Long Hose in public

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? Because I'm DIR! Right tool for the job, ya know. :D

The 7' hose is not the best tool for those kinds of dives and it unnecessarily complicates things topside.

Uncle Pug:
Why? Because I'm DIR! Right tool for the job, ya know. :D

The 7' hose is not the best tool for those kinds of dives and it unnecessarily complicates things topside.

You wanna elaborate on this?

How are you routing this 40" primary?? (are you trolling again UP?)

doesn't GI3 have that setup in the DIR3 video hooked up to a single AL80?

mer:
You wanna elaborate on this?

How are you routing this 40" primary?? (are you trolling again UP?)

We used to route the 40" with a 90 degree angle adapter (non swivel) and route the hose under our arm like the sherwood Maximus. We also used these adapters on stages but quit doing that due to the extra o-rings and lack of much benefit so this may have changed on OW regs too. Since the 40" has fallen out of vogue and has some downsides when diving with DIR buddies, I never use it anymore and can't say what the current recommendation is on this.

I like having the long hose in all situations. Let's assume a single tank dive on a somewhat shallow wreck, but there is current, and I need to get back to the boat. So it's a thirds dive. OOG (first stage failure) at turn point and now we have to swim back to the exit point. Our DIR gas planning has us with enough gas to travel back to the entry point and do a min deco ascent, but swimming in a current with a 40" hose is not going to be fun.

What advantages does a 40" provide over a long hose?

I have muscle memory for dealing with a long hose and especially since I almost always dive with my can light, even in a single, I don't see a reason to change things out.

mer:
I like having the long hose in all situations. Let's assume a single tank dive on a somewhat shallow wreck, but there is current, and I need to get back to the boat. So it's a thirds dive. OOG (first stage failure) at turn point and now we have to swim back to the exit point. Our DIR gas planning has us with enough gas to travel back to the entry point and do a min deco ascent, but swimming in a current with a 40" hose is not going to be fun.

What advantages does a 40" provide over a long hose?

I have muscle memory for dealing with a long hose and especially since I almost always dive with my can light, even in a single, I don't see a reason to change things out.

While I agree that always using a long hose is preferred, your specific example is bad. On an open water dive, when you lose your gas, you would (unless it was unsafe to do so) begin your ascent. You are down to one tank. Don't push your luck and effectively continue the dive. Now, the 7' hose is much more comfortable and does allow you to begin your ascent and swim towards the boat while doing your min deco stops more easily.

mer:
OK, now I'm totally lost. Is it DIR to do a "thirds" dive without doubles/manifold/etc?

StSomewhere:
OK, now I'm totally lost. Is it DIR to do a "thirds" dive without doubles/manifold/etc?
"Thirds" has nothing to do equipment.

Dives have gas plans. Depending on where the entry/exit and whether or not you have to get back to the starting point at the end of the dive dictates the plan. Could be a third, might not be a third

NWGratefulDiver:
This forum is for DIR answers ... certainly. And it is expected that when someone posts in here they are looking for DIR solutions to the questions they pose ... that's a given. However, this thread is from a non-DIR diver wanting a DIR perspective to a non-DIR situation.

Understood, thank you for your response. My concern is regarding a lot of the threads I see in the DIR forum, not with this particular one, per se. A lot of the time, we get non-DIR answers from those who don't even pay attention to what forum they're in, that's excusable, they didn't know.

My beef is from the folks that know they're in the DIR forum and specifically answer questions in here with non-DIR answers, or those who question DIR answers, not to spark a discussion on why the DIR method is appropriate, but to cause trouble.

That, in and of itself, causes a lot of the tension we see here on the boards. Of course we're going to defend our diving philosophy, especially in the DIR forum, but we shouldn't have to. The "trolls" that purposely come in here to cause trouble should be dealt with by the mods, we shouldn't have to police ourselves.

Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom