there is that

Can you detail where all of that weight is coming from? A 10L 300B cylinder is only 15kg
It's 15kg empty iirc, 19kg or so full.
The battery is 3kg, the voltage regulator is prob a bit as well
Full face mask, with I prefer, is a bit.

That alone is added weight that a normal set wouldn't have, most likely adding up to 4-6kg.

What's up with the freedom plate/what makes it so special?

I'd rather not wait 2 years before getting into BP/w, so there is that
The freedom plate gives you increased flexibility to twist and move your arm/shoulders. That said, backplates can be swapped, just as you can swap wings, harnesses, and tank-mounts at will, so you could always swap to a freedom-plate much later. That said, I wouldn't worry about it now, and just get another backplate, and come back to this later.

I have some aluminum backplate, a steel backplate, and had a generic-$45-ebay-china backplate. They all seemed to work the same, with the only major difference being the weight. I probably got about 20 backplate dives in, during a 2-month period, before I went sidemount full time.

Nylon backplates are also a thing, but probably NOT what you're interested in. It's great with my sidemount rig, because it provides a little bit of rigidity, while still being flexible. That said, they're a little less useful with backmount, because you still have a rigid tank on your back that doesn't bend.

IMO, where things get more interesting with BP+W is not the backplate, but rather the harness or wing. For example, a large wing on a single tank sucks; it creates a lot of drag and is more difficult to dump air.

Harnesses can be rather customizable. I'd start with a one-piece webbing, and follow standard instructions (plenty of videos on youtube). From there you can start to customize. You can add extra d-rings, shoulder-pads, chest-straps and other things over time if you really want them and feel they benefit you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom