Bonaire - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We know the island is very much a sacred cow to this community...
Bonaire is nice, fishy, Caribbean reef diving without a lot of varied topography. The island has a friendly (not posh), European vibe and pretty sunsets. It's certainly worth a visit (along with lots of other Caribbean dive spots). The uniqueness is the nearness of the reef and the shore diving infrastructure. You're either into "dive freedom" and all that it entails or you're not. For those that are, it's special. All IMHO, YMMV.

As far as STINAPA rinse rules...they don't seem that onerous or complicated to me, but if I was herding a bunch of cats they might give me pause as some folks do love to struggle & whine in groups at the least inconvenience...so there's that. 😎

My wife and I are here right now for our second trip. First trip was great, but our rental house was inland. This trip has been one of the best trips I've been on in years. We grabbed a place that sits on the water. We've been sleeping in, doing one 2-3 hour dive a day (on ccr so its easy to do), then come back and snorkel and goof around. I had no idea that being on the water would make it so much more fun.
Even if I didn't dive I'd still be having fun

I'm 2 1/2 weeks into a 4 week stay. Sad about a few of the stoney corals, but most are quite unaffected.
Best dives so far? And—is the water extra-warm For September?

Best dives so far? And—is the water extra-warm For September?
Best dives for low SCTLD are in the North....north of Oil Slick; La Dania's Leap today was magnificent. Huge fields of 100% heathy coral cover.
P9130620.jpg

My wife and I were there 3rd week in August, and both dive computers said 82 degrees. I've never seen 86 on a dive in Bonaire (perhaps in the shallows along shore?).
It was consistently 86 or 85 degrees. There were some parts where it went down to 83. It was very warm. Last year in October was even worse. However, I bet this October is even warmer than last year.

Dive computers are typically spec'ed -- if they are spec'ed at all! -- to plus and minus 2 deg C, or about plus and minus 4 deg F.
Unless you have done some sort of calibration on your computer, arguing about 82 versus 86 is pretty meaningless.

Dive computers are typically spec'ed -- if they are spec'ed at all! -- to plus and minus 2 deg C, or about plus and minus 4 deg F.
Unless you have done some sort of calibration on your computer, arguing about 82 versus 86 is pretty meaningless.
But it is a Shearwater so it has to be correct... haha

Not to hijack, but same with Cocos. Was there from 8/26 to 9/5 and only had 2 dives that were below 80 F. Average temps were in the 83 range. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom