Looking for BP/w (Single and later Doubles)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Kitzy

Kitzy

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for BP/w as I want to switch over from Jacket

My kit is... Rather complicated (For what it is), I use a massive 41 ah 14.4 volt battery with has a canister light attached to it, alongside a voltage regulator that converts the 14.4 volt to 12 volt for my heating:
My kit is heavy, incredibly heavy... 52kg, with a 10l 300 bar (This is everything)

Part of the reason I want to eventually switch to doubles, in theory I should be able to get more air for minimal increase in weight (9.5kg as of current is lead, I dive dry)

As for what exactly I am looking for inside of a BP/w, something that could work with a single but also a double, something that would support such a large battery and the voltage regulator (Ideally being able to clip the battery on easily and being able to keep the voltage regulator on the BP/w).

My budget in theory is limitless, that being said I'm a sucker for value for money and much rather not spend 200 euro's for a 1% increase in comfort.

I am rather new to BP/w so my apologies if I left out vital information, always open to questions/suggestions and thanks in advance for such!

To some degree, but I would want the shoulder D-rings higher than the rubberized strap/logo would appear to allow. The release buckle is also right in the middle of a great place for a light (typically held to the strap with an elastic band).
To some degree, but I would want the shoulder D-rings higher than the rubberized strap/logo would appear to allow. The release buckle is also right in the middle of a great place for a light (typically held to the strap with an elastic band).
I wonder if you've used a light backpack for school, airplane carry-on, day hiking, or some such. Do you tighten & loosen the shoulder strap every time you use it, or do you just sling it on your shoulder(s) and go? I have no need for on-the-fly adjustable shoulder straps, and neither does this guy:
Easier for them because they don't have to help you get it adjusted correctly :)
Standard harnesses are standard for a reason: they work well for most people.

Deluxe harnesses are deluxe for a reason: they cost more.

Don't worry too much about which harness you go with, because it is easy and reasonably cheap to switch to a different harness later if you change your mind. As long as you get a singles wing with sufficient lift for your needs today (typically 30 lbs or so), which harness/plate you go with is really not a big deal. With a standard harness, D-rings, pockets and the like can easily be moved around, added, removed, whatever you want. With most deluxe harnesses, this is basically true as well.

All that being said, I started with a deluxe harness, and ended up not liking it and swapped it out for a standard one, so I'd recommend starting with a standard one. Somebody else will probably comment that they had the exact opposite experience from me, and recommend a deluxe one. I guess that's just how internet advice goes :)
In DIR they use to say your canister light is ditchable weight,,, don't know what they do now with lithum canister lights..
Ditch it and your maybe 2lb lighter??....
Thank you all for the tips/comments and the video, I myself am a huge idiot and knowing me it's going to take forever to get a BP/w adjusted correctly and god knows how many attempts and hurdles.

But by the sounds of it once I do it's going to be more friendly to me then the deluxe version, so that sounds better to me.

As for the canister light being a ditchable weight, well mine is a whopping 3kg and 1kg negatively buoyant, but if I would ditch a very expensive battery instead of my leadpockets with would be much cheaper and more effective... I think only if it's on fire 😅

I myself am a huge idiot and knowing me it's going to take forever to get a BP/w adjusted correctly and god knows how many attempts and hurdles.

It's not that bad to setup there are lots of good videos out there...

I think if you are new to setting it up, you're probably going to set it up to tight.

Err abit loose,

Mine fits nice in drysuit or 7mm wet..
If I dive in a shorty, its loose, but not terrible.. but I have a bungee chest stap that pulls from the d rings, and pulls the straps together... which tightens it back up.. I never adjust it,

It's not that bad to setup there are lots of good videos out there...

I think if you are new to setting it up, you're probably going to set it up to tight.

Err abit loose,

Mine fits nice in drysuit or 7mm wet..
If I dive in a shorty, its loose, but not terrible.. but I have a bungee chest stap that pulls from the d rings, and pulls the straps together... which tightens it back up.. I never adjust it,
Wish I had someone nearby that knew these things very well that could help me with it, dive with me, see how it is in the water, etc.

Sadly someone holding my hands as I flop like a oh so not graceful dead fish through the water is but a dream.

Oh well, enough trial and error i'll get there... Or drown, with ever comes first :D (Dark humor, isn't it the best)

Are you tall?
I am 6'2" with a long torso.... I have a longer plate then normal... brings my waist strap lower, it was always to high, and hard to reach the left hand d ring for the gauge.... longer plate makes a huge difference for me,
and it way easier to get into the shoulder harness...

Here's a pic

Attachments

• 20211018_091022.jpg
    20211018_091022.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 51
It's easy to adjust to get the right shoulder strap length, just feed some of the webbing through the waist slots on each side. The only potential pain-in-the-butt part is if you have to move a bunch of D-rings or accessories on the waist to create some slack.

So do the initial sizing with your cold water gear on. If you are doing this in the summer, maybe start in light clothes and set everything 2-3 cm oversize to get it close. but you are going to have to suit up at some point. It's helpful if you can turn an a/c to maximum in your room. Or maybe you know someone with a walk in refrigerator :)

Here's a couple of videos worth watching. The first one starts with a complete build. You can watch that if you want to see how it all goes together. Or you can skip ahead to 22:30 for the sizing section.

Most helpful about the D-rings placement

May be the best for strap lengths. Also uses an Xdeep plate. Only issue is he shot it in a mirror, so waist stuff is reversed.

Are you tall?
I am 6'2" with a long torso.... I have a longer plate then normal... brings my waist strap lower, it was always to high, and hard to reach the left hand d ring for the gauge.... longer plate makes a huge difference for me,
and it way easier to get into the shoulder harness...
Here's a pic
I'm 6'1

It's easy to adjust to get the right shoulder strap length, just feed some of the webbing through the waist slots on each side. The only potential pain-in-the-butt part is if you have to move a bunch of D-rings or accessories on the waist to create some slack.

So do the initial sizing with your cold water gear on. If you are doing this in the summer, maybe start in light clothes and set everything 2-3 cm oversize to get it close. but you are going to have to suit up at some point. It's helpful if you can turn an a/c to maximum in your room. Or maybe you know someone with a walk in refrigerator :)

Here's a couple of videos worth watching. The first one starts with a complete build. You can watch that if you want to see how it all goes together. Or you can skip ahead to 22:30 for the sizing section.

Most helpful about the D-rings placement

May be the best for strap lengths. Also uses an Xdeep plate. Only issue is he shot it in a mirror, so waist stuff is reversed.
Thanks, luckily I got ac

Xdeep sells two plate lengths which they label as Small and Large, but are really Small and Standard. Unless you have a longer than normal torso for your height (and thus shorter legs), the Xdeep Large should be long enough.

You are working with a Dutch dive shop on this? They will obviously be used to working with taller divers, so can probably tell by looking at you if the Large will work. But if you want to be sure, see if have they an Xdeep plate in the shop for you to try on. When you have the plate positioned so you can reach back and touch the top of it, the waist belt (kept parallel to the ground) should be a couple of cm below your belly button. It doesn't have to be exact, but if it ends up at the bottom of your ribcage, you should look for a true tall/long plate.

I don't know that 6'1 is tall enough to warrant it, but Scubaforce makes a long backplate. Unfortunately only in steel. BACKPLATES
Xdeep sells two plate lengths which they label as Small and Large, but are really Small and Standard. Unless you have a longer than normal torso for your height (and thus shorter legs), the Xdeep Large should be long enough.

You are working with a Dutch dive shop on this? They will obviously be used to working with taller divers, so can probably tell by looking at you if the Large will work. But if you want to be sure, see if have they an Xdeep plate in the shop for you to try on. When you have the plate positioned so you can reach back and touch the top of it, the waist belt (kept parallel to the ground) should be a couple of cm below your belly button. It doesn't have to be exact, but if it ends up at the bottom of your ribcage, you should look for a true tall/long plate.
Alrighty, thanks.

I imagine i'm fine, I got long lleeggiiiesss more so then torso.

Truly a man with a womans body xD

Always fun, often end up with sizes meant for people way less tall then me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom