Info SCTLD closures on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One piece of new info suggests alternative f above -- outside pressure on STINAPA -- is not the case;, that all that is going on or not going on is due solely to STINAPA.
Perhaps they've just given up trying to manage an unmanageable situation.

I queried STINAPA re there not having been an update of their ArcGIS map of infected sites (the green, yellow, red map) since Sept 27, i.e. 4 weeks ago.
Their response? No changes, "it remains the same."
This is a little hard to believe.....so I'm guessing the spectrum includes:
(a) no changes
(b) small changes not worth reporting
(c) no new observations hence no changes seen, thus nothing to report
(d) conflicting information with no way to rationalize and report it
(e) it is so bad that reporting it would just be depressing
(f) governmental/tourist-board/dive-operators have requested STINAPA to stop making Bonaire look bad
(g) the precautionary game is over, but no conclusion on how to report that the island is effectively red
etc

Alternatives a and b seem unlikely, given the rate of changes prior to Sept 27.
c is possible, especially given the recent attention being given to bleaching
d and e are possible
f has some likelihood, but STINAPA is usually pretty autonomous.
g is possible.

No information like this makes it difficult for folks to decide whether to go to Bonaire or not.

I have two more pieces of information I'm waiting for from Bonaire and will report any status change.

One piece of new info suggests alternative f above -- outside pressure on STINAPA -- is not the case;, that all that is going on or not going on is due solely to STINAPA.
The second piece of new information pretty much confirms that alternatives c and d above are operative: the current level of bleaching (due to extended high temps) is sufficiently severe that it is confounding the monitoring and ID of SCTLD, and diverting the attention of the limited manpower available to monitor and report on SCTLD. STINAPA reports that during bleaching Alert level 2*) the SCTLD prevalence decreases; no one knows why. The good news is that the northern sites still seem to be free of SCTLD. The bad news is that at some of the red sites the coral mortality (due to SCTLD) is approaching 15%.

* Bleaching Alert Levels
1698372690296.png

STINAPA has not revised the site colors in its latest map (Oct 30) but they have revised the introductory words at their site. It now ways:

STONY CORAL TISSUE LOSS DISEASE

Many countries and islands in the Caribbean have been fighting a disease called Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) for almost a decade. It was first reported off the coast of Florida in 2014. Since then, it has spread to 22 different countries and territories in the Caribbean. Recently, it was detected on Bonaire’s reefs. SCTLD is a novel white plague-type coral disease that is highly lethal and fast-spreading. For a long time, the southern Caribbean was one of the last places in the region where SCTLD had not been detected, but with the recent outbreak in Bonaire this year and the detection in Trinidad and Tobago in 2022, it seems the disease has now spread throughout the entire region. This disease spreads rapidly and causes tissue loss in corals causing them to die. It affects >20 coral species in the Caribbean.
In Bonaire, it has been found on 9 coral species, the most common being: Flower coral (Eusmilia fastigiata), Grooved Brain Coral (Diplorialabyrinthiformis), Great Star Coral (Montastrea cavernosa) Knobby Brain Coral (Pseudodiploria clivosa), Boulder Brain Coral (Colpophylia natans), and Maze Coral (Meandrina meandrites). The disease’s persistence in affected areas and continued spread represent one of the most important threats currently facing our reefs.
Your help is vital to monitor and contain its spread. We urge park users to follow the following SCTLD guidelines and general marine park rules (keep away from pointer sticks, gloves, touching, removing, and always have good buoyancy).
If you wish to look at any of the professional literature on this subject, certain short-names are used for the affected corals, but the short names are based on the scientific names, not the common names.
Here are the translations:

Flower coral (Eusmilia fastigiata) EFAS
Grooved Brain Coral (Diploria labyrinthiformis) DLAB
Great Star Coral (Montastrea cavernosa MCAV
Knobby Brain Coral (Pseudodiploria clivosa) PCLI
Boulder Brain Coral (Colpophylia natans) CNAT
Maze Coral (Meandrina meandrites) MMEA
The other species (less commonly affected in Bonaire, but affected nonetheless) are:
Pillar Coral (Dendrogyra cylindrus) DCYL
Symmetrical Brain Coral (Pseudodiploria strigosa) PSTR
Star Coral (Orbicella) ORBI (Boulder Star OFRA and Lobed Star OANN)
Lettuce/Saucer/Sheet Coral (Agaricia) AGAR

Some pictures from Bonaire may be found here.
Pictures from Puerto Rico are here.
See also here for an excellent summary, and here for the NOAA summary.

I guess STINAPA may be having a hard time because of the Bleaching event that happened sonce it is hard to tell bleaching from SCTLD. Probably why updates are slow to come out.

Looking at the latest map (almost a month old) it is game over. I applaud the efforts to slow the progression of SCLTD but it may be time to remove all restrictions.
Yellow is just like being a little bit pregnant.

Looking at the latest map (almost a month old) it is game over. I applaud the efforts to slow the progression of SCLTD but it may be time to remove all restrictions.
Yellow is just like being a little bit pregnant.

I agree, and I assume if they are correct by saying the warmer waters slowed down SCLTD (although bleaching was bad) then the spread should start speeding back up again with the water cooling down.

a few sites north of Karpata are now open again
I don't see that the map shows which sites are open vs closed, but based on this message is it correct to assume that everything up to and including Playa Frans is open now?

Some sites in the north and Klein Bonaire were temporarily closed for a period. However, all dive sites are now open, with the exception of Washington Slagbaai Park, which remains closed for diving. The park is open for all other activities.
Source: Bonaire National Marine Park

I don't know the east side as well, but I would think everything in north east that doesn't require driving through the park to get to would also be open, which might include Playa Chikitu.

I don't see that the map shows which sites are open vs closed, but based on this message is it correct to assume that everything up to and including Playa Frans is open now?

Source: Bonaire National Marine Park
Per your source "Some sites in the north and Klein Bonaire were temporarily closed for a period. However, all dive sites are now open, with the exception of Washington Slagbaai Park, which remains closed for diving. The park is open for all other activities."
ONLY WSP is closed for diving but open for snorkeling. All other sites are open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom