Trip Report Socorro Jan 2021 Diving Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fantastic report -- thanks for doing it. Also, it is a small thing, but it is really cool that you give credit to each of your photo sources (even the DM whiteboard of the dive site).

Thanks for your kind words!

The DM’s did excellent job and I like Pato’s drawings of the dive sites. They illustrate the the underwater scenes very well.

They also did the dive briefing very well. You don’t want to miss them when you’re there.

@Dan

it's impressive you can saw so many things in January especially hammerhead. I thought Hammerhead peak season in Socorro is about April to June. Based on your experience/research, is school hammerhead OFTEN seen in Socorro? If Indonesia trip is not viable this year due to quarantine, I may plan for Socorro instead, but want to check out hammerhead for sure.

Reactions: Dan
@Dan

it's impressive you can saw so many things in January especially hammerhead. I thought Hammerhead peak season in Socorro is about April to June. Based on your experience/research, is school hammerhead OFTEN seen in Socorro? If Indonesia trip is not viable this year due to quarantine, I may plan for Socorro instead, but want to check out hammerhead for sure.
I was in Socorro in May 2021 too. There were hammerheads then, but not as many as what I saw in January 2021.

Even on my December 2018 trip, I saw schooling of hammerheads in much greater numbers than in May.

I was just there 12/23-12/31 and we saw schooling hammerheads a bunch of time.

7EDE8AD8-9C15-4C66-A0FE-2726B53A6403.jpeg

Attachments

• E32A8024-D538-42A9-ADCE-CD4F84B902A8.jpeg
    E32A8024-D538-42A9-ADCE-CD4F84B902A8.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 73
@Dan
Hey Dan, I see Nautilus offers two tank sizes 12L and 15L? Do you reserve that during check-in? I'm looking at getting a 15L tank but not sure what's that in CF. Is 15L a HP 130CF tank? I like to have a 100Cf tank.

@Dan
Hey Dan, I see Nautilus offers two tank sizes 12L and 15L? Do you reserve that during check-in? I'm looking at getting a 15L tank but not sure what's that in CF. Is 15L a HP 130CF tank? I like to have a 100Cf tank.
I think 15L tank is equivalent to 100cf tank with different aspect ratio (short & fat instead of tall & skinny)

I think 15L tank is equivalent to 100cf tank with different aspect ratio (short & fat instead of tall & skinny)

Thank you very much. Been reading all your past trip report to prepare for my trip.

Reactions: Dan
The 15L tank in the boat could be a steel tank that would require less dive weight that you would normally use for Aluminum tank. You’ll find out the appropriate dive weight you’ll need during your check out dive (1st dive of the trip), which is usually in the shallow area in San Benedicto. DM would be diving next to you to help you getting the appropriate dive weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom