Bonaire - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew P

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Forum
I am considering going to Bonaire this September for a week with my wife - who doesn't dive - so the main emphasis will be cycling and snorkelling (although I'll sneak in a few guided dives).

However, the SCTLD situation is very worrying. In terms our holiday enjoyment, I am concerned that the changing nature of the situation will mean more snorkelling / diving sites may be closed (I have checked the STINABonaire and InfoBonaire web sites so know the current situation), the quality of the snorkelling / diving will be much reduced in many sites and the mandatory precautions and guidelines (necessary I know) will be bit of pain and detract from the holiday - which I was hoping would be carefree, wonderful snorkelling around the island.

I'd probably avoid the infected sites and site of concern - so it doesnt seem to leave much!

I know there are a few threads on here regarding Bonaire but though would ask directly - is it worth going? We are flyng from the UK so its a long expensive haul. any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks Andrew

Hello Forum
I am considering going to Bonaire this September for a week with my wife - who doesn't dive - so the main emphasis will be cycling and snorkelling (although I'll sneak in a few guided dives).

However, the SCTLD situation is very worrying. In terms our holiday enjoyment, I am concerned that the changing nature of the situation will mean more snorkelling / diving sites may be closed (I have checked the STINABonaire and InfoBonaire web sites so know the current situation), the quality of the snorkelling / diving will be much reduced in many sites and the mandatory precautions and guidelines (necessary I know) will be bit of pain and detract from the holiday - which I was hoping would be carefree, wonderful snorkelling around the island.

I'd probably avoid the infected sites and site of concern - so it doesnt seem to leave much!

I know there are a few threads on here regarding Bonaire but though would ask directly - is it worth going? We are flyng from the UK so its a long expensive haul. any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks Andrew
I don't think Bonaire is a good choice for a non-diver. Maybe, take a look at Curacao.

As to SCTLD it is already spread all over. The only sites closed are North of Karpata. I don't think you would have any problems with snorkeling. Take note the water is hot. I was just there and water temperature was 86° F or 30° C.

However, as I said I don't think Bonaire is a good choice when with a non-diver.

Non-diver will not appreciate Bonaire. At least that has been my experience (DW)

I would be less concerned with the effects of SCTLD on the coral--it's almost EVERYWHERE in the Caribbean now--than I would with having to comply with the mitigation measures now imposed on divers (and snorkelers, I would assume). I have visited Bonaire many times and am familiar with the sites, and even to me it seems burdensome. I can only imagine a new visitor being faced with trying to determine which of the Green, Yellow or Red sites to dive/snorkel (if open) in what order, when to disinfect wetsuits in between, etc. Or, you could just flout the rules, as posts in other threads here have said appears to be common, and enjoy a "carefree, wonderful" trip. <sigh>

Good lord. I just dropped a few grand on the upcoming SB trip. I certainly hope it is.

I would be less concerned with the effects of SCTLD on the coral--it's almost EVERYWHERE in the Caribbean now--than I would with having to comply with the mitigation measures now imposed on divers (and snorkelers, I would assume). I have visited Bonaire many times and am familiar with the sites, and even to me it seems burdensome. I can only imagine a new visitor being faced with trying to determine which of the Green, Yellow or Red sites to dive/snorkel (if open) in what order, when to disinfect wetsuits in between, etc. Or, you could just flout the rules, as posts in other threads here have said appears to be common, and enjoy a "carefree, wonderful" trip. <sigh>
if we dive nude can we avoid the decontamination of the wetsuits?

Or will we have to do a full body wax to make sure nothing gets stuck to our body hair?

if we dive nude can we avoid the decontamination of the wetsuits?

Or will we have to do a full body wax to make sure nothing gets stuck to our body hair?
On a more serious note, what about people who dive or snorkel in board shorts and a rashguard instead of a wetsuit? Sure, as scuba divers, they will still have a BC to disinfect, and my guess is that residual water in a BC bladder is at least as much a concern as the BC outer surfaces. But what about clothing? Do the rules suggest you stand under an outdoor shower between dives? And okay okay, maybe your joking is actually not as absurd as it seems at first blush--what about our bare skin? I'm not good with ambiguity.

While I applaud the efforts of STINPA, and the compliance of the dive community, I fear the genie is out of the bottle. That said, I would not let it deter me from visiting Bonaire or any other island at this time. In fact it makes the drive to visit all of them that much stronger. Gotta see it before it's gone.

Now Bonaire for non-divers, it's probably not the best choice.

They are really pushing it for Eco-Tourism, but they are building everything up on the shore which threatens the reef just off shore.

For an avid cyclist lapping the island could be done in a day, about 75 miles max elevation 750 feet.

On a more serious note, what about people who dive or snorkel in board shorts and a rashguard instead of a wetsuit? Sure, as scuba divers, they will still have a BC to disinfect, and my guess is that residual water in a BC bladder is at least as much a concern as the BC outer surfaces. But what about clothing? Do the rules suggest you stand under an outdoor shower between dives? And okay okay, maybe your joking is actually not as absurd as it seems at first blush--what about our bare skin? I'm not good with ambiguity.
True. I dive in board shorts and a rashy. I just wonder about the efficacy of such measures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom