Log books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs. K

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone else not keep one? I used to dive a lot years ago. I hated keeping the log book. Paperwork is just not my style. I constantly lost it, or did not fill it out. It seemed like in the past books did not seem that important. You just told the DM on the dive shops you had been diving recently. But I also always went with the same group, so they could always "vouch" for me.

Now that I am returning to diving after a long hiatus, seems like everyone needs to "show their dive book". I guess I could start keeping one. But I bet I loose it after each dive trip.....:idk:

We are taking a refresher course later this month and the resort we are headed to after the couse said we just have to show them our "dive log" where the instructor signs off. :(

No one has asked for my dive log except in class. I've only been on half a dozen dives since class, but no one ever mentioned it.

Does anyone else not keep one?

You're asking the wrong question. It's not about what everyone else does. That's like saying "I failed the science midterm but so did most everyone else in my class!"

I guess I could start keeping one. But I bet I loose it after each dive trip.....

Why are you so sure you're going to lose it? Find a place for it in your gear bag, then after the dive, take it out, fill it in, and put it back. Don't take it out, start to fill it in, then drop it on the ground and go for a walk. Or don't even take it out until you get back to your home (or hotel), then log your dives while sitting in a nice comfortable chair at a table as you read the data off your dive computer and reflect on the dives and what you liked and didn't like and what you might do differently next time to make the diving even more satisfying and productive. When finished, put the logbook back where it belongs. Do you usually lose pieces of gear after you use them? If so, this technique can be used for other pieces of gear as well.

We are taking a refresher course later this month and the resort we are headed to after the couse said we just have to show them our "dive log" where the instructor signs off. :(

See, it's not about whether your fellow ScubaBoard members keep a logbook or not, it's about whether you need to keep one, and it appears that you do.

A better question would be "How do I go about logging past dives so I have something to show to the refresher course instructor?"

Good question!

Do what I did.. I didn't keep a logbook at first, years later when I got really into diving I went back and communicated with old buddies-my sister being one of them, she sent me logs of all dives we did together, maybe if you took pictures during a dive vacation even if only above water it would help with memory and dates, and just think back to dives you did and vacations and places you went and throw down approximate dates and dive times and depths, and maybe a few things you remember about some of the dives. It's really all you need. You can even notate "from memory" or "as per buddies dive log" if it clears your conscience or something.

I try to focus on positives. Don't do something if it makes no sense.

Why do I keep a log book?
-I need proof of dives to further my diving certifications.
-I need proof of dives to gain access to certain dive sites.

Both of these can be faked, if you have a slightly off kilter moral compass.

-the information helps me plan future dives.
-it's something to show to my kids someday
-memories

I use two lines in a college ruled notebook per dive. I write down the date, the time in the water, the time in and out, the location, max and average depths, perhaps temperature if it's different from the standard of 72 degrees for a Florida spring, and some information about my dive buddy and where we went.

A few months after the fact, someone can ask me what the trip to the Crypt at Peacock is like. I consult my dive log and tell them that the max and average depths are so and such, that it took me XXX minutes to do the entire dive. Without the log, I'd only be able to guess.

I keep the log at my desk and use data from my dive computer to fill it out after trips. I'm slowly inputting the data into a spreadsheet as well.

I see many benefits to keeping a dive log, and do not understand why some people don't see those benefits. Logging a dive takes seconds, and it's not that hard to keep track of a logbook, especially if you use an electronic spreadhseet such as Google Documents, which is accessible from any computer with internet access.

Some people write down other info, like gas pressures, tanks used, exposure protection used, etc. Most of my diving is consistently the same in those regards. I do make note of whether I used stage bottles, though.

I have a computer that I download to a logbook software program. I don't keep a pen and ink log. I really have no desire to take anymore classes, so I don't need to show it to anyone.

If the resort wants proof of a refresher, take it at the resort, or get the instructor to give you one of those little cards that come with the refresher book.

I guess when I dive, I am looking for the feeling of diving. The relaxing ability to just float and breath. I like to be warm. And seeing things is nice. Certainly I loved seeing a sea horse. But I logged about 10 dives in the begining and then just stopped logging them. I guess I don't really care what depth I went to, or what I saw. For me, it is all about the relaxed nature of the sport. I am often happy just sitting on the deco safety spot for a long time. Sure I like seeing fish, but don't have the initiative to figure out what kind of fish.

Must just be a defect in me. The where, when, how deep and what I saw is not what it is about for me....:idk:

I logged my dives up through becoming an instructor. Now my computer shows my most recent dive, so that's enough on trips. Yeah, I wish I knew exactly how many dives I had, but it doesn't eat me up inside or keep me up at night, so I doubt I'll change my behavior.

I'm a newbie, but I'd like to add my 2 cents if I may. I see a value to keeping a log book. As has already been mentioned, there are times where it will be necessary to provide documentation for classes or particular dive sites/charters. If nothing else, several years from now I can look back to when I started and see how I've progressed with my skills, recall memories or earlier dives, or review notes about a particular dive location that may help make an upcoming dive there more enjoyable.

Of course, after a bunch of dives I may change my mind, but for the time being I'll continue to log them.

If you just have a basic certification but years of GOOD experience behind your dives then a log book would be a good idea to show to the dive shops. If you're into tech diving then I would assume a log book is crucial when signing up for a dive.

For me I have to log dives to maintain certification for my university and to be eligible for future classes. Plus I actually enjoy looking back through it.
When it comes to log book, it's really a personal preference and logistics issue for every diver.
If you feel like you're always asked for your log book, then keep one. It's really not that hard to make a system to keep track of your log book. Always keep it in the same place, in the same bag, or on the same shelf where ever you go. Just make a system to store your log book, and then you'll always have a place to look for it.
It's kinda the same approach to diving, always keep your regs on your right, your BC hose on your left etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom