Long weekend plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm spending Friday and Saturday in Monterey with my family, but no diving. :frown: If I get time I may walk around Breakwater a bit to see if I notice anyone I know. Probably early afternoon. Kristina, I expect you will be gone by then, but I'll look for your car just in case. I hope you all have great diving.

I'm heading down on sat to breakwater. Maybe I'll see some of the gang down there.

Assuming my alarm clock and I agree (that's a big assumption) I'll be at Breakwater for a dive at dawn, followed by two more dives starting at 8:30. We'll be at least starting out on the Metridium side. Definitely stop by and say hi if you're around!

I don't know what Doc's availability is during the week though, I think he has a job or two, but since I found out I don't have to take these three days off at the end of December, well, that just means the potential is there for me to be able to do it. We'll have to try and find itchy and scratchy ourselves, though, should we end up at Lobos again.

Hi,

This is so cool, you're nearing your 100th dive. I can definitely be available a weekend morning for that 100th dive!

Looking forward to it!

Thanks Doc! We may have to let Kathy finish her schoolwork first, we'll work it out.
I just finished 85 today, not really in style. I'll be getting sand out of my gear for the next hour or so.
I did make it to the barge on my first dive. That was such a neat experience.
Guy Alcala: I checked that screw you were talking about, it's seated just fine, it's up about an inch. but when I tried to tighten it down I could not. It's not going anywhere.
Many thanks to Kenn for his video so that I was able to know what to expect. I made it back with 1300 psi :) (in an HP100)
We had a considerable surface swim though, I was grateful the boat traffic was pretty much non-existent. We found the line easily going out, I was expecting to see the barge at the end of the line but we couldn't. I took a guess and veered left and found it. We could not, however, find the line on the way back (thus the extreme surface swim).
The second dive was more like a drift dive at the kelp beds/patch reef. I hear there was a small craft advisory starting at 10 am and lasting till 4 am tomorrow. I kinda knew I was going to have a rough second dive when I broke a nail helping another guy get his fins off, I felt the nail poking me in my glove so removed my glove and was bleeding a bit. Then dive buddy says, "you know, great whites can smell a drop of blood in the water for miles" (this is as we are kicking out for dive 2). I asked him if he was worried about it (he's bigger and slower than me) and he said no so we kept going. That dive I probably could have not done. No sharks though, I think that blood thing is all a myth.

Thanks Doc! We may have to let Kathy finish her schoolwork first, we'll work it out.
I just finished 85 today, not really in style. I'll be getting sand out of my gear for the next hour or so.
I did make it to the barge on my first dive. That was such a neat experience.
Guy Alcala: I checked that screw you were talking about, it's seated just fine, it's up about an inch. but when I tried to tighten it down I could not. It's not going anywhere.
Many thanks to Kenn for his video so that I was able to know what to expect. I made it back with 1300 psi :) (in an HP100)
We had a considerable surface swim though, I was grateful the boat traffic was pretty much non-existent. We found the line easily going out, I was expecting to see the barge at the end of the line but we couldn't. I took a guess and veered left and found it. We could not, however, find the line on the way back (thus the extreme surface swim).
The second dive was more like a drift dive at the kelp beds/patch reef. I hear there was a small craft advisory starting at 10 am and lasting till 4 am tomorrow. I kinda knew I was going to have a rough second dive when I broke a nail helping another guy get his fins off, I felt the nail poking me in my glove so removed my glove and was bleeding a bit. Then dive buddy says, "you know, great whites can smell a drop of blood in the water for miles" (this is as we are kicking out for dive 2). I asked him if he was worried about it (he's bigger and slower than me) and he said no so we kept going. That dive I probably could have not done. No sharks though, I think that blood thing is all a myth.

Wow,

Bleeding at the Break Wall with all those Sea lions, were they still there or had they gone? You are a brave diver and you went out to the Barge and came back with all that gas, I'm impressed. :)

I think if the shark would have arrived your pink mask would've scared him, male sharks are very masculine... :D

All in all, congrats on getting close to that 100th mark... It's recognition when they are in Monterey...

MG

Thanks Mike, that's sweet. I would have come back with less gas if we were able to find the line to come back in. Instead buddy was a bit low on air so I thought we should go shallower so his air lasted longer then we found ourselves swimming mid-water with no reference point, we're finning but it doesn't feel like we're going anywhere, we had to surface, I felt uncomfortable being mid-water with no visual reference at all to confirm I was moving in that current. Thus the long surface swim.
Come to think of it, the sea lions were barking on our way out but not on the way in...odd.

Wow, looks like you're piling up some good dive experiences making you a better and better diver!!

I'm not sure I'd be willing to swim out to the Barge anymore, these scooters are really bad, they spoil you and make you think fins and kicking are for backup propulsion only. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom