Long term effects of compression/lots of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3::rofl3: ^^^

In all fairness, I'm quite sure I'd find other toys to spend money on and so financial strain wouldn't be any lighter without diving.

Take care when looking at studies for the deep commercial divers. There is a world of difference from saturation diving for a week at a time and recreational diving - even instructors who do 20+ dives a week.

The financial strain seems to be the worst.

Most people who I know who were career dive instructors into their 50s did not have children. I kind of assume that it was financial rather than physiological. That, plus you are usually too tired to do anything else after a long day of diving and lugging tanks.

In all fairness, I'm quite sure I'd find other toys to spend money on and so financial strain wouldn't be any lighter without diving.
Try airplanes/helicopters/anything that flies. More costly, but same level of tranquility.

Bone necrosis is limited to commercial divers and seems to have more of an effect on the long bones. Sport divers should be far more concerned with prolonged Nitrox use. One study suggests there might be long term effects on your lungs.

Bone necrosis is limited to commercial divers and seems to have more of an effect on the long bones. .

I thought there was a study that showed this is a significant issue for very frequent recreational divers? (i.e. especially active instructors). I can't remember where I read that though....

Bone necrosis is limited to commercial divers and seems to have more of an effect on the long bones. Sport divers should be far more concerned with prolonged Nitrox use. One study suggests there might be long term effects on your lungs.

I expect there just isn't enough subjects breathing high-O2 mixes for long enough time to run any meaningful statistics. One of the hypotheses is adding extra oxygen to existing irritation sites (from smoking, allergies, etc.) promotes things like emphysema and abnormal cell growth -- but you need a "seed" site to start with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom