Log books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep a log book. I generally record average and max depths, water temp, who I dived with (buddy, dive op, if i went with a group of friends, etc), and a couple of sentences about the dive, marine life, a "memorable" diver in the group, whether or not I'll use the op again. Things like that. Takes me about 5 minutes post-dive.

I keep a Log book mainly to look back and see what I have done and how far I have come.
I also use it to keep track of weights I used in different environments since in Florida we have MANY.
I have used it to increase my education.

Not a single operator has ever asked to see it they only want the C-Card.

Last time I had to show a log book was on Sipadan in 1992

But I still keep mine up to date, for several reasons, as I may return to that site again and will want to know:

Temperature
Viz
Camera and lens used
Anything special seen
Who I dived with

I keep the basics here: www.diverecord.com

It's free and allows you to download and print a summary copy in Excel or show it to someone online at a dive destination (never been asked) I was asked to show proof of a recent logged dive prior to a dive in Curacao a few years ago. So I dug up my logbook and had the DM from the previous days dive sign it. The logged dives before that were from my certification weekend - in 1981.

My regular dive buddy keeps a meticulous logbook with diveop stamps and detailed descriptions. So I could show them his, I"ve been on most of those dives...

I've never been asked for one but I do keep a written one, as well as every so often (when i remember) I upload my dive computer to the laptop. Eventually I print them. My thought is you just never know if you might need them. But I write lots of things in my written logs, like where we stayed (especially if it's somewhere I don't want to stay again), things about the dive, and where I might have seen some unusual fish and such. Also, everyone I have ever met who we have exchanged emails is in my written log book. I keep all my cards as well in my log book as well as critter identification sheets and other things I might want. It's all a personal preference i guess and most of my dive buddy don't keep logs. but guess who they will ask when they want to remember something about a dive?

Back
Top Bottom