Looking for advice; cutter instead of knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birddog1911

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My instructors (SDI, same for AOW as for OW) require TWO cutting devices. One knife and one of the line cutters. I read in Jim Lapenta's book on AOW (he's a regular poster here) about getting a cheap serrated knife from the dollar store, grinding off the tip so it's blunt, and putting it in a belt pouch. Would that work for you cost-wise?

Check out the Trilobite line cutter, it's cheaper, works well with gloves, and has a replaceable blade.

I carry the line cutter, shears, BFK, and sometimes a small knife as well. Each is located so a different part of my body/rig and have different but sometimes overlapping uses. I do dive solo a lot so I am not expecting help from a buddy.

You need to respect the restrictions abroad, but this should not restrict your kit at home.

Bob

I like the Trilobite too. I can't really see any reason for a knife, shears would be my back-up to the line cutter if I thought I needed one.

I prefer the Benchmade 7 to the 8. It's the same thing, just much shorter. One on the backside of my computer, the other on the backside of the wrist slate. The trilobites are the same basic size but have the razor blade. Pros and cons. Those plus a pair of trauma shears is all you really need.

I have proper dive knives, but don't really use them. Not particularly useful imho unless you want to gig flounder or pry stuff. They're also convenient for tucking long hoses underneath.
There are places for them which is why I have them, but for general use, it's one or two safety cutters and a set of shears

I'm not an instructor, but I always carry a short, cutoff steak knife, a Trilobite cutter and a pair of trauma shears. Use the appropriate tool for the appropriate situation. Not need to limit yourself.

cutoff steak knife + fiskars shears (http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Pruning-Shears/Stainless-steel-Pruner-7920)

IMO:
- with shears you can cut hole for instance in floating mesh without moving it with single hand and with other hand remove residue.

- with trilobite or some other cutting device same style , you need another hand to hold mesh and for sure you will move floating mesh
trilobite is ok for fast tearing something NOT around you ;-) ( for instance knot rope ( but fiskars would be faster in that case too )

I carry at least one knife (usually a small waist belt mounted one) and at least one line cutter. I say at least one line cutter since I keep trilobites on the straps of all my computers and I usually have two on me.

@lucca brassi they have the distinct disadvantage of being able to cut things that you don't want them to cut though. If I'm cutting line, I'll take a z-knife any day of the week. I have shears, they're very valuable, wouldn't dive in OW without them, but they aren't my default because they can cause a lot of unintended damage, particularly hoses....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom