Looking for BP/w (Single and later Doubles)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Kitzy

Kitzy

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for BP/w as I want to switch over from Jacket

My kit is... Rather complicated (For what it is), I use a massive 41 ah 14.4 volt battery with has a canister light attached to it, alongside a voltage regulator that converts the 14.4 volt to 12 volt for my heating:
My kit is heavy, incredibly heavy... 52kg, with a 10l 300 bar (This is everything)

Part of the reason I want to eventually switch to doubles, in theory I should be able to get more air for minimal increase in weight (9.5kg as of current is lead, I dive dry)

As for what exactly I am looking for inside of a BP/w, something that could work with a single but also a double, something that would support such a large battery and the voltage regulator (Ideally being able to clip the battery on easily and being able to keep the voltage regulator on the BP/w).

My budget in theory is limitless, that being said I'm a sucker for value for money and much rather not spend 200 euro's for a 1% increase in comfort.

I am rather new to BP/w so my apologies if I left out vital information, always open to questions/suggestions and thanks in advance for such!

How are you doing it with a BCD?

You have pretty much the same options as bcd, and then a bunch more,

Hard to tell exactly what you are doing... but I would try to simplify all the wires.
Mount the voltage regulator on the battery canister. And clean that up. Make it so you can reach it with your RH on your waist belt.. just like DIR with a canister light.

If you are worried that you are to heavy. You can have a SS and aluminum plate, get a nice wing for your application now,,, probably want a 30lb lift,
Then if you go doubles and get a bigger wing,
You slap the small wing to the aluminum plate and go traveling, nice and light, simple. Etc.

If you are in the sport any length of time, gear has a way of accumulating at your place... and you will be selling gear, because you have 4 wings 5 extra backplates, :wink:
I have been looking at steel actually to try and shave down on lead, I have long since accepted I am never reaching that 25kg limit for travelling... Not ever, by a longshot, haha........ 😅

I'll just buy the extra weight or if the time ever comes wear my drysuit in the plane, just ask anyone who knows me... I'm crazy enough, i'll do it :p

Yeah that way of mounting seems the way a lot of people recommend it, I can start to envision it... Slowly but surely

Maybe a few photos will help. Here is one in a standard doubles tech configuration:
- primary air source on a longhose, wrapped around the torso and stored on the right chest d-ring
- secondary air source on a necklace, below the chin
- pressure gauge on left waist d-ring
- battery threaded onto the right side of the waistband
- can light stored on right chest d-ring
- also a few other things you didn't mention are present: knife sheath on waistband, 1 backup light on each d-ring, probably a DSMB on the butt d-ring, etc
View attachment 730489

Here's another view with can light both deployed. The end of the can light is on a "goodman handle," which allows you to mount it to the back of your left hand. Also pictured here is the diver deploying their longhose, so their backup reg is in their mouth:
View attachment 730490

There are more photos from different angles available here: Equipment Images

So for your config, the only questions would be:
- where to store the voltage regulator?
- where to store the FFM?
- where to store the FFM quick disconnect hose?

I don't use a can light or voltage regulator, so can't speak to that. But from @grantctobin's posts in this thread, it sounds like there is a convenient way to mount it on your right waist, near the battery can.

As for the FFM, I think you can probably find a place to mount the FFM pieces, perhaps the left shoulder d-ring? Or, if you don't need to clip off the longhose to your right chest d-ring, maybe that would work. I'm not really sure, it will depend on the needs of the FFM bips and bops.

This exact same configuration works for single-tank diving as well. The only changes would be 1 less tank and 1 less first stage reg (obviously), and a different wing. As for the question about which wing to buy: wings which are marketed as working in both configs are a lie. Just start with a wing that works for the diving you actually do: single-tank. When the time comes, you can purchase a second wing for diving doubles. Don't waste your money on a dual-use wing, they're a bad solution -- you'll just end up hating it and buying 3 wings instead of 2.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, the pictures helped me visualize it better.

Yeah it seems a lot of people are reaching the same consensus, with is great as that means it will most likely work just fine and it's most likely the way I am going to do it.

Xdeep Zen Deluxe​

That is the BP/w I have been looking at, any recommendations, feedback, etc ?

I plan on doing steel with mid sized lead pockets (6.5-7kg total, dive center said due to the size each pocket can fit 4kg and not just 3kg)

Currently using 9.5kg but the dive center said I outta be fine with 6.5-7kg due to the steel plate.

Most likely 1.5kg less where the battery is to offset it, unless people here say that really is not needed

NOTE: You can change my mind! I know some people think if someone has their eyes on something there's no point in it anymore, please! I am open to feedback, suggestions, etc, truly! 💜

I would get the Zen Standard instead of the Deluxe. All those extra clips and pads just get in the way. A properly set up standard harness is just as quick to get into and out of. You set it up so the shoulder straps are a little loose and you just slide your arms in one at a time. The crotch strap then makes everything snug when you tighten the waist belt.

The comfort while wearing out of the water comes primarily from the 50mm width of the straps. It's not a backpack with a 20mm strap that needs a cushion. You can always add the Xdeep cushions later if you decide you really need them.

I went through the same thought process when I switched from a conventional BCD to a BP/W and got a deluxe harness. Mine had a combo D-rings/chest strap buckle that dug into my chest. When I finally ditched it for a standard harness, I was surprised how easy it was to use and no need to fiddle with the shoulder strap adjustments on every dive.

The only other thing I can think of is that you might want to get a pair of their trim pockets. This will move 4kg off the waist belt onto one of the cam bands (usually the upper one) and let you use smaller waist pockets. The trim weights are non-ditchable (unless you take off the rig or get someone to take them out for you), but you should still have enough ditchable weight on your belt if you really need it. Ditching is a pretty unlikely need for someone in a drysuit anyway.

I would get the Zen Standard instead of the Deluxe. All those extra clips and pads just get in the way. A properly set up standard harness is just as quick to get into and out of. You set it up so the shoulder straps are a little loose and you just slide your arms in one at a time. The crotch strap then makes everything snug when you tighten the waist belt.

The comfort while wearing out of the water comes primarily from the 50mm width of the straps. It's not a backpack with a 20mm strap that needs a cushion. You can always add the Xdeep cushions later if you decide you really need them.

I went through the same thought process when I switched from a conventional BCD to a BP/W and got a deluxe harness. Mine had a combo D-rings/chest strap buckle that dug into my chest. When I finally ditched it for a standard harness, I was surprised how easy it was to use and no need to fiddle with the shoulder strap adjustments on every dive.

The only other thing I can think of is that you might want to get a pair of their trim pockets. This will move 4kg off the waist belt onto one of the cam bands (usually the upper one) and let you use smaller waist pockets. The trim weights are non-ditchable (unless you take off the rig or get someone to take them out for you), but you should still have enough ditchable weight on your belt if you really need it. Ditching is a pretty unlikely need for someone in a drysuit anyway.
The dive shop said it'd be easier for the exact reasons you said it isn't xD

Can you not move the d rings, cushions, etc ?

Can you not move the d rings, cushions, etc ?
To some degree, but I would want the shoulder D-rings higher than the rubberized strap/logo would appear to allow. The release buckle is also right in the middle of a great place for a light (typically held to the strap with an elastic band).

I wonder if you've used a light backpack for school, airplane carry-on, day hiking, or some such. Do you tighten & loosen the shoulder strap every time you use it, or do you just sling it on your shoulder(s) and go? I have no need for on-the-fly adjustable shoulder straps, and neither does this guy:

Standard harnesses are standard for a reason: they work well for most people.

Deluxe harnesses are deluxe for a reason: they cost more.

Don't worry too much about which harness you go with, because it is easy and reasonably cheap to switch to a different harness later if you change your mind. As long as you get a singles wing with sufficient lift for your needs today (typically 30 lbs or so), which harness/plate you go with is really not a big deal. With a standard harness, D-rings, pockets and the like can easily be moved around, added, removed, whatever you want. With most deluxe harnesses, this is basically true as well.

All that being said, I started with a deluxe harness, and ended up not liking it and swapped it out for a standard one, so I'd recommend starting with a standard one. Somebody else will probably comment that they had the exact opposite experience from me, and recommend a deluxe one. I guess that's just how internet advice goes :)

Back
Top Bottom