Looking 4 Ice Divrs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Thanks for your update. It looks like we won't have any ice in hoosier land this year.

We look forward to hearing any good report.

BTW, where is an exact loaction?

Sister Lakes is right at the Cass, VanBuren, and Berrien county borders in MI. If you look between M140 and M51 just south of Keeler and north of M62, you will find about half a dozen lakes. Most have public access. Another pointe of refrence is 5 miles north and 5 miles west of Dowagiac.

I checked the ice today and we have 3" of what appears in the sample as solid ice under 1.5" of show. There is some open water near the shore at the fire lane on the far east end. Chances are good that there will be a hole cut and divers in the water on Sunday afternoon! If anyone plans to come, please post and let me know if you need directions. GPS # are N42*04'20.2" W086*08'46.3 Intersection of Gilmore & Lake Shore Drive in Keeler Twp, Vanburen County, MI

Well the plan for Sunday, Jan 28 is not working out so we will reschedule for the 2nd or the 3rd. Anyone interested?

So ... are you guys going to be able to get in any local ice diving? It's gotten mighty cold. Anyone hear if any of the local quarries are freezing over? With my new drysuit I hope to take an ice diving course next winter. Too new to drysuit diving for any this winter.

Divin'Hoosier:
So ... are you guys going to be able to get in any local ice diving? It's gotten mighty cold. Anyone hear if any of the local quarries are freezing over? With my new drysuit I hope to take an ice diving course next winter. Too new to drysuit diving for any this winter.

I have been thinking about Betail's plan. I was supposed to go wth my GF, but it won't be happened with her.. Would you go there with me?

hoosier:
I have been thinking about Betail's plan. I was supposed to go wth my GF, but it won't be happened with her.. Would you go there with me?

What dates are they shooting for now? It looks like the 2nd or 3rd. That's this Fri or Sat. Unfortunately I can't go Fri due to work and my wife and I already have plans for Sat. :( If they move it out to either Sat 2/10 or Sat 2/17 I might be up for a road trip to play surface support.

We are thinking about this Saturday since there is a football game or something on Sunday that a bunch of people around here are excited about:wink: If the ice holds up, we probably will hit it again the following weekend. (except those who go to our world) Different location but same general area. If you do come up, bring your gear! We have found that just suiting up and getting in the hole with a dry suit on is a learning experience that makes the first ice dive easier. In fact, for most first timers, all we have them do on the first dive is stay within 10 feet of the hole, practice buoyancy control and check out all of the gear in and ice situation.

Divin'Hoosier:
What dates are they shooting for now? It looks like the 2nd or 3rd. That's this Fri or Sat. Unfortunately I can't go Fri due to work and my wife and I already have plans for Sat. :( If they move it out to either Sat 2/10 or Sat 2/17 I might be up for a road trip to play surface support.

Jim (Betail) is suggesting this coming Friday or Saturday, but I don't think it is feasible unless I drive up there by myself (huh~~~nut and crazy psycho thing agian.)

Next weekend is also good for me, but I am wondering if Jim (Betail) will be on the scuba show in Chicago on that week.

I will be in Seattle on Feb. 17..... So, I am totally out....:huh:

Betail:
We are thinking about this Saturday since there is a football game or something on Sunday that a bunch of people around here are excited about:wink: If the ice holds up, we probably will hit it again the following weekend. Different location but same general area. If you do come up, bring your gear! We have found that just suiting up and getting in the hole with a dry suit is a learning experience that makes the first ice dive easier. In fact, for most first timers, all we have them do on the first dive is stay within 10 feet of the hole.

Oops~~ You are quicker....

Yes, this Sunday is no way to Hoosier (will be Indiana state history day).

You're right. I am not sure how long ice holds up.... Thinking Thinking Thinking....

Our club has been talking about it but last weekend didn't work out. If there is interest I will cut a hole and try to round up a couple of tenders and safety divers. What we like to do is 2 in and 1 or 2 standing by.

Based on a weather forecast, this coming two weekends are last chance to do an ice diving. After February 7, air temperature will be up above 40 degree, so this winter is almost over after then in Hoosier land.

So, anyone would like to take this chance from Hoosier land?

There is no guarantee that we will have an ice next year, specially after having a recent global warming issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom