Looking for a recommendation regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know if I’m right or wrong in saying this and I don’t mean to sound insulting, but are atomic regulators actually any good?

They’re bloody expensive and I’ve never heard or seen any “serious” ( I use the word serious here for lack of a better word) divers using atomic regs. To me, personally, they look quite expensive and delicate and not many places in EU service them. It’s like Halcyon price but not with the quality.

Tell me if I’m right or wrong, please, this is just my personal impression.
Well I would say I had a T1 right when they came out....it was my ex-wifes regulator....she liked it because it was incredibly light and worked well for her. I used it on occasion and I thought it was just fine. Now remember this was back in 2000. Times have changed. I mean as I said before I was using a Mares Ruby....everyone bashed the crap out of those but I loved mine, never failed, and I dove deep and cold with it and never had a problem. So I may not be the best person to answer. But I know many people that dive with the Atomic B2 for just regular diving and they have 0 problems. But I am sure it is like anything....good and bad experiences. I mean I am sure you can go get a basic Oceanic or Mares reg and it will be fine. Hell you could go buy some rental equipment and rebuild it and it would be just as good as new.

So is the Atomic the best on earth....probably not, but I am sure you can find plenty of people to bash OMS or any other regulator for that matter....it's the internet someone always has something to say.

I have always used Dive Rite products as well, but never their regulators but would like to hear some opinions but none as of yet. Also....how about Zeagle regulators...how are they?

Or better yet...how about a recommendation based on what I might be using it for.

the newer zeagles have started borrowing design enhancements from atomic as huish owns both brands. a well tuned balanced reg from any of the major brands will work for the vast majority of diving.

I don’t know if I’m right or wrong in saying this and I don’t mean to sound insulting, but are atomic regulators actually any good?

You are very wrong.

They’re bloody expensive and I’ve never heard or seen any “serious” ( I use the word serious here for lack of a better word) divers using atomic regs. To me, personally, they look quite expensive and delicate and not many places in EU service them. It’s like Halcyon price but not with the quality.

Tell me if I’m right or wrong, please, this is just my personal impression.

You are wrong again with EVERYTHING you are stating.

You don't know anything about what you are talking about or the assumptions you are making.

The Atomics will not pass the cold water tests for the USN or the offshore divers.

How do you know this for fact? AFAIK, the USN cold water study was done MANY years ago without an update. Atomic has technical diving/cold water version of their regulators, the M1, and it works very well in cold water.

I think there is clearly a lack of good data regarding regulator performance particularly regarding cold water performance. If you look up the current US Navy Approved Equipement for purchase they only authorize two commercial regulators for cold water Marrs Navy Abyss II and the Poseidon Xstream Deep. The Xstream Deep was the only regulator to NOT freeflow during the Antarctic test. For General Purpose Aqualung Conshelf. I’ve seen claims for good. Cold water performance particularly from Apeks MTX-R and Scubapro MK 17. However the MK 17 was terminated early in US Navy testing as was Atomic M1. Apeks states that the MTX-R is made “ in accordance “ in US Navy cold water testing but the highly regarded XTX-50 was not advanced in the test due to high free flow rate. I think if you are diving in water above 15 C or maybe even as low as 10 that pretty much anything will work. But going deep and cold may be a different story. NEDU does from time to evaluate commercial regulators. You can google search them. Sometimes they will have articles in Faceplate.

Attachments

• 6D7024A8-4BE7-4AC3-967F-768B7A54D30F.png
    6D7024A8-4BE7-4AC3-967F-768B7A54D30F.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 111
  • AFE09D3B-DA8C-4791-B75A-D65AC8A1A744.jpeg
    AFE09D3B-DA8C-4791-B75A-D65AC8A1A744.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 107
If I were inclined to dive in water that cold, I would get a posiden otherwise Atomic is all I dive and I’m pretty happy with my titanium Atomics for the total ease of maintenance, the brass and chrome Z or M take a few more minutes to rinse but I seal all of mine, I rarely dive anything but salt.

Huish has slowed the parts supply but since they seem to be incorporating Atomic features into other family brands it may just be a temporary situation. So far any part I needed has been delivered but it’s taken longer for the supplier to restock.

Atomic has a very simple internal design based on the Scubapro MK 20 first stage and the seconds are pretty much a G250/S600 design with some nice features like the seat saver and the atomic flow control and universal parts interchangeability so I can put the long M1 exhaust on any other Atomic second.

I ditch the “comfort swivel” hoses, not because the don’t work well because they do, but I don’t like the hose lengths. I use Omni swivels for short hoses.

You are very wrong.

You are wrong again with EVERYTHING you are stating.

You don't know anything about what you are talking about or the assumptions you are making.
I’m not stating my assumptions are true so don’t get aggressive. I was asking if they’re true.
It was a question, not a statement.
You should learn to not be so sensitive about regulator brands (?) (lol).

I’m not stating my assumptions are true so don’t get aggressive. I was asking if they’re true.
It was a question, not a statement.
You should learn to not be so sensitive about regulator brands (?) (lol).

You made "statements" and "assumptions" per your post and then asked if you were correct in these "assumptions" and "statements" and I gave you a direct answer, you were very wrong.

How do you know this for fact? AFAIK, the USN cold water study was done MANY years ago without an update. Atomic has technical diving/cold water version of their regulators, the M1, and it works very well in cold water.
The date on the NEDU test/ approved regulator list in Protondecay 123's post is 6/5/2018..... current info not MANY years ago.

If I were inclined to dive in water that cold, I would get a posiden otherwise Atomic is all I dive and I’m pretty happy with my titanium Atomics for the total ease of maintenance, the brass and chrome Z or M take a few more minutes to rinse but I seal all of mine, I rarely dive anything but salt.

Huish has slowed the parts supply but since they seem to be incorporating Atomic features into other family brands it may just be a temporary situation. So far any part I needed has been delivered but it’s taken longer for the supplier to restock.

Atomic has a very simple internal design based on the Scubapro MK 20 first stage and the seconds are pretty much a G250/S600 design with some nice features like the seat saver and the atomic flow control and universal parts interchangeability so I can put the long M1 exhaust on any other Atomic second.

I ditch the “comfort swivel” hoses, not because the don’t work well because they do, but I don’t like the hose lengths. I use Omni swivels for short hoses.
Interesting. I’m about to give freshwater a try which will be colder water temps. It’s been really hard to sort out having something you feel confident in purchasing to go into an overhead environment and not have a free flow event.

Back
Top Bottom