Long Hose in public

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26:
Understood, thank you for your response. My concern is regarding a lot of the threads I see in the DIR forum, not with this particular one, per se. A lot of the time, we get non-DIR answers from those who don't even pay attention to what forum they're in, that's excusable, they didn't know.

My beef is from the folks that know they're in the DIR forum and specifically answer questions in here with non-DIR answers, or those who question DIR answers, not to spark a discussion on why the DIR method is appropriate, but to cause trouble.

That, in and of itself, causes a lot of the tension we see here on the boards. Of course we're going to defend our diving philosophy, especially in the DIR forum, but we shouldn't have to. The "trolls" that purposely come in here to cause trouble should be dealt with by the mods, we shouldn't have to police ourselves.

Mel

Since this thread just crossed 8 lanes of traffic into the ditch anyway - Trolls are fun. The bigger problem is the sort of, quasi- DIR people out there that claim to be giving a DIR answer. For instance, in a thead a while back some (6 letter word) argued there was no need to clip off backup lights and just use the inner tube. These are the ones that need to have a big, this isn't a DIR answer stamped across them. The trolls are obvious. As far as the mods doing this, think about that for a second. Most of them don't know the difference between DIR and non-DIR themselves.

UnixSage:
You folks that dive with a long primary. Lets suppose that you are on vacation w/o any of your normal dive buddies. You setup your kit and whip out the long hose. Have you had a "random buddy" take issue. Any demand a new buddy because you "broke" the standard? Just courios how it is accepted by the non-dir dive community.

Thanks

Well, not that I care much what others think, but I have had some take exception to it. I have only been using the long hose for about the last 10 dives I have done, but as soon as I switched I had comments like "Oh, that's real smart, when someone grabs the primary from your mouth you will be strangled to death for sure with that thing around your neck" So there are some people who might have an issue, but I think that 99.9% of the people with "issues" have probably never tried it.

melfox26:
That, in and of itself, causes a lot of the tension we see here on the boards. Of course we're going to defend our diving philosophy, especially in the DIR forum, but we shouldn't have to. The "trolls" that purposely come in here to cause trouble should be dealt with by the mods, we shouldn't have to police ourselves.

Mel

This brings a question to my mind if it's ok to ask. Who decides, and how often is it updated, as to what is actually DIR? Uncle Pug posted that he's DIR but he uses a different hose length in tropical waters. (maybe he was joking...he has been known to on occasion) I've read that DIR is an ongoing evolution to attain the best diving methods but how does this come about? Are there annual meetings where a DIR board reveiws new ideas and votes them "in" or "out"? Or if a new, perhaps really good idea is posted here, because it isn't official DIR, is it offensive? What's the official stand? Hank

Hank49:
melfox26:

Mel[/QUOTE

This brings a question to my mind if it's ok to ask. Who decides, and how often is it updated, as to what is actually DIR? Uncle Pug posted that he's DIR but he uses a different hose length in tropical waters. (maybe he was joking...he has been known to on occasion) I've read that DIR is an ongoing evolution to attain the best diving methods but how does this come about? Are there annual meetings where a DIR board reveiws new ideas and votes them "in" or "out"? Or if a new, perhaps really good idea is posted here, because it isn't official DIR, is it offensive? What's the official stand? Hank

Very minor tweaks occur over time, such as whether your light cord should be over or under your long hose. But, for the most part it doesn't change. I guess for the open water community it would be when GUE starts teaching something different. And yes, the GUE training directors, or whatever they are called, do occasionally meet. Many are in France right now. But, nothing as formal as voting ideas in and out. To repeat, it doesn't really change. I would strongly advise against holding your breath that any "idea" posted here that contradicts DIR will ever become official DIR.

RTodd:
Hank49:
To repeat, it doesn't really change. I would strongly advice against holding your breath that any "idea" posted here that contradicts DIR will ever become official DIR.

I see. But it seems as if there are still some gray areas...as the long hose length and use parameters indicate. Thanks.

Hank49:
RTodd:
I see. But it seems as if there are still some gray areas...as the long hose length and use parameters indicate. Thanks.

Not gray. There are things that you have to have for a double tank dive that are optional for a single tank open water dive.

Hank49:
Uncle Pug posted that he's DIR but he uses a different hose length in tropical waters. (maybe he was joking...he has been known to on occasion)
No joke. I used a 40" primary hose in Maui last year too... and I will again this fall. For open water single tank recreational diving here in the cold dark waters of the PNW I still prefer the long hose. It has its place. So does the 40" hose.

RTodd:
As far as the mods doing this, think about that for a second. Most of them don't know the difference between DIR and non-DIR themselves.
True ... but for the most part, the only mods who participate in this forum are the ones who have had some level of DIR training themselves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

RTodd:
...The trolls are obvious. As far as the mods doing this, think about that for a second. Most of them don't know the difference between DIR and non-DIR themselves.
And there are several of us who do know. But as was mentioned earlier, sometimes the non-DIR folks asking questions or even being contentious opens the door for the DIR folks to post *why* things are the way they are in DIR.

Sometimes the trolls are obvious. Sometimes the trolls work pretty hard at barely not stepping over the line so they can keep posting and not get moderated. If as a member, you see something that's obviously a troll, please use the "report post" button. This gains the attention of most of the mods and if it's a grey area, at least we'll discuss it.

To all but the stupid, afew minutes of explaining the concept behind its use and you will have an interested Rec diver seeking more info on up grading his skills. Using technical concepts in a REC situation without all the EGO involved can be very enlightening to these divers and can open up new diving vistas for them. Think Instructors ! You have a large potential of future students out there. Leave your EGOS at home and impress them with expertise,not egotise!!!

Capt. Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom