Looking for a recommendation regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I’m about to give freshwater a try which will be colder water temps. It’s been really hard to sort out having something you feel confident in purchasing to go into an overhead environment and not have a free flow event.
I dive cold most of the time but that is usually in the mid 50’s down to upper 40’s in the past, how cold are these fresh water dives expected to be?

I think that’s about what we are talking about 5-10C.
If I were to dive those temps regularly I would probably use it as an excuse to buy an Apeks.

How do you know this for fact? AFAIK, the USN cold water study was done MANY years ago without an update. Atomic has technical diving/cold water version of their regulators, the M1, and it works very well in cold water.

the tests aren't that old, nor are the Norsok equivalents. NEDU has tried them and had high motivation to make them work since at least at the time most of the parts were made in the US. They didn't pass. Is that test relevant to most divers? No, but it there are recreational regulators out there that do it better.

@Protondecay123 why would Poseidon be overkill?

Interesting. I’m about to give freshwater a try which will be colder water temps. It’s been really hard to sort out having something you feel confident in purchasing to go into an overhead environment and not have a free flow event.[/QUOTE]
We dive the Great Lakes and Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence as our "back yard". Water temp. below the thermoclines in the lakes is 3-6C depending on the time of year, St Lawrence is warm (20C+)in the summer, but have had 2C on the Conestoga shore dive in January, (not an ice dive) and seen -2C on the Bergeron Trader wreck at Les Escoumins in August! Our (my wife and I) regulators are all Poseidons… 5 Xstream Deep and 4 Cyclons..... No problems with those regs in these conditions so far. We've been diving here since 1983 so that should tell you something about good choices in these conditions...Yes we have dove them below 60m in these conditions too. Everyone has their favorite regulator as it is such a personal choice of what you are prepared to trust in the water but these ones have served us well.

I'm having a hard time finding fault with the M1 regulator. Sure I am sure there are more expensive, and more fancy. But they appear to check all the boxes and seem to have good reviews. Like anything there are plenty that get better reviews. I will looking at the Apeks XTX200 and they have zesty pricing on those babies.

I understand it is your life and you don't want to cheap out on something but the M1 looks like a good solid performer all around.

Back
Top Bottom