Looking for a buddy for Capilano river diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sounds like a plan!

I went freediving in there before.

things you should know are:
1: there is alot of old junk rusty metal and line in there bring at lest one knife if not two!!
2: when you are coming up try to stick to the side as kayakers are not looking for divers :p

thats all I have. post up here when you want to go :)

Where do the kayaks put in?

Drift dive???

I'll join in as well. Where would we meet?

Can someone visit Rabbit Lane and check if it's possible to park a car or two somewhere near this point and how's easy will be access to the river from that point? Sorry, I cannot do that these days...

Looking at Google Street View I don't see any parking around... However, this is the closest point to the river's pool - just need go straight to the east, until the river is reached. Last time in March, we've started hiking below the highway and walked over there for approx. 40-50 mins. It should be a much shorter path from Rabbit Lane.

Do you know if we can approach the site from the other side of the river? It looks like there are many trails on the other side. If we could, we could drop the equipment by the Capilano Park Rd side and go park at the Salmon Hatchery about 500 yds further on the road. (see attachment)

I live in Langley and it would a good drive away for me to go check it out.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 81
Do you know if we can approach the site from the other side of the river? It looks like there are many trails on the other side. If we could, we could drop the equipment by the Capilano Park Rd side and go park at the Salmon Hatchery about 500 yds further on the road. (see attachment)

I live in Langley and it would a good drive away for me to go check it out.

That's possible too I guess... The pool itself is surrounded by vertical walls, but we can approach the water, just a bit downstream... Anyway we'll have to go through the rainforest - there no real trails to water at all..

Where do the kayaks put in? Drift dive???
Don't know about kayaking there, but I know you can easily get to the river from the hatchery. What if we were to use these as aquatic wheelbarrows for carrying equipment:
0798247_1
Canadian Tire has them for $13.

We could then easily go into the river from the hatchery parking lot and float/wade downstream to the site. Hopefully the current will not be that strong on the way out.

I've never been to that river but now I'm getting interested. I don't have a raft though I do have a big inner tube but anyways, isn't that what BC's are for? I also have a dive flag/float thingy that we can set to keep the powerboats away :D
Does anyone want to set a date. The 19/20 of June would work for me but not the 26th.

isn't that what BC's are for?

heh, but the river sometimes 43 ft deep, but sometimes less than 1ft...

If use BCD's - I offer start right from the dam and drift/walk right to the place
Someone on shores will win a prise for a weirdest photo ever ...:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

isn't that what BC's are for?
I was thinking the raft would help if at any point the water depth got down to just a few feet. It would be easier to just toss in your fins and walk pulling the "wheelbarrow". You wouldn't have to worry about dragging over rocks the heavy-below-the-waterline part of your inflated rig.

For example, I know that depending on tides or river levels, when you canoe/kayak up Widgeon Creek (Pitt Lake), there can be places so shallow that you have to get out and pull it until you find deeper water. It's one reason why I usually canoe around in my wetsuit boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom