Long Hose in public

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms:
It's interesting to note that RTodd and Grajan both demonstrate the very anti-social behaviour that has rightly or wrongly become the hallmark of DIR. If it were not for individuals like Uncle Pug and others, who have maintained their sociable outlook and approach other divers who have choosen not to follow the style of training and diving offered by GUE; I would have to join in with the majority of non-DIR divers in the scorn and ridicule of DIR. I'm just glad that the zelots in DIR are a small and dieing group.
Would you like some salsa go with that chip on your shoulder? :D

So far all my unknown buddies have been PNW divers, and I really haven't had any major issues. I did have a guy show me an SPG *way* far into the red at 15 fsw one time. That made me get a little more rigorous about gas planning my buddies gas before the dive. I like to know tank capacity, pressure, and get a SAC rate estimate. Based on that information and the planned profile I pick a point 15-25 mins into the dive and estimate how much gas they should have by that point and then ask them for their pressure at that point. I also plan a turn time and turn pressure and rock bottom for them. Based on how close my first estimate is, I adjust those on the fly. Generally speaking, that's good enough for a 'weenie' dive because mostly what I need them for is if I spring a leak and need to get on thier octo. The definition of a 'weenie' dive is also dependent. I've been down to 100 fsw with people I just met, but that was at dive sites that I was comfortable with and with people who seemed pretty safe after chatting with them in the parking lot.

Everyone I've been diving with though has at least been committed to more than just vacation diving. I haven't experienced the once-a-year warm water vacation diver yet...

RTodd:
Take Grajan's posts. He seems to have the right attitude. It would be great if we could turn him to the dark side.
It was looking bad for a while. I was getting covered in metal clips and 'H's were appearing all over me but I managed to buy a pair of bright yellow Quattro's and break the spell...:crafty:......

nitroxbabe:
I wasn't under with them. Doo-doo happens. I'm not pointing fingers here.

Yep, it's a good idea to check on your buddy's gas situation. But each diver is responsible for themselves. You can't count on someone else being able or even willing to help you out if you have a problem.

Please reserve your non-DIR answers for another forum, your response here has no place in the DIR forum.

If you can't count on someone else being able or willing to help you out if you have a problem, why dive with them? That's exactly why most of us choose not to dive with non-DIR divers, as they won't be able to save us should the s&%t hit the fan. There are people that I trust above water with my life, my best friend of 15 years for example, however, I won't dive with him because he's reckless and dangerous underwater.

I'm sick of all these 5 page threads with more than half of the responses to the questions being from non-DIR divers who give non-DIR answers or non-DIR divers who question the responses from DIR divers. Keep in mind what forum you're in, go to "Basic Scuba Discussions" if you have a problem with the DIR responses to questions that were posted in this forum.

Mods - I challenge you to clean up this forum to keep it the way it was intended, this is ridiculous.

Mel

melfox26:
I'm sick of all these 5 page threads with... non-DIR divers who question the responses from DIR divers.
There is nothing wrong with people questioning the answers given them. It's part of the learning process.

cornfed:
There is nothing wrong with people questioning the answers given them. It's part of the learning process.

I'm referring to those that deviate from the original question, specifically challenging answers to DIR questions from DIR divers. Of course there's nothing wrong with people genuinely questioning things they do not understand.

Mel

melfox26:
I'm sick of all these 5 page threads with more than half of the responses to the questions being from non-DIR divers who give non-DIR answers or non-DIR divers who question the responses from DIR divers. Keep in mind what forum you're in, go to "Basic Scuba Discussions" if you have a problem with the DIR responses to questions that were posted in this forum.
I am afraid I started the non-DIR thread.. I had honest intenstions but I can see that I have made a mistake..

Sorry

melfox26:
Please reserve your non-DIR answers for another forum, your response here has no place in the DIR forum.

If you can't count on someone else being able or willing to help you out if you have a problem, why dive with them? That's exactly why most of us choose not to dive with non-DIR divers, as they won't be able to save us should the s&%t hit the fan. There are people that I trust above water with my life, my best friend of 15 years for example, however, I won't dive with him because he's reckless and dangerous underwater.

Mods - I challenge you to clean up this forum to keep it the way it was intended, this is ridiculous.

Mel

... and I challenge you to read the quote in context and tell me why it's not appropriate.

This forum is for DIR answers ... certainly. And it is expected that when someone posts in here they are looking for DIR solutions to the questions they pose ... that's a given. However, this thread is from a non-DIR diver wanting a DIR perspective to a non-DIR situation.

And although I'm one of those mods who "cringes" at times to RTodd's responses ... in this thread, he's providing excellent DIR perspectives on the topic in question ... and using the very non-DIR responses you find objectionable to do so.

The quote you're objecting to was taken out of context, and it wasn't providing a "non-DIR" answer to the question ... it provided a non-DIR example that enabled a discussion of exactly why DIR divers take the approach they take.

As such, it was appropriate to have in this forum, in this thread, to address the question posed by the thread originator.

Personally, I think it would be inappropriate for a moderator to "cut" such a response from the thread ... and I'm fairly certain we'd get complaints from other readers if we did.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

UnixSage:
You folks that dive with a long primary. Lets suppose that you are on vacation w/o any of your normal dive buddies.
When I went to Fiji last fall (without my regular buddies) I replaced the 7' long hose with the DIR compliant 40" primary hose. It is perfectly acceptable to use a 40" primary hose for single tank open water recreational diving. The shorter *long hose* is much better for such settings.

Still, I explained that in the event of an OOA I would donate the regulator I was breathing. With the backup bungeed under my chin it is fairly obvious that they are not going to be able to access that in a timely manner anyway.

This doesn't exactly answer your original question which presupposes that the 7' long hose is the one always used but I hope it is helpful anyway.

Uncle Pug:
When I went to Fiji last fall (without my regular buddies) I replaced the 7' long hose with the DIR compliant 40" primary hose. It is perfectly acceptable to use a 40" primary hose for single tank open water recreational diving.
Why did you switch hoses? I found myself in a similar situation and just kept the 7 ft hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom