Long weekend plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Met fobturbo, andrewy and sgrunert at BW. Wasn't divable, we all went to check out Lover's, there were surfers there, we came back to look at MacAbee, nuh-uh, went back to BW to see if we could do the south entry, no, waves up the ramp/stairs there too. Went by Del Monte, nope, went back to BW to have breakfast at the deli. Took another look at wave action before deciding it's not a good day to dive. There were 2 divers out, I think fobturbo may have stayed to see how they exited (if they exited OK), but I came home and returned my tanks and now I'll take a nap. Hope for better next weekend.
I did swing by Del Monte one more time by myself on my way out and there were surfers there too.

Good call, and thanks very much for the update Kristina! I was supposed to head out today, but my buddy called in sick, which IMO was as good a day as any to miss a dive. I may be dry until the end of December, which is just killing me.

Aren't you coming to the M&G next Saturday?

I always have diving commitments set for the first Saturday of every month, so I can't make it. As it turns out, I won't even be diving next weekend, as something else as come up. The entire team's diving schedule has been entirely sporadic since September, and we're still trying to get back into the groove.

I'll be thinking of you guys though, hope the storm passes over and you have some fantastic conditions for the M&G!

Pacificgal,

I drove out to Point Pinos after we called off the dive and then stopped by BW on my way out of town. Those two divers were just emerging from the water. They reported visibility at barely a couple of feet. It was a good day to skip diving. Hope we can dive some other time.

After hanging out at the MB Aquarium, I went back over to BW, and conditions were definitely better. Entry/exit still wasn't going to be trivial, but the water was stopping way short of the stairs. I saw one diver exiting the water walking backwards (fins still on).

I asked the divers how the conditions were underneath, and they said that visibility was ~3' around middle reef. Surge was absent at depth.

It was a good day to go to the aquarium.

Steve, you've got my number. Let me know when you want to try again.

That's exactly what I did, Guy, I knew the wall was 180 and the beach was 210-240 so I set a course halfway inbetween. But swimming mid water column, in current, we weren't sure we were actually getting anywhere. Probably should've descended back down and kept going till he had his rock bottom psi but I wanted to ensure we had plenty of air if we encountered any problems, like we had when we exited the second dive. I'm always learning things I could've done better, but was very pleased I was able to find the barge the first time I tried. That was my + for the day, the - for the day I'm still dealing with, trying to get the sand out of my integrated weight system latches from dive 2.

BTW, Kristina, let me congratulate you for making it out there. I wish more people would make the swim, but unfortunately far too many are physically incapable (or think they are) or lack the nav. skills, and they don't try it. It's really not all that hard as long as you're not hoovering gas, and know one end of a compass from the other.

Going and coming, I tend to swim at least 5 feet above the bottom, often more if the vis allows. This saves gas while allowing me to use a flutter kick and not stir up the bottom while maintaining visual contact with it so I can monitor progress; as you discovered that can be difficult when you're so far up you can't see the bottom. When you're close to the bottom it's also easy to stop and check the depth, which is another way to determine roughly where you are (this assumes you're carrying a map with depth contours on it, or else have done the dive enough times that you know about where they are).

One minor clarification for any who might want to do the swim back in: From any point on the barge, swimming a (magnetic) course between 160 and 235 inclusive will get you to some point along the Breakwaterl; Swimming any course between 240 and 255 inclusive will get you to the beach (240 brings you out by the corner stairs, 255 by the pumphouse); and any course between 260 and 285 inclusive will (eventually) get you somewhere along the Big Pipe. I generally prefer a course that gets me back near the wall at or west of the '13' mark rather than swim the direct route towards the beach, as that makes it easier to surface and yell for help to someone along the breakwater if assistance is needed. If I just want the nav. practice I'll go direct, but until you get inside 40 feet or so you don't see much except sand.

Guy

<snip>

That was my + for the day, the - for the day I'm still dealing with, trying to get the sand out of my integrated weight system latches from dive 2.

The worst sand problem I've had was at Monastery, after getting rolled a bit while doing a crawling exit. It took me five minutes (amid much pounding and cursing) to get enough Monastery sand out of the side-release fastex buckles on my strap-on thigh pocket so that I could get out of my harness. I've got to say that the metal buckle of my hog harness doesn't seem to have any problems, but the female half of fastex buckles gets so packed with Monastery sand that you can't squeeze the prongs on the male half and release them.

I was still discovering residual sand from that dive in various parts of my gear several dives later, regs, trim weight pockets, gloves etc. At least I don't have to worry about that thigh pocket anymore, as I got a permanently attached one installed Friday. Too bad I didn't get to try it out this weekend. After hanging out all day in Monterey/Pacific Grove, I listened to the Sunday forecast and decided it was unlikely to improve enough to make spending another night in my car worthwhile, so headed home Saturday about 3:30. Looks like I made the right call, for a change.

Guy

Thanks for the compliment, Guy, I'll happily take that.
And you don't have to convince me about Monastery sand, thinking about trying to crawl out of the surf while gripping that stuff still freaks me out. If I ever do Monastery again I'll have to be able to walk in and walk out.
I was able to bang my pockets on the cement to get most of the sand out, and was only a little bummed that my gear had actually dried completely before coming to Monterey again this morning. I guess it'll be really dry for the M&G next weekend.

I was at San Carlos Beach Saturday morning to play in the sand with my son. It was a bit cold, a bit breezy, and there were no divers to be seen. At least, no one with dive gear out. These photos might give you sense of what the surf was like.

Back
Top Bottom