Long hose in panic situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should clarify my use of the term "graduate." Anything I learn that is above and beyond the training I've had is an advancement of skills/knowledge for me hence the term "graduate." I had never even heard of DIR before coming here, I bought the book that was recommended on another thread and enjoyed it. I've tired of stuff "dangling" all over the place and am ready to move to some other configuration. I don't do penetration or overhead environment diving so I can slowly change my gear config as $$ becomes available.

I'm sure you guys will be here to offer advice as I need it, THANKS!
Ber :bunny:

Ber,

Sounds like you're on the right track:

Read --> Think --> Criticize current gear and ability --> Read some more --> Think some more --> Figure out why different gear might work for you --> Decide to make the change to a fully different gear config --> Practice, practice, practice.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't associate long-hose use with advanced diving -- anyone, even an OW student, can use a long hose. There's no need to master the less-efficient techniques first before moving to the more-efficient techniques (despite what universities might have you believe :D).

- Warren

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Hobbs you got to keep yourself from getting into the situation in the first place.
On any dive where it would really matter there just isn't going to be any panic stricken diver grabbing me.
On any dive where there is a chance of a panic stricken diver grabbing me it won't matter but I still will keep it from happening if at all possible.
I don't dive in clusters where *someone* can sneak up on me from behind and go berserk.

I am not argueing over the fact that its better to forsee and to nip danger in the bud so to speak., ie to fix things before they break. that is ofcourse the way we want it to work. but sorry to say, it doesnt always do that.

but i would like to ask you where you dive since you have such great conditions that you can speak this way.
here we have maximum 2-5 meters the last couple of dives i have made (wich atleast i consider pretty good conditions)
and saturday we dove 14 persons on one place, and on sunday we where 5 on another place. well the worst part of the dive we had 0,3 meters visibility.

with the conditions i must say that someone can sneak up behind me without me noticing until they touch me !
how long does it take to swim 4 meters ? not long !
would he/she know where to look for me, no not realy, but that is beside the point.

since you do dekompression dives, what would happen if you drifted of just 3-4 meters in depth missing valuable deco time at that stop ? due to the fact someone is struggeling with you.
someone is coming up from a 40 meter dive with problems sees you and hogs you from below while you are comunicating with your buddy. isnt that at all a possible scenario ?

we train and think for the not so probable to happen to keep the grim reaper away when it does. train think train think ...
every dive i come to think of something totally new i have to think about and make a precautions plan for, if this happens then what do i do.

I think you pug should start thinking about someone less experienced coming and grabbing your stuff. and dont think it can not happen to you just couse you are experienced and trains. that is the worst mistake you can do, under estimate death !
that has cost alot of lives ! not onlu those who are unexperienced. both you and i know of exp divers who just basically slipped up.
we dont want to loose you ! even though you are a pain in the *** some times :wink: you give valuable advice and keep ppl thinking!

I still stand in my point that a diver should be kept in close to you (if you are rec diving) in tec diving its a totally different matter!
in tec you cannot bolt and expect to survive!
in rec you can, aslong as you keep the ascent speed down as much as possible.
There is a difference in rec and tec. dont do the mistake of treating them as the same !

ppl tend to forget that they can breath in their BCDs. (normally the hose would allow for it) and it is not teached as a way of saving onces live, but atleast i train for it (and yes it was a bit** in the beggining, but soon i came around and it was no biggie.

if you do that right then an OOA situation comes to the point where you atleast have some air.
I have 23 litres as a maximum in my bcd = 2,3 bar on my gear
normally i would have around 7-8 litres (estimated) in the bcd depending on deapth and so on. and I can breath that air. is it good ? no but it still beats breathing water! just remember that the hose makes the co2 levels rise quickly (dead space) and to not hold the breath ! always keep open airways.

take care
dive safe !

Holy crap, Hobbs. Your post might just be full of more crazy topics than any single post I've ever seen before. I'll just have to respond to it after lunch.....

- Warren

Originally posted by Hobbs
but i would like to ask you where you dive since you have such great conditions that you can speak this way.
here we have maximum 2-5 meters the last couple of dives i have made (wich atleast i consider pretty good conditions)
and saturday we dove 14 persons on one place, and on sunday we where 5 on another place. well the worst part of the dive we had 0,3 meters visibility.

with the conditions i must say that someone can sneak up behind me without me noticing until they touch me !
how long does it take to swim 4 meters ? not long !
would he/she know where to look for me, no not realy, but that is beside the point.

since you do dekompression dives, what would happen if you drifted of just 3-4 meters in depth missing valuable deco time at that stop ? due to the fact someone is struggeling with you.
someone is coming up from a 40 meter dive with problems sees you and hogs you from below while you are comunicating with your buddy. isnt that at all a possible scenario ?

First of all, thanks Hobbs for you kind words... :wink:
Second, there is too much in your post to deal with specifially right now....:wink:
Third... well... there is no third so let me give you the short answer you on this one question:
>>>isnt that at all a possible scenario ?<<<

No.

Perhaps I should elaborate as I tend to be too circumspect at times.

I would not be diving in the clusters you are. The conditions you describe I suspect are largely a result of your cluster diving. The visibility would likely be better if there were not so many of you in there stirring the pot. If the undisturbed conditions involved 2~3 meter visibility I might still dive... but certainly not in a group. This is basic pre-dive planning.

When doing deco dives I do not anticipate a rec. diver coming up from the depths to mug me in the near zero viz. Why you ask?
Because:
1. I won't be diving a staged decompression dive in low viz.
2. I won't be diving a staged decompression dive in a cluster.
3. I maintain situational awareness which includes knowing who is where.
4. I have a buddy who is equally aware of what is going one around us.

Maybe I missed it somewhere in here, but I was taught a little different why a long hose was used. It seems, of course I read real fast, that most of the people here advocate it to get a panic stricken diver away from them. I was taught that a long hose was used in over head environments so that the person who was recieving the air could lead. There are places in overhead environments where you can not swim side by side, and you need to swim single file. The long hose was to allow this. The reason the person recieving air led was so that you did not accidentally pull the regulator from their mouth by swimming to fast.

I just figured folks used it in open water because that was the setup they used for caving, or wreck diving, and chose to stay with diving the same setup all of the time.

Originally posted by Big James
It seems, of course I read real fast, that most of the people here advocate it to get a panic stricken diver away from them.

Even though we are not diving right now I need to use the same principles and get out of the cluster.... the visibility is really getting torn up....:wink:

I don't know what the others here are doing with their long hoses.... Or their choke holds on one another in zero viz....

Diving in restrictions the long hose preforms as you suggest....
Diving in OW, especially in deco dives.... it allows you and your OOA buddy to maintain independant buoyancy control.

Whew! What was I doing in there rolling around with the panic issue!:wink:

UP, looks like you're struggling there :wink:

Briefly, though:

- with a short hose, you dance near and you cant dance far.
- with a long hose, you dance far, but you can dance near.

How hard is that to comprehend ?

Lessee heah, Hobbs...

1) UP's right, your charlie foxtrot scenario "underwater mugging" has a statistically insignificant chance of occurring, and therefore need not be considered. If you're going to consider it, I'd like you to also plan contingencies for dealing with fresh meteorites plunging downward in the water column. Don't forget to differentiate between nickel-iron and chondritic meteorites, as they are quite different.

2) Someone less experienced coming up and grabbing UP's stuff? UP has a mean left-hook, that should take care of it. I highly doubt UP would avail himself to diving with a buddy who takes to "grabbing stuff."

3) No one who's still alive makes the mistake of treating recreational and technical diving the same way. However, one can always hedge one's bets and treat everything as a technical dive. Id est, one can use technical gear and technical protocol in a recreational environment, with the result that the recreational dive is even safer than before.

4) BCD breathing is practically useless. The only way you'll ever end up sucking on your BCD is if you lose both of your primary regs, and your buddy also loses at least one reg. This situation has a statistically insignificant chance of occuring. Besides the point that it's useless, you're incorrect in your methodology. You're welcome to breath from your BC, but you should never exhale into it. Hold the power inflator button down, breathe from the inflator mouthpiece, exhale into the water. Repeat. The rule of thumb is to "breathe, but never rebreathe" your BC. Also, if you have 7-8 liters of air in your BC (which is something like 16 lbs of lift) you're probably overweighted. If you have a BC that holds 23 liters (50 lbs of lift), you have selected very inefficient gear.

- Warren

Back
Top Bottom