Log books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheter I'm teaching or just relaxing I always log my dives. In all my time diving (since the late 60s) I've been asked to show a log book once.
I log both electronically from my Gallieo Sol to my computer and have a signed paper log too.
Is it necessary? To me yes! I love looking at my record of previous dives. 30 years from now you may enjoy looking at the record of your dives and you impressions too.
It takes 5 minutes per dive and does give you a chance to reflect on that dive before closing the "book" on that dive.
Let us know what you decide.

I've never been asked to show a logbook, but I do keep one. I quickly stopped using one of those paper-wasting PADI logbooks and found a 3x4" diary type booklet with lined paper. I log 3-4 dives per page, often just the #, place and date. It's also the logbook of my buddy (my wife, who has no interest in keeping a logbook). And, it includes things such as restaurant reviews, addresses and phone numbers of people we have met, dimensions of windows in our condo in Bonaire (Sand Dollar A15), plus information about things we saw above and below, and reminders about things that need to be looked up in reference books at home, plus any miscellaneous information that we think might prove useful at some point.

Sooo... Do you need another wife? Per chance:eyebrow:

I log each and every single one of my dives, partly because I like to take a walk through memory lane, but also because I've nowhere near finished my technical training yet. There are a few more courses I'd like to sign up for, and I like the idea of being able to provide a full logbook if asked. (Probably isn't an issue with instructors that have dived with me before, but the best-laid plans can go south...what if I end up working with an instructor other than the one I have planned, who doesn't know me at all?)

There was one case where I had to show my logbook: my first Northeast wreck dive. I don't think it counted for much - the captain was much more interested in learning from my fiance (a good friend of his, and a regular on the boat) whether I was 'sound'. But it was still good to be able to produce a logbook when asked.

I use a standard logbook, but with so many whizz-bang computer download options, I bet you could compile an amazing logbook of your own, courtesey of your dive computer and your home computer. Only if you want to, of course - there are plenty of folks out there that don't, and they get along just fine.

Really? Let's take JahJah's hypothetical example as he posted it.

You've just booked a week long vacation to a popular Scuba Diving destination. You show your stack of cards, the dive shop owner slowly shakes his head side to side and says "No way I need to see a logbook" and you say "Never mind I'll just find a better way to spend the afternoon".

JahJah please pardon my ignorance, but what would that be, exactly?

Way to take an example, try to apply it to an extreme situation, when you know I already agree with you on this topic.

If I were going somewhere away to dive, I'd ask if they needed proof. My example was really only applicable to local dives, and ignores the fact that I actually do ask to make sure about a log before I sign up for trips. I didnt think I needed to explain any further because I did t realize anyone would try to pick apart such a small hair. In other words, my example, "as posted it" does not apply to every situation, but only to the situations I tend to dive in. Congratulations for noticing that small bit, you get 1 Internet Point. :wink:

But honestly if they see my open water, advanced open water, nitrox, rescue, divemaster, cavern, intro to cave, aprentice, and full cave certifications, and examine my two dive computers to see recent diving history, and still think I'm not able to dive, I really would question the shop.

I'm sure most places have more than one dive operator, I could check out the competition. I could also call one of several instructor friends who would vouch for my recent diving history. I could also call dive buddies and have them tell the operator of my dives.

If all else fails, I'll have someone fax or email me the logbook, or ask for some paper and reconstruct some of it from memory.

If none of that works then I highly doubt they'll be happy with the dive log itself.
<sarcasm>
Just to be safe though I'm going to start getting all of my dives videotaped. I will be fingerprinted before every dive to insure I'm me. I'll get logs signed by a notary public as well as the presidents of every diving agency. Copies will be backed up hourly at 12 repositories around the globe kept in fireproof boxes with armed guards. Then the dive shop will know the logs were not falsified and I will always have them available when a dive shop wants to see them. </sarcasm>

:wink: keep life fun and don't stress out over something as simple as a logbook...

Last edited:
JahJah please pardon my ignorance, but what would that be, exactly?

I don't want to speak for JahJah, but for me the obvious answer is not arguing with someone who thinks a divelog is what determines capability. Of course the same thing could be said about someone who thinks a bunch of cards is what determines capability...

Find a different operator would be the easy solution to that problem, though.

I don't want to speak for JahJah, but for me the obvious answer is not arguing with someone who thinks a divelog is what determines capability. Of course the same thing could be said about someone who thinks a bunch of cards is what determines capability...

Find a different operator would be the easy solution to that problem, though.

That is so true, and part of my point. A dive log does not mean you know what you are doing. And neither does extra certification. We all dive for our reasons. I just want to do recreational diving. I will never make a living at it. I don't really have any interest in anything other than being under water. I don't care if it is a reef dive, a wreck dive or just hanging out dive. I see no reason to venture into caves, go super deep, or do anything that fancy. And I see no reason to do more certifications. This is my pleasure sport. And I want to keep it that way. For me the log book adds no pleasure and is an inconvience.:idk: Can I keep a log book, sure. My question is do I really have to keep one?

I personally let my computer download my dives to software. I add in things it wants like gear I wore, notes about the location, etc. If someone wants to see my dives I would just print off my log or download it on a flash drive for them to see.

I was horrible about logging dives after AOW, because I naively thought I'd never have to show the damn thing to anyone. Low and behold three years later my CD asked to see my dive log prior to my starting the DM program. I know log everyday, and to be honest I don't enjoy it, and only log the minimum, but at least I have a record of the dives now so as I move along in training I can show it to people if they need to see it. I'm pretty grumpy about having to log the things, even though I see the point (more or less) but if I had my druthers I wouldn't.

Michael.

There is value in a log book.

With that said, I don't keep one.

A DM card helps and when I have been asked, I've present my computer and put it in log mode so they can see the last 50 or so dives on that computer. That hasn't failed yet.

Let me add. You're there for a refresher. I personally don't care about your dive history, because you are there for a refresher. From the POV of the DM or Instructor, it is abundantly clear very quickly if you really need to relearn some stuff or if your just rusty and want and eye while you reorient yourself the the UW world.

Does anyone else not keep one? I used to dive a lot years ago. I hated keeping the log book. Paperwork is just not my style. I constantly lost it, or did not fill it out. It seemed like in the past books did not seem that important. You just told the DM on the dive shops you had been diving recently. But I also always went with the same group, so they could always "vouch" for me.

Now that I am returning to diving after a long hiatus, seems like everyone needs to "show their dive book". I guess I could start keeping one. But I bet I loose it after each dive trip.....:idk:

We are taking a refresher course later this month and the resort we are headed to after the couse said we just have to show them our "dive log" where the instructor signs off. :(

Nope... Don't care to and would forget about half the time...! :D and then what would the point be... :idk: That said, computer keeps a record and I download those when I don't screw it up and miss the first 40 dives... :shocked2:

I do keep notes on dives regarding weights, tank, wet/dry suite so the next time I dive a 3mm salt with ST100, I know how much weight I should need... that is, IF 3lbs is really 3lbs on the scale...!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom