Long term effects of compression/lots of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The study was not conclusive but they were talking about all divers using nitrox not just those with preexisting conditions.

The mainstream theory is free radicals promote disease and aging, excessive oxygen should result in excessive free radicals and therefore it should be bad for you. The newer thought, based in part on empirical observation that feeding athletes anti-oxidants didn't make them perform any better, is that periodic exposure to high level of free radicals should trigger defensive response and make you more resilient to ill effects of those pesky free radicals. Which should be good for you. In summary, they have no idea.

I dive a lot ... more than 3700 dives in the 15 years I've been diving. I started when I was 49 years old ... I'm currently 64.

Long-term effects include chronic spending, lack of garage space, a complete lack of non-diving social life, and the voices inside my head have been replaced by a constant ring tone.

Other than that, I'm fine ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

While a commercial diver may dive every day, so could a dive instructor. The professional could make shallow dives 5x a week (or saturation dives but that's different matter) while an avid hobbyist could do mandatory decompression dives twice a week. It's not the label but the amount, length and depth of dives that matters.

NWGratefulDiver: With that amount of diving you'll be dead before you turn 128!

It's not the number of dives that make a difference it is the number of hours spent underwater. While doing bridge reconstruction jobs I would only make two dives a day but both were 31/2-4 hours long. I would be underwater over 1000 hours a year while doing bridge jobs. Instructors spend most of their time on e surface talking except for the checkout dives at the end of the course.

Last edited:
Predictive factors of dysbaric osteonecrosis following musculoskeletal decompression sickness in recreational SCUBA divers. - PubMed - NCBI

There is a brined new study on recreational divers and DON. It is so new that the PubMed website is still constructing the abstract. So I don'T know what the study states.

SeaRat
In the full-text version it has a table with lots of data and says this:
"In summary, the risk of early development of DON after musculoskeletal DCS is not negligible."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom