Looking 4 Ice Divrs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Based on a weather forecast, this coming two weekends are last chance to do an ice diving. After February 7, air temperature will be up above 40 degree, so this winter is almost over after then in Hoosier land.

So, anyone would like to take this chance from Hoosier land?

There is no guarantee that we will have an ice next year, specially after having a recent global warming issue.

Hoos' .... I just checked the NWS forecast and the high on Feb. 7 is supposed to be 14 with a low of 5! Between now and the furthest out they forecast, it isn't supposed to get above freezing and on Sunday (once the Colts win the Super Bowl) it's supposed to get downright fridged with lows in the low single digits and highs in the low teens. :11:

I don't think the ice is going to leave too quickly!

I am not sure if we are on the same page..

The following picture shows a Feb. forecast on Waldron, Indiana (Blue Springs) from www.weather.com

Waldron_Weather_on_Feb.jpg

Notice how cold it is through 2/7. After than you're not really looking at a forecast, you're looking at the normal temps for that date historically. They just can't forecast (accurately) that far out, so they typically just show the average high and low for that date. Now, most likely it won't stay this cold. But it also may not necessarily warm up as quickly as it shows.

Divin'Hoosier:
Notice how cold it is through 2/7. After than you're not really looking at a forecast, you're looking at the normal temps for that date historically. They just can't forecast (accurately) that far out, so they typically just show the average high and low for that date. Now, most likely it won't stay this cold. But it also may not necessarily warm up as quickly as it shows.

Oh~~~ You're right... But, 2/8~2/9 also shows an increasing pattern on the temp. Those aren't an average one based on the previous history..

Indiana weather is so fickle.... So, Who knows! We will have a couple of a darn cold weather, but it won't change any ice diving condition. No ice in Hoosier land this year...

hoosier:
Oh~~~ You're right... But, 2/8~2/9 also shows an increasing pattern on the temp. Those aren't an average one based on the previous history..

Indiana weather is so fickle.... So, Who knows! We will have a couple of a darn cold weather, but it won't change any ice diving condition. No ice in Hoosier land this year...

Bottom line is that I think you're correct. Small ponds appear to be iced up, but the quarries are just now starting to form ice. I just drop by Just Add Water Boats and their quarry is barely starting to show ice formation. It'll take quite a bit longer, probably too long, to form ice thick enough for ice diving. Too many days of above normal temps during Dec and early Jan.

The "Blizzard Warning" :ice: that was Issued for Berrien and Cass counties today put our dive on hold. Next week is Our World Underwater so we will be looking at the the 17th as our next possible date to get under the ice. (weather permitting) Keep checking and I will keep the ice reports coming!:frosty:

Well guys who is willing to show? Got a couple divers wanting to do a ice dive at Blue Springs and nobody is game.

I can help out on the surface. Never been/witnessed ice diving before. Would love to hang out and learn a thing or two.

Oh~~well....

I have waited for an ice diving many weeks in Hoosier land. If you are planning to do it this weekend, you guys are so mean...:no I am supposed to be out of town this weekend.:huh:

Anyway, dive safe all and bring a lot of warm water. In addition, don't forget a large rubber mat or something like a rice straw for the entry area. It helped a lot..... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom