Are wishbone keeper rings reusable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
first post here wanting to get back into diving after a 8 year hiatus.

1.Planning to replace speargun slings on the JBL mini magnum 41" track gun. The wishbone is attached w/ plastic rings are these rings/keeper reusable?

2.After viewing three dozen videos I concluded they aren’t reusable. is this true or false?

I can visualize the rubber being stretched enough for the ring to be slide over the wishbones nipple

3.is there a tool for grasping the wishbones ends rubber?

Maybe wrap to protect rubber then use vice gripes to hold the tube while stretching?

If I’m forced to lace the wishbones what do you Guy’s use for cord?

I realize kevalar cord is preferred but shippment won't arvire on time of next expedition can plastic tie wrap be used instead of cord? I still think string looks cheap/chessie.

when I first started using this weapon the black JBL slings where way to weak so I upgraded to the blue slings (unknown brand purchased at local dive shop in destin FL.) amazon doesn't rate there rubber. all colors are same strenght

4.what is the amazon rubber equivalent to the weak black JBL or closer to the stronger blue?
https://www.amazon.com/Spearit-SPEA...=B006IWF44G&psc=1&refRID=FEKH9TE412KQ9X3TZAPF

5. do rubber slings have manufactored dates.

6.if this amazon rubber is inferia please suggest a decent rubber.

Edit:I also need a new rubber on the shockcord. anyone here use mono as a shock cord? I’m stepping up from shooting flounder to extra large wahoo/cobia, was thinking of 30’ of 300LB.
actuelly I'd like a reel instead of the cord since stepping up my game.

edit2: the tip I have has two floppers here's another dryed up piece of rubber designed to push outward the floppers.

Thanks for any useable advice STB

Attachments

• spear gun slingP.jpg
    spear gun slingP.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 123
I second that. Dano is the man to see about spearguns.

@STB

1) I agree Dano @MAKO Spearguns is a great informnation source-- suggest that you contact him
2) Also contact Guy Skinner the president of JBL- he will take the time to chat
3) Your gun is no longer being produced by JBL- It is out dated
4) Toss the plastic rings- replace with metal or tie off with string
5) If your LDS is a long term JBL dealer they may have the JBL Handbook ( I was involved in the book) it is A very complete book on JBL guns, spear fishing and grinding and tying slings
6) Check used book market for the 1969 book Spear fishing; where and how by Bill Barada (LA Co UW instructor) It was published by Voit Rubber co who at that time were marketing the JBL gun

7) The JBL guns were developed and designed for 65 pounds of sling pull

If truly interested in up grading for bigger fish check Dano's guns or Jay Riffe's guns $$$
you will also need break a way or trail line and flotation-- and possibly new points.

sdm

Thanks for the positive recommendations!

If you desire, you should be able to buy replacement bands from an authorized JBL dealer. If you want to go another route - and learn how to make your own bands, the following info should be useful.

I am pretty sure that you have solid stainless steel wishbones which are V-shaped on that gun. You can re-use the wishbones if they are in good shape. The plastic rings might be old and I would probably avoid trying to re-use the rings.

With that particular gun, the wishbone MUST be solid steel rod, because the notch in the shaft is made with a more or less perpendicular cut. This results in sharp edges on the notches. If you tried to use any type of dynema braided line, these sharp edges of the notches would prematurely wear into and eventually cut the dynema.

If you used braided stainless steel cable wishbones, I would expect a similar (negative) result.

On our gun, we have phased out notches in the shafts because cutting into the shaft reduces the cross sectional area and results in unavoidable weakening of the shaft. For small fish, this effect may be inconsequential.

We use a welded "fin" that is added to the shaft, so there is no loss in cross sectional area and the elevated fin is rounded and smooth with the specific intention of allowing Dynema line.

We make custom bands for customers, however we don't sell the same solid and inexpensive v-shaped wishbones, for a variety of reasons. If you were willing to takes some time with a round file and possibly some polishing compound and carefully round out and smooth the notches on the JBL shaft, then you could use a corded (dynema) wishbone. However, I'm not sure you are interested in that.

What you might try, is to order some bulk latex band material (possibly from MAKO) and also a few feet of the band tieing line. You can re-construct bands using new latex and using your old solid wishbones and replace the plastic rings with cord - using a special constrictor knot. This will be entirely functional and reliable.

Here is a link to latex and cord:

https://www.makospearguns.com/Speargun-Bands-by-Primeline-p/mbr-bk.htm

https://www.makospearguns.com/Band-Tying-Line-p/mbtl.1.htm

This page shows you exactly how to tie a constrictor knot:

http://www.makospearguns.com/Band-Tying-Instructions-a/250.htm

This video should also help. Note it shows a flexible wishbone, you won't need the tool kit shown in the video for simply making hard wishbones.

Oh yeah we also sell replacement line bungi:

https://www.makospearguns.com/South-African-Super-Stretch-Shock-Cord-p/msssc.htm

MSSSC-2T.jpg

The OP asked about manufacture date for speargun bands. This information might also be helpful. MAKO uses the BEST latex material - Primeline.

Also, most spearguns are made by a manufacturer (including the bands) and then boxed up and sent to a retailer who displays the gun (hopefully not in sunlight) and evenually sells the gun. The bands on a newly purchased gun could easily be months old. Once a speargun band is constructed and the rubber is stretched over the wishbone bead, the ageing process is accelerated and it will generate cracking - exactly as you show in the picture - even if the band is not used.

All the bands we sell AND the ones used on our guns are HAND tied on the SAME DAY that the gun is ordered. This means that you get the absolute freshest bands possible. Latex bands are consumable and will wear out with use and age and will be negatively impacted by exposure to direct sunlight.

So, if you use a gun frequently it often makes sense to learn how to make your own bands, so you never ruin a dive from an old band snapping.

That's probably more info than you were looking for, but hopefully some of it will be useful.

Dive Safe!

dano

yes I use silicone in paste form to preserve rubber no wasted spray that doesn't contact rubber, do you rinse and clean off salt.

...Latex bands are consumable and will wear out with use and age...

I'll echo @MAKO Spearguns - Dano's excellent advice. New bands average $12 or about $25 for a set of 2 usually. Can self re-tie for half that. You spend so much more than just on the spearing dive, is it really worth missing that $100 - $200 fish shot because your bands are no longer consistently accurate? Going home with a nice cooler of fish is worth every penny you spent on gear & the total trip cost.

Just for reference, I dive almost every weekend and usually 3 tanks each day trip. I always tie new bands on my gun every 5-6 months (about 200 band stretches). Beyond that, the 'snap/punch' of the band is half what it is new and I lose alot of consistent accuracy on shot placement. Why should your seared grilled filet have a bloody hole in the middle of it? And every spearo knows,,,,,,,,Guns don't kill - Accuracy does !!

Is it true that putting the rubber bands in the refrigerator (or freezer, but I don't know for sure) during long periods of inactivity will prolong the life of the bands?

This is straight from the Primeline Website. It does not mention refrigeration, but I've hear of people keeping bands in the fridge.

We say that the shelf life of our tubing is “indefinite”. What we mean by that is that depending on the conditions of the storage area, the shelf life may vary. Heat, UV, and ozone are the most common sources for degradation of natural rubber. Those are what you want to protect the tubing from while in storage. If you store the tubing in a container out of light, normal room temperatures, and away from ozone generating devices such as motors and transformers, the tubing will last for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom