Looking for a recommendation regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reality is they aren't that different of products, other than material make up. The M1 gets a bigger heatsink on the 2nd stage for cold water, but all the atomic sealed first stages have the appropriate EN250 rating for <10c use. Are you planning on ever using >40% 02?

Well I have only been trained TDI and IANTD Nitrox, but if I really get back into this I would like to get trained Trimix and eventually rebreather, which doesn't make a difference for this conversation. If I did get trimix trained I know I would have to get a different reg anyway.

So that was a long answer to say no I will not be planning on using <40% O2

This is very deep and cold within technical diving range, you should be looking at the Atomic M1 regulator.
I don’t know if I’m right or wrong in saying this and I don’t mean to sound insulting, but are atomic regulators actually any good?

They’re bloody expensive and I’ve never heard or seen any “serious” ( I use the word serious here for lack of a better word) divers using atomic regs. To me, personally, they look quite expensive and delicate and not many places in EU service them. It’s like Halcyon price but not with the quality.

Tell me if I’m right or wrong, please, this is just my personal impression.

I don’t know if I’m right or wrong in saying this and I don’t mean to sound insulting, but are atomic regulators actually any good?

They’re bloody expensive and I’ve never heard or seen any “serious” ( I use the word serious here for lack of a better word) divers using atomic regs. To me, personally, they look quite expensive and delicate and not many places in EU service them. It’s like Halcyon price but not with the quality.

Tell me if I’m right or wrong, please, this is just my personal impression.
If I were serious I would still be using Atomic.

The reality is they aren't that different of products, other than material make up. The M1 gets a bigger heatsink on the 2nd stage for cold water, but all the atomic sealed first stages have the appropriate EN250 rating for <10c use. Are you planning on ever using >40% 02?
M1 also has Monel piston and swivel retainer for higher O2 rating and the air barrel in the second is zirconium rather than titanium and a different purge cover.

M1 also has Monel piston and swivel retainer for higher O2 rating and the air barrel in the second is zirconium rather than titanium and a different purge cover.
Yup, basically it's material make up(for dealing with higher o2 concentrations), heat sink(which replaces the swivel), purge cover, exhaust port, and standard environmental sealing.

@EireDiver606 valid or not, the current world record cave dive was done with Atomics-granted it was backup regs since they were on CCR, but still.

My issue with Atomic is the current customer service situation in the US. More importantly for @drdfblackm a huge component of keeping cold regs from freezing is technique with the regulators. If you aren't doing those dives all the time, you'll want a regulator better suited to cold water. The Atomics will not pass the cold water tests for the USN or the offshore divers. Others will. I would look at those regulators and the ones that are based on those, especially with better recent history of customer service before I'd look at Atomic.

@BurhanMuntasser this is legit nothing against Atomic as a regulator, but Huish has been sh!tting the bed on customer service in the US recently....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom